PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL has suspended Josh Gordon indefinitely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here already went to rehab. Failed it, twice. Got signed with the Patriots, had Brady under his belt and still couldn't stay clean.

NOTHING will help this man, at this point. It's sad a reality and quite disappointing, but there's just nothing else that can be done about his disease.

Said this a few months ago, will say it again:

Always room to improve and take steps in the right direction in the battle with addiction. Someone with addiction could be reading this thread, they see your post and get down on themselves.

They gotta hear and know that there is a happier future in front of them if they take the steps towards creating that future.

And then there are people out there with their anectodal experience who due to a lack of empathy think anything they went through must apply to other humans.

What you went through and apparently were able to beat (kudos for that) doesnt apply to others and that doesnt make you strong and him weak.

I never said he was weak.
I don’t know what your talking about in terms of your “addiction,” but there are lots of addictions (tobacco, food, sex, etc.) that aren’t the same thing as the addiction Gordon has. His addiction is basically referred to alcoholism (though other drugs can be substituted for alcohol with the same effects and problems, which is why AA principles are used universally) and this isn’t something you can buy your way out of. Plenty of extremely rich people with everything to lose are still not able to prevent relapse. It isn’t “insane” at all to think he couldn’t keep it together because addicts like this never become “non-addicts.” They work to live a very challenging lifestyle to avoid something they are powerless over.

You don’t seriously think he wants to quit? Please don’t pretend to be an addiction beater yourself when you clearly have no clue what you’re talking about. If you really had dealt with something like this you wouldn’t be so misguided about the issue.

K

I'm not surprised but it's still very sad. He's been one of my favorite players throughout his entire career and I'm glad he managed to win a ring with the Patriots. Hope he gets better even though his NFL career may be done.
He is intelligent and eloquent enough that I think he can find a role around the game in some sort of speaking capacity.

The guy who subjected himself to multiple month long inpatient rehabilitation centers doesn't "seriously want to quit" - you really believe that? It's truly unbelievable to you that Gordon couldn't get it together - again, you seriously think that's "insane"?

Hate to be 'that guy' but I believe that most people who have experienced significant struggles with addiction and mental health disorders (depression, anxiety, etc.) would not say what you said.

The whole notion that the only hurdle was not taking the drug(s) and could be solved with money by surrounding himself with people to physically keep him from using drugs is way off the mark in terms of describing what it's like to deal with addiction (and the psychological discomfort that drives it).
With my addiction there was always a phase where after I relasped you were in the right mind and that was when you had to make crucial decisions such as cutting out certain people, certain things that triggered me to relapse etc. Also I had to find a driving force of motivation and I had another underlying problem to conquer before hand that made my addiction even worse. It was ****ing tough, I thought it would be impossible but I realized that at the end of day the decision was in my hand and I had to finally succumb and cut out all triggers in my life and follow a strict productive schedule.

I'm not saying I dont feel bad for him, in terms of "**** him" I meant I dont feel bad in terms of the fact that he lost his career. If he wanted it enough he wouldve done everything possible.

From what I went through and what ive heard from other addicts, you just need to find that driving force that will push you to take the necessary steps and precautions to quit and with Gordon maybe football just wasnt that force for him.

Sorry if I offended any other addicts.

Always room to improve and take steps in the right direction in the battle with addiction. Someone with addiction could be reading this thread, they see your post and get down on themselves.

They gotta hear and know that there is a happier future in front of them if they take the steps towards creating that future.

Unfortunately, not everyone can bring themselves to improve. As someone who has seen more than one relative succumb to addiction, I can tell you that some can’t be helped.......right down to that final gulp of prestone that turns off the light

This is really sad, I really hope he can turn his life around,

sadly this happens after an amazing catch he had yesterday.

I hope he conquers his demons... but to all those castigating Belichick for not keeping him...

source.gif

Wait, it says substance abuse or performance enhancing. Do you know it not to be performance enhancing? Because if it is, that's not demons that's just wanting it more than is allowed by rule -- and (shhhhh) about as common as an incomplete pass.

Sorry to hear about that. Wish you the best Josh.

I guess we won't be hearing anymore from posters how stupid we were for letting him go.:(:(

Dude got plenty of chances. With the money he makes theres no reason he shouldnt have been paying as many people as possible to watch him and stop him from obtaining these drugs. I know what addiction is like because ive had to deal with my own, but if I had the money this man had I wouldve hired as many people needed to make sure that I dont relapse not to mention Gordon got 5 chances. Its insane he couldnt get it together.

I wish him the best but I cant say I really feel sorry for him. Hes had every single option available for him. I dont think he seriously wants to quit.

He had something better than money. He had Brady on his side. Brady would've hooked him up with that

I don't think many here understand just how underrated Brady's influence is/was. He does the whole hippie yoga with his trainer. Meditation or what have you. He was able to rejuvenate Gronk, even if it was just for one season .

If a post on this forum knocks someone off the wagon then it was going to happen regardless.

This is just sad to me....

Interesting. This time it's apparently PEDs as well as the usual substance abuse stuff.

So what do you know -- apparently unlike many geniuses here, the idiotic, clueless Bill Belichick may have had some idea that something was going on after all when he cut Gordon.

On point. One may not always agree with BB but it's laughable that cutting Gordon would have been capricious.
And while I hate to see anyone crash and burn like this -- and I know Gordon has had notable substance abuse issues -- PEDs are not a demons thing. I know many want to believe (or simply don't know) that PED usage is just a few players who probably end up getting caught, but in reality PED(AAS, GH) usage is widespread. There's fame and millions on the line. Shockingly, Something that makes you bigger, stronger, faster (and heal quicker) will be used frequently to be more successful. So for Gordon and PEDs, this is more an issue of just getting caught (and in what is total guess on my part, his past issues with substance abuse probably made him susceptible to greater spot check blood testing -> making him susceptible to even carefully used, hard to detect after 24 hours, low/no estered AASs).
But it is too bad for Gordon. The good news is I think he's made enough to have financial security (which is not an unimportant thing)

I liked Gordon. Great talent sadly wasted.

I guess we won't be hearing anymore from posters how stupid we were for letting him go.:(:(

Ashley..I almost never use the disagree on anyone's thoughts but I disagree with your contention, no matter how certain it seems to sound. Give it another game of bad WR play and they WILL descend like crows on a rotting skunk carcass in the middle of a lonely Rt. 1

Last edited:
so sorry

It's really too bad that Gordon couldn't keep it together. Unfortunately he's another in a long list of players who have battled the addiction demon only to lose.

On point. One may not always agree with BB but it's laughable that cutting Gordon would have been capricious.

BB has said (paraphrasing), It's hard to win a Super Bowl, even when everything goes right.

There's no way he'd intentionally make his job harder just for giggles.

And while I hate to see anyone crash and burn like this -- and I know Gordon has had notable substance abuse issues -- PEDs are not a demons thing.

The "demons" thing refers to the fact that he was also suspended for non-PED drugs, too.

At what point will sympathy for this guy run out. I mean...FFS how many second chances before you write him off as yet another super-talented f up, a dime a dozen in the NFL? It's sort of bizarre. Maybe he is a very nice fellow, but some tough love is probably needed rather than all this coddling. Is it really helping him at this point? Cut him.

He needs serious consequences enough with the hushed-voiced bs about how I hope he finds his path blah blah blah. I have literally never seen such doting hand-wringing for such a chronic f-up in the NFL. Enough already. He blew it one too many time, he's gone. My sympathy fuse just ran out for him. Go get some help but don't come crying to me. We all deal with crap. Go deal with it and stop making your teams suffer it's selfish AF.

Last edited:
At what point will sympathy for this guy run out. I mean...FFS how many second chances before you write him off as yet another super-talented f up, a dime a dozen in the NFL? It's sort of bizarre. Maybe he is a very nice fellow, but some tough love is probably needed rather than all this coddling. Is it really helping him at this point? Cut him.

He needs serious consequences enough with the hushed-voiced bs about how I hope he finds his path blah blah blah. I have literally never seen such doting hand-wringing for such a chronic f-up in the NFL. Enough already. He blew it one too many time, he's gone. My sympathy fuse just ran out for him. Go get some help but don't come crying to me. We all deal with crap. Go deal with it and stop making your teams suffer it's selfish AF.

Well said. I like Gordon and hate to see a great talent wasted but at the same time I have to agree with your point of view.

I am sad over this ,,and all I can do is say a Prayer for him.
Really hurt me to read this,,,and he also seems such a beautiful human being and someone gentle.
Inshallah he gets all the help he can but sadly I think his NFL career seems over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes