PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL has suspended Josh Gordon indefinitely

Status
Not open for further replies.
People should really read this post in case you missed it. Only other addicts can truly understand what Gordon is going though, though many of us who aren’t addicts have loved ones who are. The point is that this is a genetic disease, just like any other disease. People who have it are often ashamed because, think about, it is one of the worst diseases imaginable having to live this way and feeling the shame and embarrassment, particularly when probably >50% of the population thinks it’s a choice, lack of maturity, selfishness, etc.

Congrats on your sobriety @PatriotsReign . That’s a great story to hear about your battle and never letting up.
thank you, but it’s no longer a battle. I lost and surrendered. I know that may not make sense but anyone in recovery understands

Announcement I heard said he was being suspended for performance enhancing substances and substances of abuse. So I figure he got hit for PEDs and Mary Jane. Or maybe just alcohol, isn’t that on his banned list too by now? Anyway, each of those could be one test failed, different tests from the same sample.

There's a flip side to addiction that people aren't talking about...
the victims.

Many addicts leave a trail of carnage in their wake.
Ripping off their family and friends.
Trashing vehicles, apartments, homes, relationships, and families.
They're not just flushing their own lives, they drag a lot of people down with them.
This doesn't happen in a vacuum. There's a ripple effect.

I've had my house gutted and trashed by a guy I took in and tried to help.
I was naive and learned a whole lot in a short period of time.

I took full custody of my daughter when she was around 3.
Her mother had a crack problem. My daughter was left sleeping in her own feces. She only had dry cereal to eat on her own. She was left wandering the neighborhood at 2:00 AM knocking on strangers doors.
When I first got custody she told me stories of visiting "The bad man's house"several times.
When I made a phone call she wanted to make sure I wasn't calling the "Bad man".
When I quizzed her on it, her face turned red and she said they went to the bad man's house and "Mommy had to kiss his privates".
Sometimes saying "Sorry" isn't good enough.
No wonder my daughter later tried to hang the nanny's cat.

The few recovered addicts I know are still extremely selfish, self-centered people and a drag to be around. They haven't really fixed anything, they just quit using.

So you'll excuse me if I'm not so tolerant and empathetic when people talk about their battles with addiction.

You want to feel sorry for someone, feel sorry for all the people's lives that have been trashed by addicts.

I apologize for the insensitive comment I made on page 2.
Good luck to Josh.

There's a flip side to addiction that people aren't talking about...
the victims.

Many addicts leave a trail of carnage in their wake.
Ripping off their family and friends.
Trashing vehicles, apartments, homes, relationships, and families.
They're not just flushing their own lives, they drag a lot of people down with them.
This doesn't happen in a vacuum. There's a ripple effect.

I've had my house gutted and trashed by a guy I took in and tried to help.
I was naive and learned a whole lot in a short period of time.

I took full custody of my daughter when she was around 3.
Her mother had a crack problem. My daughter was left sleeping in her own feces. She only had dry cereal to eat on her own. She was left wandering the neighborhood at 2:00 AM knocking on strangers doors.
When I first got custody she told me stories of visiting "The bad man's house"several times.
When I made a phone call she wanted to make sure I wasn't calling the "Bad man".
When I quizzed her on it, her face turned red and she said they went to the bad man's house and "Mommy had to kiss his privates".
Sometimes saying "Sorry" isn't good enough.
No wonder my daughter later tried to hang the nanny's cat.

The few recovered addicts I know are still extremely selfish, self-centered people and a drag to be around. They haven't really fixed anything, they just quit using.

So you'll excuse me if I'm not so tolerant and empathetic when people talk about their battles with addiction.

You want to feel sorry for someone, feel sorry for all the people's lives that have been trashed by addicts.

I apologize for the insensitive comment I made on page 2.
Good luck to Josh.
Much of what you posted doesn’t belong on this board. You should probably share this with a professional or attend Al-Anon.

I’m not judging you, but it’s clear you have a lot of anger and it just doesn’t belong on this board.

I hope everything works out for you and your daughter.

Much of what you posted doesn’t belong on this board. You should probably share this with a professional or attend Al-Anon.

I’m not judging you, but it’s clear you have a lot of anger and it just doesn’t belong on this board.

I hope everything works out for you and your daughter.

I"m not going to get into any lengthy back and forth.
Much of what you shared does not belong on a football forum either.
It's OK for you to share your struggles with addiction, but not mine?

I'm happy you found peace and stability in your life.
I was just trying to share an alternate anecdotal view of the other ramifications of addiction.

My daughter is 27 now. An A-student that decided to forego college and serve her country in the Navy. She already has 8 years in and is is putting together a package for officer training.
This story has a happy ending.

No matter what else I do in life, I will always be proud of the fact that I stepped up to the plate and basically saved a life.

As far as people dealing with addiction, I'm pretty neutral.
Good luck, but I would never open my home to another addict.

Good luck to Josh.
Hopefully getting away from football will help him.

I believe it was Troy Aikman that said whenever he went to a party around Dallas people offered him free alcohol, free drugs, and their wives.
That's a lot of temptation.

Last edited:

I'm happy you found peace and stability in your life.
I was just trying to share an alternate anecdotal view of the other ramifications of addiction.

My daughter is 27 now. An A-student that decided to forego college and serve her country in the Navy. She already has 8 years in and is is putting together a package for officer training.
This story has a happy ending.

No matter what else I do in life, I will always be proud of the fact that I stepped up to the plate and basically saved a life.

As far as people dealing with addiction, I'm pretty neutral.
Good luck, but I would never open my home to another addict.

Good luck to Josh.
Hopefully getting away from football will help him.

I believe it was Troy Aikman that said whenever he went to a party around Dallas people offered him free alcohol, free drugs, and their wives.
That's a lot of temptation.

You're allowed to post your huge essay on "why I have little sympathy for addicts", and we're allowed to criticize you for it.

Also, your anecdotes aren't the same as those coming from a recovering addict. That's like saying you have the authority to speak for people with Alzheimer's because your grandpa had it and it made your family's life hard.

You've never been in the other person's shoes, only affected by that person, and it's valid to feel the way you do. But it absolutely doesn't give your voice the same weight as an addict on this topic. It's a completely different, but also valuable, perspective.

I didn’t share specific details of the horror I lived through and caused. You went into private details About your child that shouldn’t be shared on a board like this

What I don’t understand is why you did that.

Holy **** this thread is insane

I am "born to the breed" regarding alcohol issues, and even today when I drink occasionally one beer can be too many and 40 not enough.. so I keep myself in check, most times if offered a beer I refuse.

My son(46) who I passed this dysfunction to, is pretty much on an island and our relationship has pretty much crapped the bed. Two marriages later.. he is pretty much alone, by his own doing.

Fortunately he is in recovery, or at least I think he is.. but in the world of those who drink too much and have addiction issues you never know what is really going on. A lot of time has been spent in denial, sneaking, lying and hiding... I support him as best I can, but he has to do his journey pretty much by himself with the help of AA...

The loss I feel has to do with the loss of our relationship which was unbreakable before he started to drink about 29 years ago...

The power of alcohol is overwhelming and all consuming, for AB he has the double dx of depression as well and that combination only makes things more intense and more difficult to control.. one begets the other.

I am "born to the breed" regarding alcohol issues, and even today when I drink occasionally one beer can be too many and 40 not enough.. so I keep myself in check, most times if offered a beer I refuse.

My son(46) who I passed this dysfunction to, is pretty much on an island and our relationship has pretty much crapped the bed. Two marriages later.. he is pretty much alone, by his own doing.

Fortunately he is in recovery, or at least I think he is.. but in the world of those who drink too much and have addiction issues you never know what is really going on. A lot of time has been spent in denial, sneaking, lying and hiding... I support him as best I can, but he has to do his journey pretty much by himself with the help of AA...

The loss I feel has to do with the loss of our relationship which was unbreakable before he started to drink about 29 years ago...

The power of alcohol is overwhelming and all consuming, for AB he has the double dx of depression as well and that combination only makes things more intense and more difficult to control.. one begets the other.
I think you meant Josh and not AB...

it’s clear you understand the disease of addiction. I hope your son finds his way and things work out one day at a time

Don't share too much. You will get scolded by the board's regulators of who gets to feel what about addiction.

Don't share too much. You will get scolded by the board's regulators of who gets to feel what about addiction.

Been here since 2004, not all that much to worry about..

I didn’t share specific details of the horror I lived through and caused. You went into private details About your child that shouldn’t be shared on a board like this

What I don’t understand is why you did that.
Because its true.

I know similar stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill