PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

N'Keal Harry (lack of) Progress Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember him being called that once or twice. Not sure by whom.

I’ve been reading more & more about BB on WRs and the draft. One article said that BB thinks that a lot of college offenses are primitive, and that projecting a WR’s potential is very difficult. He’d rather bring in an already established NFL WR at a discount because he can evaluate how they’ve done against NFL competition. Also, he said WRs can be drafted anywhere in the draft, but players like Richard Seymour (he was talking about the 2001 draft) can’t. Also, the Pats offense seems incredibly challenging to learn. So the player has to be a very quick study and likely has to be able to block well too. So that eliminates many of the potential draftees right there. Could you see BB, Josh & co. altering the offense a bit, maybe simplifying it a bit more? TB12 isn’t here anymore, and maybe it’s time to tweak some things.

I remember him being called that once or twice. Not sure by whom.
See, I would have originally went with Baloneyus, but I like Thelonius the Erroneous a lot better. Touché, @Tony2046.

Break out game tomorrow? Weak Niners defense? Gotta happen!

Break out game tomorrow? Weak Niners defense? Gotta happen!
if he sees no targets because of McD ridiculous play calling and Cam being blind & with poor throwing mechanics, even primetime Jerry RIce would not have a big game

If he can avoid falling down every time he's targeted, sure.
Its almost like we have Brandon Lloyd all over again.

My favorite Nkeal Harry play is after a catch ,which is rare, he falls right down at first bit of contact. Dude needs to find work as a hair dresser not football

My favorite Nkeal Harry play is after a catch ,which is rare, he falls right down at first bit of contact. Dude needs to find work as a hair dresser not football

I love his career ypc being under 10 for a wide receiver first round pick

The offense is Belichick's. He's given it to Weis, McDaniels, and O'Brien to use and modify, but the original 4 in binder every year is his. This is well known to people who have actually read about Belichick and his coaching days starting all the way back as a coaching assistant.

The essence for the Receiver is that he must be on the same page as the QB. That he must make the exact same read as the QB pre-snap and then must also make the same post snap adjustment. Very few receivers have shown an ability to do this. Troy Brown, Wes Welker, Randy Moss, Julian Edelman, and Deion Branch have been the most successful. There have been others who have has some success, but they are fewer and far between. Many a receiver has come in and washed out. Chad Johnson. Donald Hayes. Reggie Wayne. Jackson, Dobson, Joyce, Gabriel etc.

People talk about other teams, but none of them have the complex offense that the Pats have. Not even the Colts did under Manning. Now. Maybe Belichick should stop being stodgy about this and change. But with 6 SB wins and 9 appearances in 20 years, it's hard to question that judgement.

the offense is a variation of the Perkins/Earhart offense.

Harry vs the 49ers must have a good day or he is done. Actually, I think he was done so time ago.

The offense is Belichick's. He's given it to Weis, McDaniels, and O'Brien to use and modify, but the original 4 in binder every year is his. This is well known to people who have actually read about Belichick and his coaching days starting all the way back as a coaching assistant.

The essence for the Receiver is that he must be on the same page as the QB. That he must make the exact same read as the QB pre-snap and then must also make the same post snap adjustment. Very few receivers have shown an ability to do this. Troy Brown, Wes Welker, Randy Moss, Julian Edelman, and Deion Branch have been the most successful. There have been others who have has some success, but they are fewer and far between. Many a receiver has come in and washed out. Chad Johnson. Donald Hayes. Reggie Wayne. Jackson, Dobson, Joyce, Gabriel etc.

People talk about other teams, but none of them have the complex offense that the Pats have. Not even the Colts did under Manning. Now. Maybe Belichick should stop being stodgy about this and change. But with 6 SB wins and 9 appearances in 20 years, it's hard to question that judgement.
Interesting read which pretty much supports your position.

Harry is on a pace for 57 catches w/ 60% catch rate in a run-first offense with a QB who over his entire career is a sub-standard passer throwing to WRs.

Fans should be patient with a Year 2 WR playing with his 4th starting QB in 1.5 years.

That's all fine. Probably true (don't think the Steelers would agree but ok). Then why did he draft Harry then? He must have seen something with Harry that persuaded him to shove this principle aside in round 1 last year.

I’ve been reading more & more about BB on WRs and the draft. One article said that BB thinks that a lot of college offenses are primitive, and that projecting a WR’s potential is very difficult. He’d rather bring in an already established NFL WR at a discount because he can evaluate how they’ve done against NFL competition. Also, he said WRs can be drafted anywhere in the draft, but players like Richard Seymour (he was talking about the 2001 draft) can’t. Also, the Pats offense seems incredibly challenging to learn. So the player has to be a very quick study and likely has to be able to block well too. So that eliminates many of the potential draftees right there. Could you see BB, Josh & co. altering the offense a bit, maybe simplifying it a bit more? TB12 isn’t here anymore, and maybe it’s time to tweak some things.

Harry is on a pace for 57 catches w/ 60% catch rate in a run-first offense with a QB who over his entire career is a sub-standard passer throwing to WRs.

Fans should be patient with a Year 2 WR playing with his 4th starting QB in 1.5 years.
Nahhh forget logic or facts or being objective. You have to understand that if you were as big a loser as some of the posters on this site, you would be hoping Harry fails as well. Losers dont want to see others succeed and dwell on the negative..

Last edited:
Glass-half-full type of guy here, I'm not giving up on Harry until he is officially out of this team. I also didn't give up on Aaron Dobson.

Rivers jerseys on big discount for holiday shopping so you are in luck.

Thank you. Harry has shown flashes of his upside which should be enough, given the circumstances ( Covid limiting practicing, QB changes and injuries) to be patient long enough to see what his true upside will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes