PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL to propose to improve a team's draft position if it hires a person of color as HC or GM

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

DO you like this idea

• Yes

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • No

Votes: 146 89.6%
  • Maybe, not sure

Votes: 8 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do like this idea, but maybe add that one woman needs to be in a coaching position too. I keep hearing that it doesn't matter if one has played the game or not, so that will make it easier to have a woman on the coaching staff.

The NYFL's idea is stupid (what a shocker eh?) and your addendum isn't any better.

Jordan Peterson does a good job of discussing this subject. He makes a lot of sense.

hmmmm......so it's ok if I use my size to intimidate? little guys only need to make themselves look big?

it's a stupid argument

The NYFL's idea is stupid (what a shocker eh?) and your addendum isn't any better.

well......it's probably coming, so you should probably makes plans to find something else to do

I don't think the league has thought this through much. If an owner has his mind set a certain HC or GM to run his team for the next decade, moving up 10 spots in the third round is not going to change his mind.

View attachment 27373

This is so mediocre for your first 8 seasons as a coach it’s hysterical.

you’re using 8-8 as an escape rope because they aren’t losing seasons

That’s less winning seasons than browns 8 years as head coach, and he founded the team and had to build it up. You can’t knock him for a tough couple of years.

Coaches have been fired from teams for never having a losing season. Hell it happened here.
1. Conveniently cutting off a run of 5 straight playoff appearances and 4 straight double digit win seasons. Obviously they thought they had something in those 8 years and got 5 straight playoff appearances for sticking with it.

2. ignoring that they had 6 consecutive losing seasons immediately before Lewis.

3. The franchise itself had 7 playoff appearances pre Lewis and had 7 with him.

You’re argument lacks relevant context and uses irrelevant details of a coaches performance in his prime with another team

special treatment based on skin color?

It’s literally the definition of racism

read the attached.........it describes those railing against this rule to a 'T'

Attachments

• carneyenos.pdf
    354.2 KB · Views: 9
You said he couldn’t run anymore. The last time Cam played he ran for nearly .500 yards. and was fine as a runner. This is an example of you using a blanket statement that doesn’t prove anything about the individual we are talking about. In general QB’s over 40 suck. That’s a fact. We kept Tom Brady 3 years in his 40’s.

Yes he averages 59. Eli Manning who had a fine career averaged a few decimal points higher. Andy Dalton got a job with a 62 average passer rating. It’s also a classic case of holding hard to a single stat. Brian Hoyer has a 59% passer rating. There isn’t an intelligent football fan on Earth that would say Cam and Hoyer are in the same league.

Physically Cam was a top 2-3 QB on the market depending on how you felt about Rivers last season. And only Brady has a higher ceiling but he’s also 43 compared to Cam’s 31.

And again restating the outcome isn’t an argument.

Obviously you just don’t like Cam because you started by saying he can’t pass anymore when his last passing year was solid. You said he could no longer run, when the last time he played he could run as good as any QB in the league. You are holding him to an injury year. You are holding him to a completion percentage (not a great stat to begin with) when someone with a 59% completion percentage got a job.

Tom Brady was the only QB on the market with a higher ceiling than Cam. Brady is also over a decade older and his last two seasons were statistically a drop for him. He had a job before he ever even hit the market
You left out the part where he said he won’t run any more. You are also wrong that “last time he played” he ran for 500 yards because he played last year, said he won’t run, didn’t run and got injured.

1. Conveniently cutting off a run of 5 straight playoff appearances and 4 straight double digit win seasons. Obviously they thought they had something in those 8 years and got 5 straight playoff appearances for sticking with it.

2. ignoring that they had 6 consecutive losing seasons immediately before Lewis.

3. The franchise itself had 7 playoff appearances pre Lewis and had 7 with him.

You’re argument lacks relevant context and uses irrelevant details of a coaches performance in his prime with another team

1)its not a convenient cutoff. I compared his first 8 years, with an established franchise, with the 8 years of a guy who followed the franchise.

2/3) I’m not knocking Lewis or saying he’s a bad coach. I’m breaking down your horrific take that he’s somehow the best coach in the franchises history.

paul brown has 2 coach of the year awards with Cincinnati. How many does Lewis have?

That depends on if you believe achieving equality in the midst of an equality gap is no a legitimate reason.
Actually before that it depends on there being an equality gap.

Also it presumes a team would hire a lesser candidate for the incentive. Which I find doubtful because a good coach or GM is more valuable than moving up a few spots in the third round.
In that case it would be useless and just done for show to pretend something is being done, much like the useless Rooney rule.

Now if both candidates are equal, then the person losing out has no claim to getting screwed because he wasn’t better than the person who got the job to begin with.
candidates are never equal

That’s also assuming you get into a one to one situation like that. Most teams usually have a clear favorite
Which is who they should hire.

You left out the part where he said he won’t run any more. You are also wrong that “last time he played” he ran for 500 yards because he played last year, said he won’t run, didn’t run and got injured.
He played 2 games with an injury and the team placed him on IR because of it. Using that against him is the definition of a disingenuous argument

It is also a pass rusher driven league.....Jadeveon Clowney and Markus Golden are unemployed......therefore, they suck

It is also a CB driven league....Logan Ryan sucks because he is unemployed

He's a 59% career passer. 59% sucks. He sucks as a passer, and he is getting older meaning he will be less effective as a runner. Not complicated.

There is no question the hiring practices in the NFL are not equitable. Same reason women make less than men.

But I don't think that's racism
Its structural inequality built into our socio economic system. It isn't people being racist, it is people not understanding how racial bias is affecting their decisions

1)its not a convenient cutoff. I compared his first 8 years, with an established franchise, with the 8 years of a guy who followed the franchise.

2/3) I’m not knocking Lewis or saying he’s a bad coach. I’m breaking down your horrific take that he’s somehow the best coach in the franchises history.

paul brown has 2 coach of the year awards with Cincinnati. How many does Lewis have?
Has Bill only been the best coach in the league 3 times? Also you are taking about other coach of the year awards. He only got one AP award (the one everyone counts) and it was the first year Cincinnati won was in the NFL after the merger. But for the UPI award, his first in Cincinnati was when they went 4-9 in the AFL and missed the playoffs by coming 5th in their division. So you either didn’t know that or thought I didn’t

Yes in any franchise the coach who

-has the most wins

-the most playoff appearances

-the most double digit win seasons

-as many playoff appearances as all the other coaches in the franchise combined

-coached the longest, is the best coach in the franchise

Jordan Peterson does a good job of discussing this subject. He makes a lot of sense.

His arguments don't hold up to scrutiny

He played 2 games with an injury and the team placed him on IR because of it. Using that against him is the definition of a disingenuous argument
I’m not “using it against him” I am stating facts. You have an inaccurate passer who is a terrible qb without running ability who is aging, has an injury history, has taken a beating because of how much he runs and the way he runs, and has said he will not run anymore.

Actually before that it depends on there being an equality gap.

In that case it would be useless and just done for show to pretend something is being done, much like the useless Rooney rule.

candidates are never equal

Which is who they should hire.
And I would say that’s not how it should be done or who should be hired.

Let’s take our own team. Steve Belichick’s first coaching job is as an assistant with an NFL team. He got his start around the age of 25 right out of college.

He did not have to make his way into the pros, he did not have to compete with others for a job, and he’s basically a co defensive coordinator with Mayo who is calling plays for an NFL team with 8 years of experience.

For the rest of his life he is going to benefit from that opportunity he was only given because of his father that other people trying to break in will never have. He will also have his father who is highly respected, giving him recommendations if he wants to be a HC.

Sean McVay is a young HC. He also started with an NFL team relatively young. His grandfather was Sean McVay who was a HC and later the GM during the 49’ers dynasty.

Both guys got incredible opportunities right out the gate because of who they were related to and then later had those people backing them their entire careers.

That is not equal opportunity

Has Bill only been the best coach in the league 3 times? Also you are taking about other coach of the year awards. He only got one AP award (the one everyone counts) and it was the first year Cincinnati won was in the NFL after the merger. But for the UPI award, his first in Cincinnati was when they went 4-9 in the AFL and missed the playoffs by coming 5th in their division. So you either didn’t know that or thought I didn’t

Yes in any franchise the coach who

-has the most wins

-the most playoff appearances

-the most double digit win seasons

-as many playoff appearances as all the other coaches in the franchise combined

-coached the longest, is the best coach in the franchise

it’s like you are completely oblivious to the fact that paul brown founded the bengals and built them from nothing. Oblivious as to how good of a job he did establishing that franchise during that time and how hard of a job he did and how well he did it. Talk about not knowing the context. He probably over achieved in his first 2 or 3 seasons

Hire the best person for the job.... Black/White/Yellow/Purple... The most qualified person wins. Building in rules like this is absolutely absurd. Didn't stop Flores from getting hired...Pats have hired several minority assistants: Mayo/Troy Brown etc.

Hire the best person for the job.... Black/White/Yellow/Purple... The most qualified person wins. Building in rules like this is absolutely absurd. Didn't stop Flores from getting hired...Pats have hired several minority assistants: Mayo/Troy Brown etc.
Flores got his shot because of the Rooney rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes