PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

Why in the world is Judge scouting a QB from West. Michigan? That's the last position I would've thought we'd be scouting. WTF is going on?
WTF are you blathering about now?

Are you now just b*tching for the sake of b*tching or does someone really have to explain the benefits of having a developmental quarterback to you, whether it be on the 53 or the PS? Even if they don’t end up drafting a particular guy, they get useful information on him, should his name ever come up in trade talks or if he becomes a free agent.

It doesn’t mean that they aren’t scouting several other positions much more heavily…..like WR - you either didn’t know that Skyy Moore also played for Western Michigan or you couldn’t comprehend the possibility that Judge was there to take a look at more than one guy, in his role as Offensive Assistant.

Last edited:
The Ryan Bates visit is interesting. He seems to have done fine in a small sample size of 5 starts, and he’d be a starter for the Bills if they had a game today. At the very least, it’s an opportunity to make them pay him more.

This would actually be a sneaky good pick up and of course nobody here panicking about OL is even discussing it :)

It might be academic since i doubt Bills will let him go but they are getting a bit tight in cap and BB knows this game. The fact that they have him visit means they are at least ready to compete.

He stepped up quite impressively for the Bills also in the playoffs. Played all 3 IOL positions and reportedly can back up T as well.
Karras had a great year but this kid could even be an upgrade with 4 years younger..

This would actually be a sneaky good pick up and of course nobody here panicking about OL is even discussing it :)
It might be academic since i doubt Bills will let him go but they are getting a bit tight in cap and BB knows this game. The fact that they have him visit means they are at least ready to compete.

He stepped up quite impressively for the Bills also in the playoffs. Played all 3 IOL positions and reportedly can back up T as well.
Karras had a great year but this kid could even be an upgrade with 4 years younger..

Hopefully he learned from the (massive) mistake of not making a more aggressive RFA offer to Emmanuel Sanders back in the day.

Still alot of good players out there. I think we all got spoiled by last year, but this free agency has been the MO for the Pats for a long time.

They have re-signed their own players and are waiting for the splurges to stop and then they can move in and grab some talent. Right now OTC has them with 10 mil in cap space for 2022. However, the Pats have 102 mil in cap space in 2023! Everyone is marvelling at how the Saints created cap space, well here is how they did it, they are already 18 million OVER the 2023 cap. So sooner or later, they are going to have to pay the piper for that.

The Pats can easily create more cap space if they need it by restruturing Judon's, Henry's, or Jonnu's contract. Of course that will take away from the cap space in 2023 and beyond.

I would like to see them bring back Trent Brown, I thought he was solid last year when he got back on the field.

I think bringing back Trey Flowers is a no brianer. I don't see much (young) CB out there, there are plenty of names, that if this was 4 years ago, you would be salivating over.

a true #1 WR has been a need since 2010, so I wouldn't hold out hope that one is coming anytime soon.

WTF are you blathering about now?

Are you now just *****ing for the sake of *****ing or does someone really have to explain the benefits of having a developmental quarterback to you, whether it be on the 53 or the PS? Even if they don’t end up drafting a particular guy, they get useful information on him, should his name ever come up in trade talks or if he becomes a free agent.

It doesn’t mean that they aren’t scouting several other positions much more heavily…..like WR - you either didn’t know that Skyy Moore also played for Western Michigan or you couldn’t comprehend the possibility that Judge was there to take a look at more than one guy, in his role as Offensive Assistant.

Exactly. We had no need for Tom Brady with his way of thinking.

RETURNING

ILB Harvey Langi (30) - $1.2M / 1 yr
OL James Ferentz (32) - TBD
QB Brian Hoyer (36) - $4M / 2yr
FS Devin McCourty (34) - $9M / 1yr
ST Matt Slater (36) - $2.6M / 1yr
K Nick Folk (37) - $5M / 2 yr
RB James White (30) - $5M / 2 yr

DEPARTURES

CB J.C. Jackson (27) - $82.5M / 5yr
C Ted Karras (29) - $18M / 3yr
FB Jakob Johnson (27) - $1.5M/1yr
RB Brandon Bolden (32) - $5M /2yr
OG Shaq Mason (28) - traded to TB
OLB Wino (27) - traded to CLE

ARRIVALS

WR Ty Montgomery (29) - $4M / 2 yr
LB Mack Wilson (24) - $2.5M / 1 yr
CB Terry Mitchell (30) - $1.75M /1yr

UNSIGNED FREE AGENTS

ILB Ja'Whaun Bentley
RT Trent Brown
OLB Jamie Collins (32)
TE Troy Fumagalli
LB Terez Hall
ILB Dont'a Hightower (32)
FS Brandon King
WR Jakobi Meyers (tendered)
WR Gunner Olszewski

With 65 players signed, NE has the 2nd oldest roster at 27.22 years.

Hopefully he learned from the (massive) mistake of not making a more aggressive RFA offer to Emmanuel Sanders back in the day.

Bills are near the bottom in future cap, Vikings as well (NE top 5) - so Pats could backload this deal.
Karras got 3y/18M/5g. If BB offers in the ballpark with more backloaded, more guarantees could seal the deal.

Id guess Bates would prefer to stay in BUF but i think Bills have to match regardless @Sciz ?

Bills are near the bottom in future cap, Vikings as well (NE top 5) - so Pats could backload this deal.
Karras got 3y/18M/5g. If BB offers in the ballpark with more backloaded, more guarantees could seal the deal.

Id guess Bates would prefer to stay in BUF but i think Bills have to match regardless @Sciz ?
Bills only have to match if he agrees to a contract with another team, being offered one isn't enough.

I’m all for it, if they feel like he has legitimate (sustained) starting potential at guard. The Pats should have a good feel for him, on tape and in person, given his late season starting role. Usually when they target young free agents, they liked the guys coming out of college. He may very well be a guy whom they wanted to sign as an undrafted free agent.

Logan Ryan's release saves NYG over $14 million for next year. It was a no brainer for them.

Lol wtf
Bill come on bro.

According to NYG fans, Ryan struggled last year. I wouldn't worry too much about the Pats not getting him.

But Ryan didn’t make nearly as many game-changing plays last season and slipped to the No. 60-rated safety in the NFL by Pro Football Focus. Ryan’s versatility to play deep or in the box seems to fit new defensive coordinator Wink Martindale’s system — and defensive backs coach Jerome Henderson was retained — but it seems clear that the player evaluations done by the coaching staff and general manager Joe Schoen weren’t returned in Ryan’s favor.

According to NYG fans, Ryan struggled last year. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Yeah, I mean he had his moments here but he was basically a good back up. I doubt he's improved substantially since then.

Lol at Pats fans liking posts about Tampa Bay free agent signings.
Yeah, Brady the GM getting Brady guys. He can have Logan Ryan. Let's not pretend that Ryan is the second coming of Deion Sanders in his Prime. (pun intended)

Lol at Pats fans liking posts about Tampa Bay free agent signings.
Liking the fact that a former Pats player is joining a good situation.

Logan Ryan wouldn't have made sense for the Pats.

Glad to see he will still be playing instead of having to announce his "retirement" halfway through the season because no wanted him like Malcolm Butler last year

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back