PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Rumors: Tom Brady Won’t Take Hometown Discount To Stay With Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff Howe had a great wrote up about this for The Athletic. Basically "As long as cooler heads prevail, Brady should be back". Which makes sense.

Of course Brady is saying he won't take a discount. It would be an awful way to negotiate. Saying and doing are two different things.

Of course Brady is putting out to King that he's unhappy with the WR/TE situation. Wouldn't you be? I don't blame it all on BB...Watson/LaCosse/Sanu are on Belichick. Gordon relapsing, Edelman injured, Harry being hurt half the season, and AB threatening a woman and her children are frustrating but not Belichick's fault.

Either way, yes I am sure Brady wants weapons if he stays here. No way he stays if Belichick tells him "We're going with Sanu and Jules, figure it out". But maybe a trade happens, maybe AB gets his suspension figured out and swears to stay off social media so the Pats take him back...these things would help get Brady back here.

By doing it last year, they needlessly pissed off the QB and put themselves in the middle of an Italian opera. That's led to "Brady potentially not being here next year", when the QB can obviously still play at a high/elite level, which is why your argument doesn't hold up logically. If the reports are true, they could have signed him for 2/$50m, and avoided all of this.

Not doing so was stupid (I acknowledge that a re-think of this position would be necessary if those reports turned out to be erroneous, and he had been demanding 4 years at $30m+).

Brady being pissed off and there being any drama is all speculation and hearsay. It wouldn't shock me if it's true, obviously, but that doesn't mean it is.

Brady being pissed off and there being any drama is all speculation and hearsay. It wouldn't shock me if it's true, obviously, but that doesn't mean it is.

Unless you're telling me that Brady didn't refer reporters to Mr. Kraft when contract questions were being asked, the notion that drama is all speculation and hearsay has already been disproved by Brady himself.

I think RK puts winning above all and knows his best bet is to let BB call the shots.

Unless you're telling me that Brady didn't refer reporters to Mr. Kraft when contract questions were being asked, the notion that drama is all speculation and hearsay has already been disproved by Brady himself.

These are the same ways Brady and Belichick and every other Patriot have always answered those sorts of questions.

I think RK puts winning above all and knows his best bet is to let BB call the shots.

I think it is crystal clear Kraft puts making money above all else and is willing to put winning and anything else aside if they work at cross purposes to making money.

So Matt LaCosse and Ben Watson weren't rope-a-doping everyone for the whole season, it turns out.

Definitely way too early to second-guess the 2019 draft class, I concede that, but it's hard not to think about how much better this offense could've looked with Metcalf instead of Harry and Dawson Knox instead of Harris. I wasn't calling for either of those guys over what we picked at the time so I can't take credit, but lots of people were.

I preferred Harry over Metcalf and still could well see him having a better career, but Metcalf turned out to be more pro-ready than advertised and Harry appears to have been less so.
There is no gurantee that metcalf wouldve performed here the same way as he has in seattle. Many rooke WRs have struggled in NE with the system and playing for brady. Metcalf maybe pro ready for seattle , maybe not for NE.
Regarding harris, he is doing the same job white and verreen did before. Red shirted in the rookie season. We will see his real worth next yr when burkhead or white are not around.

He loved Bledsoe like a son too.

Bledsoe wasn't the GOAT. Nor did he win six SB's. Huge difference imo. I'm not saying Kraft will overide BB. But the owner is going to share his thoughts.

There is no gurantee that metcalf wouldve performed here the same way as he has in seattle. Many rooke WRs have struggled in NE with the system and playing for brady. Metcalf maybe pro ready for seattle , maybe not for NE.
Regarding harris, he is doing the same job white and verreen did before. Red shirted in the rookie season. We will see his real worth next yr when burkhead or white are not around.

This. It's like we haven't seen this happen time and time again. People lose their minds over Harris not playing, he's getting groomed to take over next year . Let's all chill...doing it this way has worked twice before.

Peter King on Sky Sports live right now talking about his conversation today with Brady. Saying Brady said he wasn’t at all surprised by what happened in the game. Shouldn’t expect something in game that we can’t do in practice and haven’t done all season. Basically saying receiving options haven’t clicked all season and noone should be surprised. Brady told King he wasn’t that disappointed since this was expected. Weird. King saying Brady is 50/50 chance returning to Pats in his opinion but 100% chance to return to NFL next season. Sounded like Brady was a bit ticked that Pats didn’t commit to him and then handicapped him with these WR/TE options.

Atleast some first hand narrative. King said he’s writing his article right now for tomorrow about this.

Crazy stuff. Almost sounded like Brady is resigned to the fact that Pats have moved on from him but he’s not done playing.

Will be interesting King article tomorrow. Brady must have authorized him to write this to get the word out he’s available.
I would be shocked if brady said this exactly publicly to king .He is not the one to throw his team mates/Wrs under the bus by saying so, as much as truth there may have been to it. I feel a lot of it is inferring than actual feelings. If jules makes that catch yesterday , we arent having this conversation.

Bledsoe wasn't the GOAT. Nor did he win six SB's. Huge difference imo. I'm not saying Kraft will overide BB. But the owner is going to share his thoughts.
Redshirt RB is a luxury you don't really have when your TE depth chart is arguably the worst assembled by an NFL team in the last 20 years.

Meanwhile, Metcalf just dropped 160 yards in a playoff game. If your system can't get production out of a guy like him and instead gets you what we watched last night, then your system needs adapting

I would be shocked if brady said this exactly publicly to king .He is not the one to throw his team mates/Wrs under the bus by saying so, as much as truth there may have been to it. I feel a lot of it is inferring than actual feelings. If jules makes that catch yesterday , we arent having this conversation.

Read King’s article tomorrow I guess. I was repeating what he said on live TV

There is no gurantee that metcalf wouldve performed here the same way as he has in seattle
The system NE uses works very well for Brady but it also IMHO significantly limits the pool of receivers NE can draw from.

With McDaniels (probably) leaving and Brady almost done (2yrs tops, IMHO) I wonder if this is the time Belichick decides to move on from both Brady and the heavy option read system. (They can still use EP terminology and concepts, but have fewer options on routes) and start to retool around what Belichick envisions the abilities of his next QB to be (whether Stidham or someone else).

Brady is gone.

You will see. Brady to LA Chargers.

No question the offense was undermanned this season. inexplicable why no decent TE or speed WR were obtained. These were obvious needs coming into the draft. It was almost like BB was ticked off that TB didn't participate in OTAs and wanted to get back at him. I hope there really isn't any animosity between them because that would be a silly way to end both of their careers.

Chargers fans don’t seem to want Brady. Their OL is really bad, Brady wouldn’t love it.

Pretty extreme tax rate out in Cali also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back