PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Draft: Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Cousins. Here is a second and third day mock to consider. Thoughts? It's my mock so if I have offended, tough darts!

Round 2
#56 Edge Jaylon Fuergeson Louisiana Tech
#64 WR Andy Isabella UMass. (If Samuel is still there .perhaps)

Round 3
#73 TRADE , Plus pick Pats 3rd Round pick #101 to AZ for Rosen and Cardinal pick #103 (First of the 4th Round) For QB Josh Rosen (No brainer here)
#97 S Amain Hooker S/CB/OLB Michigan (BB loves multi taskers)

Round 4
#103 OT Max Scharping Northern Illinois(Scholar-athlete. 53 Consecutive starts. According to PFF, allowed just eight QB pressures on 469 pass-blocking snaps for a 92.2% pass block grade through the MAC Championship game). Swing Tackle
#126 TRADE from Chicago for #205 in 6th , #243 + #246 in 7th (Chicago has only 4 Draft picks) Pats select Khale Warring TE San Diego St.
#134 TRADE DT Gerald McCoy Bucs.

Round 7
#239 LB Sione Takitaki BYU
#252 TE Dax Raymond Utah St.
DW Toys

Trading for young Josh. Khale Warring. McCoy for a 4th-rounder. Not a hope in hell, but ... why not? :D

Hey Ken, I knew you wouldn't be happy with the Harry pick, and I respect that. But did you see any impact DL left available at #32? I surely didn't, they all went early.

IMO the best DL talent remaining is Zach Allen on the edge, and Khalen Saunders inside.
No, that's why I didn't break anything when I heard it. ;). Tillery was SOOOO close. They only had to go up to 29 to get him and 29 was for sale.

They might have tried to move up and it just didn't happen. But there really wasn't a DL/Edge pick at 32 when they got there, except MAYBE Fergueson. . I would have traded down and tried to pick up Fergueson at the top of 2nd and get the big WR later in the 2nd or 3rd.

I just see what our division rivals did and compare it to us. We are once again going to have to manufacture pressure since we won't have a single guy on the roster who can do it on his own under 34.

As for Zack Allen, I'm not a big fan. Decent player who wouldn't hurt, but I'd rather get Anthony Nelson (Iowa). Not as strong, but more of an explosive player. Allen reminds me of a 3-4 DE. He'd have been a good fit for that position in 2004

Phillip Dorsett will have to have the camp of his Life to make this roster he's far from a Lock. Also Bruce Ellington could surprise WR's like him do well here traditionally.
I don’t know about that..doesn’t Dorsett have guaranteed money?

OK Cousins. Here is a second and third day mock to consider. Thoughts? It's my mock so if I have offended, tough darts!

Round 2
#56 Edge Jaylon Fuergeson Louisiana Tech
#64 WR Andy Isabella UMass. (If Samuel is still there .perhaps)

Round 3
#73 TRADE , Plus pick Pats 3rd Round pick #101 to AZ for Rosen and Cardinal pick #103 (First of the 4th Round) For QB Josh Rosen (No brainer here)
#97 S Amain Hooker S/CB/OLB Michigan (BB loves multi taskers)

Round 4
#103 OT Max Scharping Northern Illinois(Scholar-athlete. 53 Consecutive starts. According to PFF, allowed just eight QB pressures on 469 pass-blocking snaps for a 92.2% pass block grade through the MAC Championship game). Swing Tackle
#126 TRADE from Chicago for #205 in 6th , #243 + #246 in 7th (Chicago has only 4 Draft picks) Pats select Khale Warring TE San Diego St.
#134 TRADE DT Gerald McCoy Bucs.

Round 7
#239 LB Sione Takitaki BYU
#252 TE Dax Raymond Utah St.
DW Toys

Love your mock - However would a trade with SF for Solomon Thomas be a better value. I know McCoy is the much better player right now, but as you pointed out there were reasons for his horrible season last year. With Thomas we'd get all that potential plus 2 years of control at a price we can well afford. With McCoy we'd have scramble to fit him under the cap on would likely be a one year rental. Just sayin'

No, that's why I didn't break anything when I heard it. ;). Tillery was SOOOO close. They only had to go up to 29 to get him and 29 was for sale.

Tillery's a tough one. He's a terrific talent, but a bit of a hothead on the field...and arguably a bit too interesting off it. I feel bad saying that, but Tillery's a super-intelligent guy with a lot of interests and opinions outside of football. He'd be my first choice of draft picks to invite to a dinner party, but I'm not convinced he's going to eat, sleep and breathe football the way BB & co. would want. My long-ago draft binky Stewart Bradley was another one of those.

Mike Lombardi on online draft show predicted KNeal Harris or Zach Allen with the 32 pick. I am guessing they’ll pick him if he still there at 56.
They should go up and grab him. Elite edge setter that can line up anywhere on the DL and generate pressure.

My guesses for the day. I will be pleasantly surprised to get any of these right:

56: Dre'mont Jones
64: Connor Mcgovern
73: Taylor Rapp
97: Josh Oliver
101: Andy Isabella

STOP IT!!!! Just STOP it. You got your WR in the first. Crow about it all you want, but the fact is we will leave the best DL draft in a decade WITHOUT an impact player. That is a player that will make a difference THIS season. Maybe we will find another Trey Flowers in a later round who in a year or two can develop into a better than average player. But adding another 2 or 3 WRs smacks of idiocy.

Now that being said, I'm praying Andy Isabella winds up with the team as well as a 2nd or 3rd round TE (KWarring is my choice). But this team needs a QUALITY DT and a difference maker Edge presence. EVERY single one of our division rivals now have added one in the first round, and now have at least 2 on their DL. Our best rusher will be THIRTY FOUR!!!!!!. What did we get. A decent bit WR who can't separate, and we HOPE will become Anquan Boldin in a few years. WEEEEEEEE! :rolleyes:

Did you ignore the bit where I mentioned Khalen Saunders, Zach Allen, Anthony Nelson and Joejuan Williams. Or the other post where I listed Jahlani Tavai and Sione Takitaki?

Who were you so interested in at 32?

We can anyone we want that was available at 32, if we are willing to use a comp 3 to move up.

I suppose you would have preferred that we drafted your favorite DT at 32 and then traded up for the WR. We got the WR the team wanted. We can trade up for Winovich or Allen if we wish. Alternatively, we can sign a DL after the draft and trade for another.
=====
Winovich is going to be a Ninko type LB - Allen would be a GREAT pick if we were still playing a 2 gap 3-4. We aren't. No one left in the draft would have had the impact potential of Tillery.

But I'm over it. Making a trade up is NOT a given. It takes 2 to make it happen. It didn't, so it was what it was. All the top DLmen were gone. That's the pain of picking 32nd. Obviously not in love with picking a WR at 32 when we could have traded out and gotten someone close or better later.

But Harry was the pick and he's likely going to be a decent complimentary receiver...we hope. History tells us if he has only 500 yds, he will be the most productive rookie WR in the BB era. If you expect more than that, you are are not being realistic. He could eventually develop into a very good WR, but THIS year you are hoping he'll be as good as Michell (a 4th round pick) with better knees.

Right now the DLman I'm interested in is Anthony Nelson of Iowa. More athletic than Allen, not as strong, but probably could be had in the 3rd or 4th.

Trade our first second-rounder to Arizona for Josh Rosen. A Passover present.

6’4” Californian who throws a beautiful spiral and has big hands. What’s not to like?

Then with our next pick...well, i’ve already done it:
2019 Annual PatsFans Draft Contest

Hey Ken, I knew you wouldn't be happy with the Harry pick, and I respect that. But did you see any impact DL left available at #32? I surely didn't, they all went early.

IMO the best DL talent remaining is Zach Allen on the edge, and Khalen Saunders inside.

Two names I had on the list Ken had such an issue with.

That was his listed time, though not at the combine - but supposedly, he ran a 4.3 elsewhere.
Gordon went in he supplemental draft and his pro day prior to that had him listed as running a 4.52 in front of whichever NFL scouts came out to watch. I would guess he ran that without going through any of the sprinter training the players go through before the annual combine.

So much talent available tomorrow. So lucky to have so many picks.
Let's hope they actually use some of them. I can see 11 day 2 and day 3 picks become 6 picks total, with some moving forward to the 2035 draft when Steven Belichick is in charge. All kidding aside, if we can make a 2019 2nd round pick+ a 2019 3rd round pick turn into a 1st round 2020 pick, I can see Belichick making that trade.

Right now the DLman I'm interested in is Anthony Nelson of Iowa. More athletic than Allen, not as strong, but probably could be had in the 3rd or 4th.

HE WAS ON MY EFFIN LIST!!!!!!!!

Did you ignore the bit where I mentioned Khalen Saunders, Zach Allen, Anthony Nelson and Joejuan Williams. Or the other post where I listed Jahlani Tavai and Sione Takitaki?
These are ALL interesting prospects who, if picked by the Pats, have the POTENTIAL to become contributors.....down the road. As for Williams, you know that personally, I never met a tall CB that I didn't want, even though we are STACKED at CB. ;)

Really like to see us come away with Mecole Hardman out of GA. He and Harry would be filthy to defend along side Edelman

So much talent available tomorrow. So lucky to have so many picks.
Let's hope they actually use some of them. I can see 11 day 2 and day 3 picks become 6 picks total, with some moving forward to the 2035 draft when Steven Belichick is in charge. All kidding aside, if we can make a 2019 2nd round pick+ a 2019 3rd round pick turn into a 1st round 2020 pick, I can see Belichick making that trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back