PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Trade Deadline “Ideas”

Both GT and DT are aging receivers whose better days are behind them. Garcon is another aging receiver who's not worth it. I'd much rather see an 'all in' approach on someone like OBJ. If you do an all-in, prime receiver, you can't get anything better than OBJ right now, especially not from what any of the dumpster fire teams out there have to offer on their rosters.

Both GT and DT are aging receivers whose better days are behind them. Garcon is another aging receiver who's not worth it. I'd much rather see an 'all in' approach on someone like OBJ. If you do an all-in, prime receiver, you can't get anything better than OBJ right now, especially not from what any of the dumpster fire teams out there have to offer on their rosters.

Along with a 774k cap hit this year which fits for this year. His contract isn’t that bad for a true #1 which the Pats need for the immediate future.

If he’s available you do what you have to do to get him with Draft compensation.

I like hogan but he has definitely not had the impact he had in the past.

Hogan 2016 (15 games):
... 3.9 tgts/gm, 2.5 catches/gm (66% catch rate), 45 yds/game, 4 TDs

Hogan 2018 (8 games, in spite of an awful first three games):
... 4.0 tgts/gm, 2.9 catches/gm (72% catch rate) 42 yds/gm, 2 TDs

Am I missing something?

Hogan 2016 (15 games):

Am I missing something?

something something sniff test something

Hogan 2016 (15 games):

Am I missing something?

Translation: Hogan has trade value!!:p

Dorsett is in his final year of his contract. If we are really targeting WR trading Dorset makes a lot of sense.

Hogan just turned 30. His cap hit for the rest of the season is ~$2M.

Dorsett is 25. His cap hit for the rest of the season is ~500k.

Which one would you rather re-sign in the spring to a new 2-4 year contract?

Hogan just turned 30. His cap hit for the rest of the season is ~$2M.

Dorsett is 25. His cap hit for the rest of the season is ~500k.

Which one would you rather re-sign in the spring to a new 2-4 year contract?
You are definitely right.I did not look at Hogan's details.In that situation the choice is obvious.

You are definitely right.I did not look at Hogan's details.In that situation the choice is obvious.

I really don't think that the situation will come up.

We're halfway through the season already, and Brady has established at least decent chemistry/trust (if not a complete mind-meld) with Hogan, Dorsett, Edelman, Patterson, Gordon, Gronk and White. All these guys already have established trust/communication with each other.

Why f*ck with that now? Really, how much could any new guy who's never played with Brady "upgrade" the current mix? I mean, even OBJ?

I would like tate but my gut says DT for a 5th and hogan to Houston in a corresponding move.

Despite the age and cap ramifications I think Hogan has more value than Dorsett to the Patriots offense, and because of age Dorsett might have more trade value to another team. So given the choice I'd still part with Dorsett. I think both will stay, though.

"Top TEs" - guys who can block as well as catch - are much, much rarer than top WRs. That said, if there's a chance to pry Kittle away from the Niners ...

Kittle is about the only TE that I think would be worth trading for.
Cooks from Oakland is a name to watch.
DW Toys

Haha Clinton-Dix appears as a trade candidate. I am in to bolster our safety position.
Good post. Young and can cover. Still thinking Peterson. Changes the whole dynamic of the Pats D.
DW Toys
Here are my thoughts on moves today. They must be considered with CAP considerations.

Peterson CB : Might take a first. O.K. What can we expect that will be better in the 2019 Draft and where we should be toward the end ? We would still control him for two years. If you consider the going price for a superstar CB he is cheap. What a great CB Combo! Move Rowe to Safety. He is our biggest S then and can cover TE.

Now the bonanza? We take Fitz on a Ray Bourque deal with a reconstruct. Send them back Dorsette. Who would you rather? Fitz, Thomas or Tate?

Robert Nkemediche DT AZ: More tackles and sacks than our DT line. Just starting to mature Was a entitled punk in college. Has the talent speed and size of Richard Seymour. Now can he get better. Still on rookie deal.

Jared Cook TE: Consider it Marty B II 36 catches. More than Gronk.

Bruce Irvin DE. Disruptive

Obi Melifonwu OLB : Move him to LB . He can be had as a FA. 6'4" and 225lbs. He can run and cover. Somebody like BB has to figure this kid might be Jamie Collins. He is a 4.46 guy. He led U Conn. in tackles at 118 in 2016. At the worst he is a younger Browner. Had injuries. Now well. He just visited.

DW Toys

Last edited:
I really don't think that the situation will come up.

We're halfway through the season already, and Brady has established at least decent chemistry/trust (if not a complete mind-meld) with Hogan, Dorsett, Edelman, Patterson, Gordon, Gronk and White. All these guys already have established trust/communication with each other.

Why f*ck with that now? Really, how much could any new guy who's never played with Brady "upgrade" the current mix? I mean, even OBJ?
because Gordon wont last and he looks slow

because Gordon wont last and he looks slow

I agree that Gordon seems slower than I would've expected. although some of that may be due to a bit of hesitation on his part that is a factor in the chemistry development process.

As to whether or not Gordon will last, I haven't bugged the coaches' offices yet, and my crystal ball is on the fritz, so you have me at a disadvantage there.

So, Thomas went to the Texans for a 4th and an exchange of 7ths. Giardi claims that the Pats were after Thomas, but needed Denver to eat some cap.

Tate went to the Eagles for a 3rd.

The two prime WR trade candidates (aside from OBJ) are now off the board. Any other ideas?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back