PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nick Mangold released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could Mangold play at Guard? The more times I watch the Super Bowl (it's an addiction) the more I think Mason is the weak link not Andrews.

sign the beast!!! andrews can learn from him and reclaim the starting position in a year or 2.

Nick needs a ring. Get him one.

I think it's an obvious no-brainer to at least take a look. Clearly, when healthy, the guy is still an absolute monster at one of the weaker positions on the Patriots' roster. Andrews is fine, and obviously you can win a Super Bowl with him. But Mangold is tremendous. No clue what he'd cost, but he might just be the kind of guy who fits the "veteran who takes a little less to come to NE for a ring" profile.

Absolutely worth a look-see.

Could Mangold play at Guard? The more times I watch the Super Bowl (it's an addiction) the more I think Mason is the weak link not Andrews.
It's an addiction for me as well.

But on your point, I think Mason will continue to improve. He had some issues in pass coverage, but he'll get better.

It's an addiction for me as well.

But on your point, I think Mason will continue to improve. He had some issues in pass coverage, but he'll get better.

Also, is Tre Jackson expected back? Or is his leg/hip going to undo him?

From 2013

Mangold said Patriots coach Bill Belichick in particular got a bit testy after the hit.

"He got heated about it," Mangold said. "I was a little surprised by that. I figured he'd have a little bit more poise. But it's obviously an intense game, intense rivalry and tempers flare. I'm not really sure (what Belichick said). I didn't catch it. There was a decent amount of yelling. So I couldn't tell you. You'll have to go to the NFL mics. I'm sure they've got plenty around."

Nick Mangold: Bill Belichick got heated after late hit

Well Welker took out Talibs knees and Belichick said it was the dirtiest play hes ever seen.
BB really looked after Talib.
Dont know if BB feels a certain kind of way about Mangold or not.

This is why we can't predict the off season. There will be a couple of players on the 2017 team that are completely unforeseeable right now. And I love it.

Anything wrong with Andrews?

It looks like about $18 million with his release. That sounds like some money, but with the top 20 teams cap wise likely over $30 million, still not so much.

Add 9mil for Revis and 8mil for Sheldon (though I'd prefer keeping him and trading Wilk).

Decent cap space then.

May also look at releasing Gilchrist (7mil) and Harris (6.5). Think these depend on the draft.

Heck Marshall and Decker may even be on the cutting block.
-----------
Sucks to see Mangold go, but it was the smart move. I'm sure he still has a couple pro bowl seasons left in the tank and supposedly is a great teammate.

But he is 33 and his backup (Johnson) did play better than expected last season.

It'd be weird seeing him in NE but honestly I wouldn't care much. A guy like him deserves to go wherever he wants to wrap up his career.

Mangold yes, will make both guards better, and Brady can step into his throws more often . Of course it depends on the price.

As Fred Kirsch likes to say, "Here's a Fun Fact!"

With Nick Mangold's pending release, there are now only 11 players out of the 255 drafted in 2006 still with the team that drafted them:
Chad Greenway (Vikings)
Tamba Hali (Chiefs)
Marcedes Lewis (Jaguars)
Andrew Whitworth (Bengals)
Jahri Evans (Saints)
Stephen Gostkowski (Patriots)
Domata Peko (Bengals)
Kyle Williams (Bills)
Kedric Golston (Redskins)
Sam Koch (Ravens)
Zach Strief (Saints).

Many of these guys (except Ghost) are either FAs this year or are close to/going to retirement. So that number could dwindle in a few weeks.

I'd like to see that same statistic for 1999-2005 as well.

Probably injury-related.

Was my favorite Jet (short list, yeah) forever. What a great and tough player. And yeah, if he had anything left, I'd be all for having him on a #iwantaring-deal.
How do u have a "favorite" Jet? :confused:

It says alot about the jests when their best player on the offensive side's nick mangold. He was injured last year but he had a pro bowl year in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back