PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL OT rules

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Sure we benefited a lot from these rules over the last few years but maybe it's time now to rethink the OT rules to counter the effect of a great passing offense that the modern rules support. It's not working now. I agree that it's up to the defense to stop them but the modern game favors passing and great passing offenses will almost always have an edge over a defense in overtime no matter how good the defense is. I'd like to see the breakdown of OT games ending on one possession and who is their QB. I bet the pattern will be obvious.

A coin flip should not decide the outcome. I think the league has to figure out a way to guarantee both teams a possession in OT. I don't mind something like the CFL or NCAA rules. Something like starting at the opposing 35 yard line. If you score a TD then you're forced to go for 2. Then the other team gets a chance. Maybe after 3 of these sequences if it's still tied then go to some gimmick finish like the NHL does. Or maybe a shortened "fifth quarter" and if still tied then go to the gimmick finish. That seems more fair than what we have now.

Sure we benefited a lot from these rules over the last few years but maybe it's time now to rethink the OT rules to counter the effect of a great passing offense that the modern rules support. It's not working now. I agree that it's up to the defense to stop them but the modern game favors passing and great passing offenses will almost always have an edge over a defense in overtime no matter how good the defense is. I'd like to see the breakdown of OT games ending on one possession and who is their QB. I bet the pattern will be obvious.

A coin flip should not decide the outcome. I think the league has to figure out a way to guarantee both teams a possession in OT. I don't mind something like the CFL or NCAA rules. Something like starting at the opposing 35 yard line. If you score a TD then you're forced to go for 2. Then the other team gets a chance. Maybe after 3 of these sequences if it's still tied then go to some gimmick finish like the NHL does. Or maybe a shortened "fifth quarter" and if still tied then go to the gimmick finish. That seems more fair than what we have now.
I agree. I'd like to see each team get a shot at it.

For example after KC got the OT TD then Allen gets a turn.

Problem is the way those two were going we would have been up till midnight.

Coin flip is what it is.

I agree. I'd like to see each team get a shot at it.

For example after KC got the OT TD then Allen gets a turn.

Problem is the way those two were going we would have been up till midnight.

Coin flip is what it is.
Right. Then you cap it after 3 sequences and go to a gimmick finish of some kind after that. NHL has the 3 on 3 OT and then shootout. MLB now has the runner on 2nd in extras. Not a fan of that but it works.

Stop changing the rules.

Hurley's missing the point.

It's not fair because the rules and the league overwhelmingly favors big passing games more than any time in their history. That wasn't always true but it's true today. Coin flip gives the ball to a big passing offense and chances are more than 50% that the other team does not get a possession. What if a team wins the coin toss then gets a borderline DPI call in the end zone that you would have never seen years ago.

Nothing wrong with evolving these rules to fit the modern passing game.

Last edited:
On the other hand, if you get the other team to punt on its first possession, all you need is a FG to win.

Lead changes and scoring is what defines a great game.

More football = more money. The NFL can sell more commercials with an extra 15 minutes of OT.

On the other hand, if you get the other team to punt on its first possession, all you need is a FG to win.
That’s the problem. The original sudden death overtime concept came about in the early days when scoring was normal and teams could actually play defense. The rule was adjusted a dozen years ago after the Polian rules combined with the changes / improvements to place kickers made a quick field goal to start overtime a common occurrence. Now they’ve completely NBA’d the NFL, no one can play defense anymore, so marching down the field for a TD is relatively simple. The 2018 AFCCG was supposedly a phenomenal one-in-a-lifetime finish. Yesterday’s game made those 4th quarter and OT defenses look like the 1985 Bears.

There are two ways to adjust to this. One way is to have postseason OT be a full 10 minute period, and if still tied go on to 2nd OT. Another way, and hear me out on this, is to actually bring real football back and allow teams to play defense, so no OT rule changes would be needed. Crazy talk, I know…..

13 seconds is going to become the new "wide right" when taunting Buffalo...

As for OT, unless you play a full OT quarter, leave the current rule alone. It's fine like it is

It should never have changed from sudden death.

Hurley's missing the point.

It's not fair because the rules and the league overwhelmingly favors big passing games more than any time in their history. That wasn't always true but it's true today. Coin flip gives the ball to a big passing offense and chances are more than 50% that the other team does not get a possession. What if a team wins the coin toss then gets a borderline DPI call in the end zone that you would have never seen years ago.

Nothing wrong with evolving these rules to fit the modern passing game.
No team, ever, in history, scored TDs on more than 50% of their possessions much less possessions starting after a kickoff.
It’s not even close to 50% they never see the ball. They also have the option of playing defense.

People get all upset seeing that image of the opposing star QB sitting on the bench, unable to do anything to help them win. Sucks, but can't keep changing the rules every time there is a Twitter uproar.

That’s the problem. The original sudden death overtime concept came about in the early days when scoring was normal and teams could actually play defense. The rule was adjusted a dozen years ago after the Polian rules combined with the changes / improvements to place kickers made a quick field goal to start overtime a common occurrence. Now they’ve completely NBA’d the NFL, no one can play defense anymore, so marching down the field for a TD is relatively simple. The 2018 AFCCG was supposedly a phenomenal one-in-a-lifetime finish. Yesterday’s game made those 4th quarter and OT defenses look like the 1985 Bears.

There are two ways to adjust to this. One way is to have postseason OT be a full 10 minute period, and if still tied go on to 2nd OT. Another way, and hear me out on this, is to actually bring real football back and allow teams to play defense, so no OT rule changes would be needed. Crazy talk, I know…..
The other thing is athletes have developed to the point where a 50 yard FG is normal, and even the kickoff gives you 25 yards instead of 20 when the ball goes into the end zone. The deck is really stacked in favor of the offense these days. Yet I have a hard time seeing things change. We are getting exciting finishes. If we make them play a full 5th quarter they end up like punch drunk boxers.

The losing team will always complain about how they got robbed in OT rather than how they didn't do enough to win in 60 minutes of regulation time. BUF was lucky to be in OT, Butker missed a FG and an extra point.

I am not for any gimmicky non-football solution, like the stupid college rules. Keep it like it is during the regular season, and then in the postseason you have a 15 minute period, no matter what. Still tied? Then sudden death.

When in OT you have to start with your back up QB and your top receiver/rb has to sit as well:whistle::rofl:

many where hyped by the divisional games while I was a bit depressed realizing how far away the Pats are when it comes to dynamic/aggressiv playing on both O and D, the Pats looked like they came straight from 1960 with how slow and conservative they played lately in the season

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back