PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

N'Keal Harry (lack of) Progress Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blame needs to be put on BB and or McDaniel's. It's not Harry's fault they won't throw him the damn ball. Only 2 targets for a 1st round pick is unacceptable.

Why won't they throw him the ball? Are they waiting for 10 yards of separation? I'm quite surprised the Boston media has been soft like Charmin not asking why a 1st round pick is not getting the ball?

It's one thing if they are throwing him the ball and he's not making any plays, but it's tough to s**t on a player when his own coaches are phasing him out.
This. He's to blame too for not making the most of the very little opportunities he's had but come on Josh, wtf you doing. This player is exactly what they thought he was at draft time. Why no fades or shots to him? At least 2 a game! I swear Josh has been a problem for a few years now.

A benching wouldn’t surprise me

Guess you missed this part:
"“So, that’s N’Keal. That’s everybody. He’s way ahead of where he was last year because he’s been on the field and he’s been practicing. You know, there was a point in time where we strung together a lot of quality reps and we need to do that again.”

Daniels is a decent reporter, but he's horrible at reading into things.

We could have had Chubb,Sutton,Ridley,Dk Metcalf,AJ Brown,Deebo Samuel,Hunter Renfrow,Andy isabella ,Terry mclaurin,Meclone hardman,Drew lock.

Instead we took SonyJarvis Green Michal and One Pump Chump(Nkeal Harry).

Hmmm.. 1st post.. Horrible.

Sony is a better player than BenJarvis Green Ellis. Pretty sure that BJGE never averaged 6.65YPC

I posted a list of 14 rookie WRs who are doing better. So forget Harry being in his second year. 14 rookies this year under short covid training camp are all better than Harry

Please show that those offenses are as COMPLEX as the Patriots ones? OH. And please show all the players that are doing WORSE than Harry. Oh wait. Someone did that and you f'in ignored it because that's what you do. You ignore facts and spin your BS.

This. He's to blame too for not making the most of the very little opportunities he's had but come on Josh, wtf you doing. This player is exactly what they thought he was at draft time. Why no fades or shots to him? At least 2 a game! I swear Josh has been a problem for a few years now.
Let's say he made the most of his very limited opportunities. We'd still be underwhelmed that he's rarely used in the passing game and it's very difficult to do much with two targets.

And I agree that it's mind boggling they don't throw more fades in the red zone (at the very worst) which was executed against the Chiefs. That and the QB runs should be red zone staples.

And no back shoulder throws? My gawd!

Just to get past the million excuses for NKeal Harry (just like for Maroney, Chad Jackson, Michel), look at all the rookie WRs this year producing despite shortened covid training camp. Not just early picks but low pick guys.

Jefferson, Claypool, Lamb, Jerry Jeudy and Higgins

Brandon Aiyuk, Laviska Shenault Jr., Bryan Edwards, Devin Duvernay, Gabriel Davis, Tyler Johnson, Collin Johnson, Darnell Mooney and Donovan Peoples-Jones

--

14 rookies this year. All better than NKeal Harry

Thank you for posting this list. It's great to makes claims that have ZERO context. It's also great to include players who haven't done jack and it's easily provable. Such as Duvernay, Johnson, Johnson, and Peoples-Jones.

Only in YOUR warped world can a guy who has 10 catches for 90 yards be considered better than Harry. Only in your warped world can a guy who has taken 47 offensive snaps, been targeted once and had no receptions better than Harry.

And please show me which of those offenses are more complex than the Patriots offense.

Blame needs to be put on BB and or McDaniel's. It's not Harry's fault they won't throw him the damn ball. Only 2 targets for a 1st round pick is unacceptable.

Why won't they throw him the ball? Are they waiting for 10 yards of separation? I'm quite surprised the Boston media has been soft like Charmin not asking why a 1st round pick is not getting the ball?

It's one thing if they are throwing him the ball and he's not making any plays, but it's tough to s**t on a player when his own coaches are phasing him out.

Him plus Asiasi zero targets through 5 games is all McDaniels

I'm actually starting to feel bad for the guy. I was psyched when they drafted him and he seemed genuinely happy and excited to come to the Pats. He was everything the Pats haven't had at receiver in forever... And he's done nothing. At this point he's got a ton to do if he's ever going to justify his first round selection...

Supposedly he's a good blocker, so whatever. The pick's been made and there's no changing it, so I may as well root for Harry salvage what he can.

The number of times I've spent yelling "f*ck you Harry" at the TV is comical, so really at this point I'd rather just move on and support the guy.

Well, if you were N'Keal's mom, you might call him a "big, physical athletic WR," but an objective observer who attends to the facts will call him the most obvious flaming bust in the dismal recent history of Pats WR draftees. He's sluggish, clueless, slow and clumsy. It looks like some stumblebum from the 70's Combat Zone took a wrong turn and found his way onto the field. Trade him for whatever, down to and including nothing whatever. He's had his chance.

And steal a scout from the Steelers so we can finally draft a little competence at WR. Not kidding. C'mon now: this is ridiculous.
Cam didn't play "okay" or "average" Sunday, he was terrible and it wasn't because players weren't open or couldn't get "separation."

When has Cam ever been a good passer, really, in his entire career? He has a career 59% completion percentage and his INT percentage in one decade is almost double Bradys in two. Now take away practice for two weeks and the coaches inability to scheme offense, to install RPO's and trickery designed to hide Cam's inefficiencies. If they miss another week of practice or go three quarters without points they should play Stidham, at least he knows the offense and can pass from the pocket. He's a complete unknown sure, but we already know what Cam is.

This breakdown from Chatham is simple and easy to understand, film has no bias. And this group of plays doesn't even include the final drive where Cam missed at least four receivers outright and missed Harry by a car length on the final pass of the game. In the first clip below Harry shakes his defender out of his cleats and makes him fall down... that's an easy TD for Harry missed. Like Chatham says in the header of his tweet, he could have posted twenty of these clips instead of just ten. If Cam were good at passing, he wouldn't be ranked 30th in attempts.

So how much longer do we have to wait before we can officially slap the bust label on Harry?

Last season, you’d be down voted to hell for even mentioning it....

I’m still shocked Belichick passed on Metcalf for this guy. Made no sense on draft night, makes even less sense now.

So how much longer do we have to wait before we can officially slap the bust label on Harry?

I’m still shocked Belichick passed on Metcalf for this guy. Made no sense on draft night, makes even less sense now.
Well last offseason I was told Cyrus Jones and Duke Dawson couldn't be called busts so we may be waiting a while.

I dont wanna see any mention of Metcalf again in this forum.
Just too damn depressing.

I was big on AJ Brown... not quite as depressing, but still depressing

Nice to see that you have such a good handle on scouting college players. Please post where you were pounding the table for Metcalf prior to the draft. Your foresight is impressive.

People talk about Harry not getting YAC. Funny how Pro-Football-refence has him down as having 4.5YAC this season.

It's not DJ Metcalf's 5.4, but it's not shabby either.

It should also be noted that, for whatever reason, the Pats are using him on shorter routes (6.6 average depth of target). Hopefully, a solidified O-line will help the passing game going forward..

Relax folks...

1.) Harry has only played in 13 professional games.

2.) Missed most of TC last year.

3.) Virtually learned all off-season.

4.) Played with Brady for 8 games, Newton for 3 games, and Stidham/Hoyer for 1 game.

5.) Is a WR in apparently what is one of the HARDEST offenses to learn...I mean Ocho Cinco couldn't hack it here...Reggie Wayne quit early...Chad Jackson...Aaron Dobson....and we tried all kinds of free agents like Eric Decker, Kenny Britt, and etc... the only FA's that worked out were: AB (great talent, but a head case), Gordon (sobriety issues), David Patten, Wes Welker, and Randy Moss. 1 is a HOF'er...and two more have a case at least. The only real home grown WR's we ever had that succeed were David Givens, Deion Branch, and Julian Edelman. Two of those left in FA (albeit one returned). Then there was Troy Brown who was already a 5 year veteran in a similar offense before having his big 100+ catch season.
===============

That being said....maybe we need to reevaluate our offense and make it simpler for WR's to get up to speed. Less option routes...and etc...same for the TE's...maybe lock each guy into X, Y, or Z and get them up to speed on the nuances of each spot one by one.

Relax folks...

1.) Harry has only played in 13 professional games.

2.) Missed most of TC last year.

3.) Virtually learned all off-season.

4.) Played with Brady for 8 games, Newton for 3 games, and Stidham/Hoyer for 1 game.

5.) Is a WR in apparently what is one of the HARDEST offenses to learn...I mean Ocho Cinco couldn't hack it here...Reggie Wayne quit early...Chad Jackson...Aaron Dobson....and we tried all kinds of free agents like Eric Decker, Kenny Britt, and etc... the only FA's that worked out were: AB (great talent, but a head case), Gordon (sobriety issues), David Patten, Wes Welker, and Randy Moss. 1 is a HOF'er...and two more have a case at least. The only real home grown WR's we ever had that succeed were David Givens, Deion Branch, and Julian Edelman. Two of those left in FA (albeit one returned). Then there was Troy Brown who was already a 5 year veteran in a similar offense before having his big 100+ catch season.
===============

That being said....maybe we need to reevaluate our offense and make it simpler for WR's to get up to speed. Less option routes...and etc...same for the TE's...maybe lock each guy into X, Y, or Z and get them up to speed on the nuances of each spot one by one.
Thank you for the much needed facts and reality based perspective, in discussion that has often been sorely lacking of both. I really appreciate your last thoughts. Tommy is gone and I can't for the life of me understand why Josh is holding on to an offense that seems overly complex and still tailored to a player that is no longer here???

Thank you for the much needed facts and reality based perspective, in discussion that has often been sorely lacking of both. I really appreciate your last thoughts. Tommy is gone and I can't for the life of me understand why Josh is holding on to an offense that seems overly complex and still tailored to a player that is no longer here???
Everyone just assumed the offense was so complicated because Brady was here and it was tailored to suit his strengths. Cam Newton is almost a polar opposite to Brady but most assume we still have a very complicated offense. Either the coaching staff isn't adjusting to a new QB or Harry just sucks.

I have no special "ins" to the Pats brain trust so I can only offer speculation based on what I see and read. To me it appears that this offense is still extremely hard for new players to pick up. And I think its fair to point the finger at Josh to some degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes