PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Not making the playoffs, blessing in disguise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Not making the playoffs, blessing in disguise.

upstater

You are missing the point. The Chargers won the division. We did lose to them. You can't say someone the Pats lost to have a less legit playoff claim because they won the division with an inferior record.

upstater

You are missing the point. The Chargers won the division. We did lose to them. You can't say someone the Pats lost to have a less legit playoff claim because they won the division with an inferior record.

He can't? Why not? Because the chargers got to play four games against the mighty Chiefs and Raiders?

Divisions are a result of travel accomodations and rivalry development (aka, interest and money). Fair system or not, you can't say they allow for the best qualified teams. Some are ok with that, I have no problem with that opinion. But in MY opinion, the best six teams do NOT make the playoffs in this system. One game early in the season does not make the Chargers better than us.

upstater

I know they won the division. I just think our loss to them is irrelevant. I mean, teams lose to lesser teams all the time. That's why I pointed out the jets and Titans example. If things were reversed and the Titans were 11-5 and the Jets were 8-8 and on top of the division, the Tets would deserve to go, but not because they beat the Titans head-to-head.

I just think the Chargers head-to-head victory is irrelevant in all this.

So, YES, I can say someone the Patriots lost to have a less legit playoff claim, even though the rules clearly say division winners go to the playoffs. To say something is less legit is strictly a value judgment.

And I'm not the only one saying the Patriots deserved it more. But deserving it has nothing to do with the reality and rules of the situation. The teams that deserve to go don't always go.

Bottom line, we're not going to have Belichick forever, and there is NO guarantee of future success in this league. When you miss out on an opportunity to play in the playoffs, it's one more year ticked away on this great era we've seen. I will never think that is a good thing, even if we legitimately did not deserve to go.

+1, I feel the exact way you do.

Honestly, I didn't see the Patriots getting by the Steelers in any situation.

But, there's always the hope that someone could take out the Steelers for us.

The Jags beat the Broncos in 1996, and we all know Parcells would have had a very tough time with the Broncos.

Once again, other than linebacks, do we actually have an aging defense? D-Line is young and good and 2ndary is young and getting there. I guess Rosie, Junior, Bru, and Vrabs somehow make everyone else collectively old?

Thank you. This is one of the biggest myths in sports. I don't think the OP was necessarily suggesting it, but it surprises me that even some Patriots fans buy into the "old" meme.

Thank you. This is one of the biggest myths in sports. I don't think the OP was necessarily suggesting it, but it surprises me that even some Patriots fans buy into the "old" meme.

Old doesn't necessarily mean in age...

For the past 5 years, does it not feel like every year we lead the NFL in injuries and starters making starts for the team?

Could that be becuase over the course of the past 5 seasons, they have basically played 10 - 15 additional games than most other NFL players?

Why do I feel our defense is old? Becuase the leadership is old... When I see the leadership role moving to younger players is when I will feel the defense gets younger. As it stands with a BB defense, it all comes from the leadership on the field, with Vrabel, Bru, and Harrison...

There's no blessing about missing the playoffs. The only blessing here is that we always have next year and going into the season, I can't think of a team that has a better shot at going all the way. And it's been like that for the last 5 years or so.

the pats are 1-4 against the AFC playoff teams..........so their omission from the playoffs is not much of a travesty.......the chargers had to play the NFC south while the pats had to play the NFC west.......the first place NFC west team would have been tied for last in the NFC south.......

it would have been nice to have the pats in the playoffs, but they collectively earned their spot on the couch........

that said, the pats are on a 3 year cycle.....2002,2005,2008 have been down years........every other year since 2001, they have at least made it to the AFC championship

they keep us more than entertained...........and it is always interesting to watch the changes after a down year

the pats are 1-4 against the AFC playoff teams..........so their omission from the playoffs is not much of a travesty.......the chargers had to play the NFC south while the pats had to play the NFC west.......the first place NFC west team would have been tied for last in the NFC south.......

it would have been nice to have the pats in the playoffs, but they collectively earned their spot on the couch........

that said, the pats are on a 3 year cycle.....2002,2005,2008 have been down years........every other year since 2001, they have at least made it to the AFC championship

they keep us more than entertained...........and it is always interesting to watch the changes after a down year

I know the NFC West sucked, but you also have to account for the fact that the AFC West sucked too. The Patriots got to play the Raiders, Chiefs and Broncos 3 times. The Chargers got to play those teams 6 times. Big difference there, and it makes up for the difference between the NFC West and NFC South.

Well of course making the playoffs would be exciting, BUT... over the past 5 years or so, the Patriots have had to play 2 additional months of football than most of the NFL.

And although it stinks to not be in the playoffs with an 11-5 record, which one year gave us the bye, it also means that we have a HIGHLY successfull football team by NFL standards that gets an additional 2 months to rest and regroup for next season.

And let's face it, when Brady went down, no one event expected to be in this position, when brady went down we expected to be out of the playoffs...

Now all our aging Defense gets another 2 months of rest, our coaches, and all those connected to the team gets a little extra rest they very well deserve.

Which hopefully translates into a powerful rested team come 2009 season.
there is no blessing in disguise in not making the playoffs. nice try :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I know the NFC West sucked, but you also have to account for the fact that the AFC West sucked too. The Patriots got to play the Raiders, Chiefs and Broncos 3 times. The Chargers got to play those teams 6 times. Big difference there, and it makes up for the difference between the NFC West and NFC South.

except that the chargers absolutely annihilated the pats........

if the situation was reversed, you'd be glad

Well of course making the playoffs would be exciting, BUT... over the past 5 years or so, the Patriots have had to play 2 additional months of football than most of the NFL.

And although it stinks to not be in the playoffs with an 11-5 record, which one year gave us the bye, it also means that we have a HIGHLY successfull football team by NFL standards that gets an additional 2 months to rest and regroup for next season.

And let's face it, when Brady went down, no one event expected to be in this position, when brady went down we expected to be out of the playoffs...

Now all our aging Defense gets another 2 months of rest, our coaches, and all those connected to the team gets a little extra rest they very well deserve.

Which hopefully translates into a powerful rested team come 2009 season.

Seems as though BB agrees w/you: Belichick on silver lining to abrupt end to season - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

The only reason I really wanted to make the playoffs after I saw it was possible is because I feel it would have forced people who hate BB to acknowledge what an amazing coach he is. I mean our entire team could get eaten by a giant lizard at the start of the season and this guy would still get us to .500 with practice squad guys and free agents.

The only reason I really wanted to make the playoffs after I saw it was possible is because I feel it would have forced people who hate BB to acknowledge what an amazing coach he is. I mean our entire team could get eaten by a giant lizard at the start of the season and this guy would still get us to .500 with practice squad guys and free agents.

If people didn't realize what a great coach BB was after winning the SB in 2001 w/the "best ever waiver and street free agent team" then they will never acknowledge this man's coaching genius.

the only positive i get from missing the playoffs is rest for our players. we have played 12 extra games over the past 5 years i believe

Yeah, but I guess I'm just going from personal experience that it takes being shown over and over and over again to break through the hate. Like for me I'm an Avalanche fan in hockey so I hate the Red Wings, but after they won the cup last year I had to stand back and just admire the amazing job that organization has done. I mean long after we fell back to Earth they remain a contender for the cup year in and year out. I still loathe them but I have to admire their skill.

except that the chargers absolutely annihilated the pats........

if the situation was reversed, you'd be glad

What? I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Just doesn't make sense. If the Patriots had beaten the Chargers, I'd be happier? Uh, YEAH!

But you're the one arguing the Chargers had a tougher schedule. They didn't. Their AFC West schedule made up for the fact the Patriots had an easier NFC schedule, and the Patriots still ended up 3 wins better on the season.

Head to head wins are meaningless when you are 3 wins apart in the standings, as I'm sure the Titans would say the same thing to the Jets. Arizona would say th same thing to the Patriots: your win against us is meaningless.

What? I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Just doesn't make sense. If the Patriots had beaten the Chargers, I'd be happier? Uh, YEAH!

But you're the one arguing the Chargers had a tougher schedule. They didn't. Their AFC West schedule made up for the fact the Patriots had an easier NFC schedule, and the Patriots still ended up 3 wins better on the season.

Head to head wins are meaningless when you are 3 wins apart in the standings, as I'm sure the Titans would say the same thing to the Jets. Arizona would say th same thing to the Patriots: your win against us is meaningless.

no......you'd have no problem with the pats going to the playoffs at 8-8 while the chargers stayed home at 11-5........

the chargers had to play the AFC west for 6 games and the NFC south for 4 games..........6 'easy' games ..... the pats had to play the AFC west for 4 games and the NFC west for 4 games .... 8 'easy' games.......

you're just complaining because the setup in its current state worked against your team ....... like I said, I wouldn't be saying 'boo' if the jets had won and there were 2 10 win teams sitting at home while an 8 win team went......admit as much

no......you'd have no problem with the pats going to the playoffs at 8-8 while the chargers stayed home at 11-5........

the chargers had to play the AFC west for 6 games and the NFC south for 4 games..........6 'easy' games ..... the pats had to play the AFC west for 4 games and the NFC west for 4 games .... 8 'easy' games.......

you're just complaining because the setup in its current state worked against your team ....... like I said, I wouldn't be saying 'boo' if the jets had won and there were 2 10 win teams sitting at home while an 8 win team went......admit as much

Of course I wouldn't mind, but I still wouldn't think it was right. Just like I don't mind that the Red Sox benefit from being an upper echelon financial team, but I still want to see MLB institute a salary cap that will help the lower teams.

I'm not going to stop rooting for a team because they took advantage of a rule, but that doesn't mean I like the rule or am forced to like that rule because my team benefitted from it.

Of course I wouldn't mind, but I still wouldn't think it was right. Just like I don't mind that the Red Sox benefit from being an upper echelon financial team, but I still want to see MLB institute a salary cap that will help the lower teams.

I'm not going to stop rooting for a team because they took advantage of a rule, but that doesn't mean I like the rule or am forced to like that rule because my team benefitted from it.

there will always be a set of circumstances where if things happen a certain way, it doesn't fall in order.......it happens......the only real solution to this is to not have divisions and just have the top 6 teams go.........problem with that is that it is lousy when it comes to marketing and the league as a whole......if it wasn't for the 2 worst records in the playoffs, there would not be a single team from west of the mississippi in the playoffs...........I think as a league, they will accept something like this happening once every 20 years over the idea of half the country losing interest in pro football.......I don't like it either, but understand why things like this happen once in a while and move on

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes