PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

Sokol ran a 4.87s 40-yd dash in his pro day. That is s-l-o-w for someone lacking the size to be an in-line TE

"The Patriots have added to their tight ends room. New England has claimed Matt Sokol off waivers after he was cut by the Lions, according to the transaction wire. Sokol has bounced around in the early part of his career. He’s appeared in two games, both for the Chargers in 2020. He was on the field for 15 offensive snaps and 20 special teams snaps. But he’s had a pair of stints with Los Angeles, Jacksonville, and Detroit since entering the league as an undrafted free agent in 2019."

View attachment 43034

Camp body.

Expected TE addition (they are still at least one short for TC).

Nice pick up. Relatively experienced and NFL trained (unlike UDFAs) w zero cost.
Sokol was ST standout and very good blocker both at LOS and in space.
Profile that was lacking - at least on 90 roster.
PS candidate with some depth/ST potential.

Patricia may think that his ST skills gives him a shot to win the 3rd TE spot. Patricia knows him from Detroit.

More likely, he is camp body who could make the Practice Squad as a ST backup.

"The Patriots have added to their tight ends room. New England has claimed Matt Sokol off waivers after he was cut by the Lions, according to the transaction wire. Sokol has bounced around in the early part of his career. He’s appeared in two games, both for the Chargers in 2020. He was on the field for 15 offensive snaps and 20 special teams snaps. But he’s had a pair of stints with Los Angeles, Jacksonville, and Detroit since entering the league as an undrafted free agent in 2019."

View attachment 43034

We needed a 5th TE for TC... But too bad the FO didn't bother attempting to find somebody who doesn't really suck.

Sokol ran a 4.87s 40-yd dash in his pro day. That is s-l-o-w for someone lacking the size to be an in-line TE

6’5” 255 (pro day measurements) is lacking is size to be an inline TE?

23 reps is excellent for a TE (would’ve been the second best bench score at the combine), so he is a strong dude.

4.87 is slow but Lee Smith has carved out a 10 year career as a blocking TE and ran a 4.94 at the combine. Smith was the best blocking TE in the draft that year, so I understand that it is apples and oranges, to some extent.

Sokol soaring?

Dantonio singled out tight end Matt Sokol when asked who might have helped his case on Monday. “I thought Matt Sokol did a nice job out there. He ran crisp routes, caught the ball very well,” Dantonio said of the Rochester Adams product.
Sokol caught passes from former MSU graduate transfer quarterback Mickey Macius, and the tight end said he thought he surprised scouts with his routes and fluid running.

“It’s a weird feeling,” Sokol said after the workout. “You’ve been working on thinking about this for a long time from January, watching the combine, knowing that today was your day to perform and have that experience. It’s a little bit of a weight lifted off, it’s over, and you just left it all out there, did the best I could, was happy with how I did, and I think a lot of the guys around here feel that way, too.”

His 23 reps in the bench press would have ranked second among tight ends at the combine. Sokol notched a 30.5-inch vertical jump and a broad jump of 9-feet, 4-inches.

0040B5E3-AB5C-4120-8EFD-9D56AFEA78E8.jpeg
He has bounced around the league quite a bit. The negative spin on this is that he is not good enough to stick on any team. The flipside of that is that multiple teams have seen something in him, in to sign him to their practice squads (twice, for Chargers and Jaguars). He is a longshot to make the team for sure but I suspect that he is a little bit more than just a camp body, in the minds of the coaching staff. They probably see some potential for him to eventually be a core special teams player and short yardage in-line tight end.

We needed a 5th TE for TC... But too bad the FO didn't bother attempting to find somebody who doesn't really suck.
More made up BS by captain I would suspect that every player on every team described as 5th at their position and considered by you to only be there for TC really does suck. Your truly losing it in your attempts to spin everything.

Sokol’s parents met at West Point as cadets. He was a QB in high school. Criminally underused at MSU, but he looks the part.

He looks the part... Until he has to actually do something on the field...

More made up BS by captain I would suspect that every player on every team described as 5th at their position and considered by you to only be there for TC really does suck. Your truly losing it in your attempts to spin everything.
The opposite view is that every signing has a good chance of making the roster.

The reality is that almost all signings are made to provide practice bodies for camp.

And yes, these players are a LONG shot to compete for Practice Squad positions (as are players signed to rosters of other teams).

Last edited:

Another ignorant lemming heard-from...

The opposite view is that every signing has a good chance of making the roster.

The reality is almost all signings are made to provide practice bodies for camp.

And yes, these players are a LONG shot to compete for Practice Squad positions (as are players signed to rosters of other teams.
Obviously. Come on though the grand Captain was trying to indite the FO over the 5th TE a guy he even said would only be here for TC. The Captain is losing it.

Another ignorant lemming heard-from...
Captain - He's not an ignorant lemming. But it's no surprise that you think so.

Tell everyone, again, how Antoine Winfield was such a great pick and Dugger was a f'in waste. Tell everyone how Onwenu is a blob who can't play.

You've never admitted to being wrong. You just flip flop to pretending you were right all along.

Ziegler and the Raiders continue to tweak their roster. Bryan Edwards gone

Jarvis Landry signs with the Saints:

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes