PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Ignoring Offensive Holding

Pats2000

In the Starting Line-Up
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
So the NFL is basically no longer a thing really. Through 4 weeks they called something like 95 offensive holding penalties vs. 234 from last year. This has led to an increase in average scoring.

They also appear to be calling more defensive PI, but I haven't looked up the stats. Interestingly enough the Offensive PI penalty went extinct after Gronk left the Pats. Discuss.

So the NFL is basically no longer a thing really. Through 4 weeks they called something like 95 offensive holding penalties vs. 234 from last year. This has led to an increase in average scoring.

They also appear to be calling more defensive PI, but I haven't looked up the stats. Interestingly enough the Offensive PI penalty went extinct after Gronk left the Pats. Discuss.

Looks like DPI is up about 30% over last season so far.

With no fans in the stands, offensive production is key to generate TV ratings/revenue.

Pretty weak actually. If it continues they can just manipulate whoever they want to win by calling it when they see fit. The games flow better for sure with less stoppage but again, can certainly see this as a bad thing.

With no fans in the stands, offensive production is key to generate TV ratings/revenue.

I don't think so. Fans were chomping at the bit to get their football. I think the high scoring is being encouraged to generate profits from the owners' legalized gambling, aka fantasy football.

Diggs seems to be digging it?

Belichick let the ref hear it after this one.

I think we all called out holding in real time on that play hurley said it was. So obvious! If only the donkeys receiver head didn't break up the would be INT by JC Jackson.

5 teams are on pace to have 50+ sacks this season......the steelers are on pace for 75.....just sayin'

Makes sense, its probably all on Gilmore too

Close. But it's also worth mentioning that the Pats are the least penalized team in the league.

Patriots defensive penalties:

Total NFL penalties:

It is almost like Gilmore is getting the inverse Gronk treatment nowadays where if he just touches anyone it turns into DPI. There has been now 3 ******** calls on him in the last 3 games.

I've seen so much offensive holding on the patriots, its gotten obscene

The league knows that if the refs officiated the game normally that the games would be terrible. No preseason games, no real training camp. So these teams are basically playing at preseason level through 4 games+. Honestly, watching the games without packed stadiums sucks. I didn't think it would matter much, but I miss the closeups in the stands after the Pats make a big play.

Belichick let the ref hear it after this one.

As he should have. That non-call was a HUGE one in the game.. As was the blown call on the sideline on Patrick's long catch. He didn't get his left foot down. It hit the defender and landed OOB..

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back