PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL vs. Comcast, round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NFL vs Comcast, round 1

I have comcast and I used to get NFL as part of the "regular" digital package. Its now bundled with a premium sports package. This is the way it is in most comcast markets.

I have comcast and I used to get NFL as part of the "regular" digital package. Its now bundled with a premium sports package. This is the way it is in most comcast markets.

Same here. I am in Mass.

Last edited:

Aaahh... gotcha. Yeah, it's a part of the regular digital package where I live, and a constant source of irritation to my wife :)

Will the FCC also tell Comcast how many sheets of paper each executive can use to wipe in the men's room?

Will the FCC also tell Comcast how many sheets of paper each executive can use to wipe in the men's room?

Once the FCC 'mandates' that a cable company provide 'free' a service that costs them a dollar, be prepared for a $5 rate hike. Of course I'm part of a shrinking minority who believes that as bad as rapacious cable companies etc. are, it's better for all if the reliably inept govt keeps out.

Ditto in Atlanta.

Are they going to broadcast those Thursday night NFL Network games on the other channels again like they did with Giants-Pats week 17 last year? They damn sure better, at least for Pats-Jets. Dish Network doesnt have NFLN anymore :mad:

I don't understand this decision at all. The original lawsuit filed by the NFL Network (which Comcast won, but then had reversed on appeal) was about contract language between the two parties. The appellate court sent that case back to a lower court, where to the best of my knowledge it still sits. The discrimination thing is new to me, and unfortunately the decision itself (with it's rationale) hasn't yet been published in the Federal Register or on the FCC's website. I think we'll all have to wait until Tuesday (since Monday is a federal holiday) to figure this thing out.

Once the FCC 'mandates' that a cable company provide 'free' a service that costs them a dollar, be prepared for a $5 rate hike. Of course I'm part of a shrinking minority who believes that as bad as rapacious cable companies etc. are, it's better for all if the reliably inept govt keeps out.

Bingo, the less the government gets involved the better. Of course I have Directv, and they have always had NFLN as part of the basic package!

I'd like to see Comcast or Time Warner be able to bid for the NFL package. Right now its such a monopoly with Directv being the only carrier and they nickel and dime customers for the digital package that's another $100 on top of the base package.

Are they going to broadcast those Thursday night NFL Network games on the other channels again like they did with Giants-Pats week 17 last year? They damn sure better, at least for Pats-Jets. Dish Network doesnt have NFLN anymore :mad:

i have dish n/w with nfln here in the bay area.

I was watching it tonight and I have Dish Network also and live in Maine so I'm not sure what he is writing about.

Senator Specter launching investigation in 3... 2... 1....

Too bad the Senator from Philly wasn't quite as enamoured with watching Wall Street as he was looking out for Comcast and going after the NFL during Spygate.

To the comcast subscribers who have to pay for an extra sports tier to get NFLN, just be glad you can get it at all. With Time Warner Cable you can't.

I'm in PA. Had it last season, this season I don't. I was overseas much of the year so I don't know exactly when we stopped getting it.

I'd like to see Comcast or Time Warner be able to bid for the NFL package. Right now its such a monopoly with Directv being the only carrier and they nickel and dime customers for the digital package that's another $100 on top of the base package.

Why do you think cable didn't have the chance to get it? It's worth much more per subscriber to DirecTV, DirecTV pays quite a lot for it and has likely outbid everyone.

I don't understand this decision at all. The original lawsuit filed by the NFL Network (which Comcast won, but then had reversed on appeal) was about contract language between the two parties. The appellate court sent that case back to a lower court, where to the best of my knowledge it still sits. The discrimination thing is new to me, and unfortunately the decision itself (with it's rationale) hasn't yet been published in the Federal Register or on the FCC's website. I think we'll all have to wait until Tuesday (since Monday is a federal holiday) to figure this thing out.

I assume a large part of the decision is the fact that Comcast owns Versus and puts it in the standard package. This is seen as anticompetitive because they are using the content delivery part of their business to hurt competitors of the content creation part of the business. There is a certain logic there considering that cable is in many ways a monopoly -- yes, FIOS, satellite, etc. are available to some, but they are not available to nearly everyone.

Just moved into a new house in Denver and was in limbo... looks like I'll wait a little bit more.

I assume a large part of the decision is the fact that Comcast owns Versus and puts it in the standard package. This is seen as anticompetitive because they are using the content delivery part of their business to hurt competitors of the content creation part of the business. There is a certain logic there considering that cable is in many ways a monopoly -- yes, FIOS, satellite, etc. are available to some, but they are not available to nearly everyone.
That certainly makes sense. Of course, this is going to be an ongoing problem - involving many parties beyond the NFL - if last-mile providers (such as cable companies) are able to produce content as well. The network neutrality debate's come home all of a sudden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes