PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Not making the playoffs, blessing in disguise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Not making the playoffs, blessing in disguise.

except that the chargers absolutely annihilated the pats........

if the situation was reversed, you'd be glad

And the Chargers lost to Bills. A team we annihilated twice. The Chargers barely beat the Chiefs twice. A team that if it was any other coach other than Herm Edwards, The Chiefs would have won both.

bruinz
The league seemed fit enough to have the "8-8 Bowl" as the primetime game.

Actually, we got screwed because when it comes to competition and business, business will always win. The players would vote for business because that goes to a bigger cap.

These rules would probably change if 8-8 division winners and 11-5 teams missed the playoff happened more than every quarter century.

there will always be a set of circumstances where if things happen a certain way, it doesn't fall in order.......it happens......the only real solution to this is to not have divisions and just have the top 6 teams go.........problem with that is that it is lousy when it comes to marketing and the league as a whole......if it wasn't for the 2 worst records in the playoffs, there would not be a single team from west of the mississippi in the playoffs...........I think as a league, they will accept something like this happening once every 20 years over the idea of half the country losing interest in pro football.......I don't like it either, but understand why things like this happen once in a while and move on

Tanked -

Unless something cataclysmic happened and the course of the Mississippi changed, then you'd be wrong. Minnesota is to the west of the Mississippi and they would be in the play-offs. And there'd be a 3 way tie between for the 6th spot in the NFC currently. The 3 teams would be Tampa, Arizona and Chicago. All at 9-7. I'm not sure how the tie breakers would work out.

In the NHL, they have an Eastern Division and a Western Division. You could, theoretically set the league up like that, but you'd be diluting the rivalries that are currently in place.

In baseball, they've had World Series that have been all West coast or all East coast and they've not had issues with people watching.

bruinz
The league seemed fit enough to have the "8-8 Bowl" as the primetime game.

That's because of the HYPE around the team winning making the play-offs. Also, because neither of the two main stations wanted to flex something there.

Actually, we got screwed because when it comes to competition and business, business will always win. The players would vote for business because that goes to a bigger cap.

These rules would probably change if 8-8 division winners and 11-5 teams missed the playoff happened more than every quarter century.

Well, considering that the play-off format that the league is using was only intorduced in 2002, how can you say that it happens only once every quarter century? You can't compare it to what happened previously because the rules were different and the number of teams were different. Its comparing apples to oranges and saying its ok because they are both fruit.

Best comment I've seen by a Chargers fan at the SD UT site about their playoff confirmation yesterday:

"ChargerJim
December 29, 2008 at 11:36 a.m.

Does anyone else think it's kind of funny that the Patriots won their last four games, rather convincingly, I might add, to finish 11-5, and yet they're out of the playoffs? Chargers won their last four to finish at 8-8 and get to HOST a playoff game......Life just isn't fair, is it? To those Patriot fans who've mocked us the last few years, let me just say my empathy for your situation is exceeded only by my unrelenting desire to say "Neener, neener." "

I had to laugh, cause he got me where it hurt.

The blessing is the fact, that with out brady, and injuries to key players, the patriots are still a force to be reckon with, we are blessed that in the future, the post brady era will be a bright one.

ChargerJim
December 29, 2008 at 11:36 a.m.

Does anyone else think it's kind of funny that the Patriots won their last four games, rather convincingly, I might add, to finish 11-5, and yet they're out of the playoffs? Chargers won their last four to finish at 8-8 and get to HOST a playoff game......Life just isn't fair, is it? To those Patriot fans who've mocked us the last few years, let me just say my empathy for your situation is exceeded only by my unrelenting desire to say "Neener, neener." "

oh please the chargers will be a one and done team.

The bottom line is that the Patriots needed 12 wins to win the division and they did not get it. Crushing conference losses to the Jets and Colts are why we are done. Win either one of those game and we are in, The End. Next year i hope conference games are stressed and addressed as the most important, NFC games mean nothing come tiebreaker time.

Last time BB had 2 extra months to prepare for the next season we won back to back Superbowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore