PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL teams charging US for patriotic displays

Status
Not open for further replies.
The patriots recieved money for tickets to games. Season tickets, stadium tickets, training camp tickets, access to suites, etc etc. The patriots sold the military tickets to games. Its crazy that they are even listed in the same catagory as the teams that allowed the army to PAY THEM to let soliders sing the national anthem.

Wait, seriously? So that means the Patriots are among the top "offenders" because they're among the top teams, and thus play more desirable, high-profile games that the military brass buys tickets to???

The only reason the NFL would tell teams to stop taking money for this or anything else is because they want their cut.

You're leaaving out the PR angle that Goodell eats, drinks and sleeps by.

To be perfectly honest the whole thing reeks from both sides. The show put on is about recruiting. NFL teams wanted income from it. They all dressed it in the 'hero welcome' motif.

I have a great idea, how about the NFL and its team do a Wounded Warrior tribute with money going to it. Then the NFL can think about playing good football which seems elusive....and the pentagon can put on TV commercials and setup booths for recruiting.

The only reason the NFL would tell teams to stop taking money for this or anything else is because they want their cut.

Yeah, I suspect with direct payments to teams there's likely a revenue-sharing issue at play.

I'm not sure I see the specific outrage with this. I don't like the whole thing politically, and even for its intended purpose it's probably a huge waste of money, but I also don't see anything that makes it particularly different qualitatively from the armed forces paying private media corporations for a block of advertising time to run an Army Strong commercial or whatever.

Absolutely and completely disgusting.

But not really a surprise. After all, only 8% of all revenue from the pink merchandise sold by the NFL, as part of the breast cancer awareness campaign, actually goes to cancer research.

for those of you who have not checked the numbers:

The patriots: 700k over 4 years the items in bold are the only ones that stands out to me as something that should be refunded

Recognition of one MAARNG soldier at each home game as part of the true patriotpromotion (FY2012, FY2013, FY2014)•

Four season tickets, four pregame field passes, one VIP parking pass for each preseason andregular season home game as part of the true patriot promotion (FY2012, FY2013, FY2014)•

One hundred sixty general admission tickets and 120 tailgate passes that also included foodand beverages (FY2012, FY2013, FY2014)

•Forty training camp passes in FY2012 and FY2013 and 80 training camp passes in FY2014

•Ability for MAARNG to use a hospitality suite during team training camp in addition to 40training camp passes (FY2012, FY2013)

•Ability of MAARNG to use a hospitality suite during team training camp in addition to 80training camp passes (FY2014)

•Non-gameday use of a super suite (not including food and beverage) by the MAARNG(FY2012, FY2013, FY2014)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the Falcons: almost 900k over 4 years

GAARNG color guard detail for the Falcons military appreciation game (FY2012, FY2013,FY2015)

•Performance of the national anthem by a member of the GAARNG (FY2014) Really you are going to charge them to let them sing at your game?

•Recognition of the Army National Guard Birthday (FY2013, FY2014)how much does it cost to get a name on the jumptron now a days?

•A welcome home promotion to provide a surprise meet-and-greet with a Falcons player for aGAARNG soldier returning home from deployment (FY2013)

•An opportunity for 80 GAARNG soldiers to hold a large American flag on the field during amilitary appreciation game (FY2012, FY2013) SERIOUSLY? charging them to hold the flag?

•GAARNG flag runners to lead Falcons players out of the tunnel onto the field (FY2012, FY2013)•A video message from a GAARNG soldier welcoming Falcons fans and thanking veterans(FY2012, FY2013) SMH

•Two videoboard features that, according to the contract, could be used for a recruit swear-inceremony or a wounded warrior tribute (FY2012)•A military appreciation day at training camp, which included the giveaway of a co-brandedpromotional item such as a hat, flag or rally towel for 500 attendees (FY2015)

Most teams are like the falcons, a whole lot of BS.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
I looked through the top teams that recieved the most money,

You have teams like teh falcons and the ravens who recieved money to allow armed service men to sing the national anthem, or do their military colors etc.

The patriots recieved money for tickets to games. Season tickets, stadium tickets, training camp tickets, access to suites, etc etc. The patriots sold the military tickets to games. Its crazy that they are even listed in the same catagory as the teams that allowed the army to PAY THEM to let soliders sing the national anthem.

check out the list. The patriots are listed for selling tickets, not "honoring the troops" ******** that other teams are listed for.
Do you have a link to the list?

Not to be callous, but..."investigation"? We might wish that this would be done pro bono, but if the DoD decides it's a good use of some of their $500M advertising budget, where's the impropriety?

Yeah, it's like people expect for-profit entities to do something other than say, "Okay!" when they're offered money for a service. NFL teams aren't virtuous and they have no responsibility to 'honor the troops' for free. You can get angry about DoD deciding this is a good use of their marketing budget, but before you do that you may want to look at the very many substantially larger and more outrageous wastes of money than that originating from the Pentagon.

Not to be callous, but..."investigation"? We might wish that this would be done pro bono, but if the DoD decides it's a good use of some of their $500M advertising budget, where's the impropriety?
My understanding was the money was paid for "on-field color guard ceremonies, performances of the national anthem, and ceremonial first pitches and puck drops." That just seems to be showing the colors, and a more personal form of advertising than television campaigns.

The military has been spending on recruiting ads forever, so I guess I didn't find this story all that offensive.

The fact they stage reunions for dramatic effect turns my stomach a bit.

Yeah, it's like people expect for-profit entities to do something other than say, "Okay!" when they're offered money for a service. NFL teams aren't virtuous and they have no responsibility to 'honor the troops' for free.

And what is the ultimate outcome? Are NFL teams now going to be required to provide unlimited services to the military? What about firefighters, police, teachers etc.?

Nope, my guess is they're going to be prohibited from taking money for something the DoD thought was worth paying for...while other entities will still be allowed to pay for it. Meaning the DoD will lose visibility in the single most important outlet for reaching the young male audience.

And what is the ultimate outcome? Are NFL teams now going to be required to provide unlimited services to the military? What about firefighters, police, teachers etc.?

Nope, my guess is they're going to be prohibited from taking money for something the DoD thought was worth paying for...while other entities will still be allowed to pay for it. Meaning the DoD will lose visibility in the single most important outlet for reaching the young male audience.
I don't have a problem with the teams accepting money from the DoD for enlistment ads. What I have a problem with is those ads being disguised as "truly" patriotic events. BTW, I hate those "surprise" homecoming events - pure emotional manipulation.

Who cares? People own stadiums and charge fees for their use. If the Patriots organization took part in this, I don't see the controversy. Football doesn't have a monopoly on exploiting patriotism.

It's been awhile since I've seen any display of patriotism for anything, anywhere, that wasn't exploitive.

BTW i'm wearing a flag pin right now and that means I'm credible and care deeply.

Maybe Kraft can make a size able donation and get the forces/Feds to put surveillance on goody and his cronies

Consider it training drills

Do television networks charge the military for their recruitment ads? Full Speed Ahead, An Army of One, and the Few, the Proud, the Marines?

If so… controversy?

Do the networks provide community service when they air all those, "Be all you can be" commercials?

I think not!

Beat me to it man!

BTW i'm wearing a flag pin right now and that means I'm credible and care deeply.

Not if you're accepting Advertising Revenue for doing so. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back