PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nick Mangold released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering how serious that ankle injury was.

Seems like it was a nagging thing, and he pushed too hard in rehab to come back and aggravated it. If that's the case, a few months off might help.

Nick Mangold says 'stupidity' caused setback with injured ankle

He could be a reasonable upgrade to Andrews if healthy. Jets fans would go ballistic watching another former high-profile Jet win a championship with the Patriots.

They landed Curtis Martin and Ty law from us.. so ****em

Add 9mil for Revis and 8mil for Sheldon (though I'd prefer keeping him and trading Wilk).

Decent cap space then.

May also look at releasing Gilchrist (7mil) and Harris (6.5). Think these depend on the draft.

Heck Marshall and Decker may even be on the cutting block.
-----------
Sucks to see Mangold go, but it was the smart move. I'm sure he still has a couple pro bowl seasons left in the tank and supposedly is a great teammate.

But he is 33 and his backup (Johnson) did play better than expected last season.

It'd be weird seeing him in NE but honestly I wouldn't care much. A guy like him deserves to go wherever he wants to wrap up his career.

If the Pats got Decker that would be a huge upgrade for our offense. When healthy the guy is a beast.

2005:

Thomas Davis (CAR)
Derrick Johnson (KC)
Aaron Rodgers (GB)
Jonathan Babineaux (ATL) - Falcons career rumored to be over though
Dustin Colquitt (KC)

2004:

Larry Fitzgerald (ARI)
Ben Roethlisberger (PIT)
Eli Manning and Philip Rivers are still with the teams that they started their career with, but they were traded for each other during draft day. So technically they don't count.

2003:

Terrell Suggs (BAL)
Jason Witten (DAL)

2002:

- (only three still active, Julius Peppers, Josh McCown and Dwight Freeney)

2001:

- (with Steve Smith's retirement, only Drew Brees still active)

2000:

Tom Brady (NWE)
Sebastian Janikowski (OAK)

1999:

- (the last time a player of this draft was active was 2013 with Brandon Stokeley and Champ Bailey)

Does Adam Vinatieri count? When was he drafted? 96 97?

Edit: I didn't know this UDFA in 96. He is gotta be around 44 years old.

Pressure up the middle remains the best way to slow down Brady. Would love this signing if it happened. Alex Mack's injury had a huge impact on the SB. Trey Flowers abused him. So critical for pass heavy teams to have solid interior linemen.

If the Pats got Decker that would be a huge upgrade for our offense. When healthy the guy is a beast.

Yeah he is. On that squad with Edelman, Mitchell, Gronk, and the pass catching RBs... it'd be a scary good offense.

But health is a big concern.

Why spend big money on a position where the Pats are LOADED and with players that Brady has a great chemistry?

Even with Scar back, that line had serious protection issues last year

THINK. Throwing money at Decker is like invading your 401(k) to buy a 3rd nipple.

Yeah he is. On that squad with Edelman, Mitchell, Gronk, and the pass catching RBs... it'd be a scary good offense.

But health is a big concern.

We don't need Decker. We're flush at WR.

....and, if you haven't noticed, the Pats are ALREADY a scary offense.

Any mention of throwing money at Decker is grade school ADHD talk. Mangold makes sense, a good TE to complement Gronk makes sense, a couple of monster LBs make sense.

Decker is a third nipple.

I did. New York Jets Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Fyi, the Revis cap savings number listed there is off by 2mil because it's set at June 1st. If cut in early March the team saves another 2mil. So 6mil in dead cap. Though they also make some of that 6mil back based on his next deal with another team.

JF79, you're a good guy and to you (not other jets fans) I am truly sorry to inform you - - -You're team remains ****ed for many years to come.

You DO realize that creating the space is only one half of the situation, right?

They are going to need to POPULATE those positions with new guys also.

The Pats have $60+ million in space and just a few specific needs.......and their 3rd string QB on his rookie contract for 3 more years is better than any QB you have.

JF79, you're a good guy and to you (not other jets fans) I am truly sorry to inform you - - -You're team remains ****ed for many years to come.

You DO realize that creating the space is only one half of the situation, right?

They are going to need to POPULATE those positions with new guys also.

The Pats have $60+ million in space and just a few specific needs.......and their 3rd string QB on his rookie contract for 3 more years is better than any QB you have.

Of course you have to replace guys.

We already have some good young WRS if Marshall and/or Decker go.

Mangold's young backup Johnson played well last season, which is a big part of the reason Mangold is being released.

Letting Revis go just makes sense regardless of whether or not there's a replacement. 15mil for what he did last year is unacceptable.

Dropping a DE (most likely Sheldon) sucks but no matter what, we're still left with two of the game's top 3-4 DEs.

Harris? My favorite Jet. But depending on the draft it could be time to let go. All things considered I'd keep in around another year or two as the defensive leader, but we've been getting younger at LB the past two drafts. 2 OLBs, and 1 ILB are entering their 2nd or 3rd season in 2017. There's a possibility of taking the top LB in the draft at #6. If so, Harris may be gone. (I'd prefer Fournette though.)

So we're not superbowl contender, but it's not like the team is just dropping players w/o replacements. They'll still be competitive if they can get average QB play. Same story as always.

Yeah he's not Mangold. If healthy even an aging Mangold is head and shoulders above Andrews.
We just won a Super Bowl with Andrews. We were 10-0 with Andrews in 2015 before the injuries. And Tom loves Andrews. He is young and durable. I'd say we're okay as C.

Of course you have to replace guys.

We already have some good young WRS if Marshall and/or Decker go.

Mangold's young backup Johnson played well last season, which is a big part of the reason Mangold is being released.

Letting Revis go just makes sense regardless of whether or not there's a replacement. 15mil for what he did last year is unacceptable.

Dropping a DE (most likely Sheldon) sucks but no matter what, we're still left with two of the game's top 3-4 DEs.

Harris? My favorite Jet. But depending on the draft it could be time to let go. All things considered I'd keep in around another year or two as the defensive leader, but we've been getting younger at LB the past two drafts. 2 OLBs, and 1 ILB are entering their 2nd or 3rd season in 2017. There's a possibility of taking the top LB in the draft at #6. If so, Harris may be gone. (I'd prefer Fournette though.)

So we're not superbowl contender, but it's not like the team is just dropping players w/o replacements. They'll still be competitive if they can get average QB play. Same story as always.

Good post. The team needs a do-over and is a few years away, so aging, expensive vets have to go. Says a lot about Bowles (if this is him) that after being on the hot seat, he's willing to risk the outrage of Jets fans by getting rid of some heroes.

Or...they let Bowles stick around to be the fall guy for jettisoning the heroes (like Bobby Valentine and Youk).

Last edited:
Mangold would be an upgrade at C and stabilize the young guards, I expect a sophomore jump from Thuny and continued improvement in pass protection from Mason. I also feel Mangold would be a great mentor for Andrews at C.

A 1-2 year contract at the right $$$ is a no brainer.

We just won a Super Bowl with Andrews. We were 10-0 with Andrews in 2015 before the injuries. And Tom loves Andrews. He is young and durable. I'd say we're okay as C.

Just because you are "ok" at a position that doesn't mean you don't upgrade at the position when a top flight player becomes available. Mangold is the best center in football over the past decade and if they look at the tape and believe that he's still that kind of player then they will bring him in and make an offer. If however Belichick and Caserio believe he's no longer a first rate center then they will quietly pass on him. I love him as a player and want them to bring him in but I trust their evaluation process completely and trust that they will make the right decision on him.

Why spend big money on a position where the Pats are LOADED and with players that Brady has a great chemistry?

Even with Scar back, that line had serious protection issues last year

THINK. Throwing money at Decker is like invading your 401(k) to buy a 3rd nipple.

Actually, suprisingly, Andrews is a decent pass protector overall. However he suffers in the run game especially when he's up against a NT. Mangold would create more of a push since he's bigger and stronger. And I read where Mangold hasn't allowed a sack in the last 33 games.

No disrespect to Andrews who far exceded any plausible expectations, but Mangold is simply better, even at this advanced age.

BTW- I disagree that the team had serious protection issues last season. Despite playing against many of the best DL's in the league, they protected very well. I think they DID play a bad game in the superbowl (especially Solder and Mason), but it was "just a bad game", not a bad season.

That being said, there definitely needs to be some improvement, and I wouldn't doubt that there will be. Remember all three interior players had 5 years exeperience COMBINED. Also Solder's problems in this game could be explained by the fact Freeney was beating him off the snap for some reason. When they both got off at the same time, he did OK. That (in my mind) is totally fixable.

And if Mason's failure are not fixable, Tre Jackson, a bigger RG is in the wings for next year, and Andrews could be upgraded by Mangold or in the draft, though I'm not sure there's that surefire C out there this season.

Isn't it great having these discussions on how to go from an A to an A+ as opposed to Jetfan79 who is trying in this thread to convince himself that going from a C- to a straight C on less than 25% of the free cap space that the Pats have is the ultimate goal?

This thread is a perfect analogy of what separates the New England Patriots from the rest of the league.

......BTW- I disagree that the team had serious protection issues last season. Despite playing against many of the best DL's in the league, they protected very well. I think they DID play a bad game in the superbowl (especially Solder and Mason), but it was "just a bad game", not a bad season......

In the Houston playoff and the first half of the SB, If TFB wasn't on his alien diet and lifestyle, any other QB in the NFL would have been out for the rest of the playoffs.

That simply cannot happen long-term. We are depending too much on Alex Guerrero there- - TFB was taking HELLACIOUS punishment - - and both teams were keying up the middle directly over Andrews.

Ken you KNOW that.

I love Andrews and he is going to be very good - - but he is undersized and needs seasoning. The Pats have disguised things well with Scar this past year, but the NFL knows the Holy Grail and it is right over Andrews' three point stance. Give him the next two years learning from Mangold and he can become a Koppen (also undersized Center, but with superior technique and smarts who became better with experience).

Last edited:
Isn't it great having these discussions on how to go from an A to an A+ as opposed to Jetfan79 who is trying in this thread to convince himself that going from a C- to a straight C on less than 25% of the free cap space that the Pats have is the ultimate goal?

This thread is a perfect analogy of what separates the New England Patriots from the rest of the league.

Tom Brady?

Would mangold take a two year deal making 2.7 million dollars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back