PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Draft: Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m thinking they go o line. Which means they will do the opposite most likely. I did not imagine a wr pick in round one. I’m not complaining, the guys great so I’m happy with the pick, just wouldn’t have bet on something like that. Maybe now they go for defense or tight end but who can say?

Picks for the Patriots I would like to see (not counting on a trade up atm) today

S Amani Hooker
CB David Long
CB JoeJuan Williams
DL Zach Allen
DT Khalen Saunders
DE Chase Winovich
DE Anthony Nelson
TE Irv Smith
TE Josh Oliver
TE Jace Sternberger
OT Chuma Edoga
OT Max Scharping
QB Will Grier
WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside
WR Andy Isabella
WR Diontae Johnson

Drafting Chuma Edoga would be the WTF pick for me :D

Ok, so with the 32nd pick, we take N'Keal Harry. What do we do with the 56th and 64th pick? Trade? Double dip at WR? Go for a TE?

At this point, if we do go for another WR, I wouldn't be mad at a possible trade up for AJ Brown, sit at 56th and 64th for Deebo Samuel, or even Riley Ridley...Or TE Irv Smith/Kahale Warring

Thoughts...

OK Cousins. Here is a second and third day mock to consider. Thoughts? It's my mock so if I have offended, tough darts!

Round 2
#56 Edge Jaylon Fuergeson Louisiana Tech
#64 WR Andy Isabella UMass. (If Samuel is still there .perhaps)

Round 3
#73 TRADE , Plus pick Pats 3rd Round pick #101 to AZ for Rosen and Cardinal pick #103 (First of the 4th Round) For QB Josh Rosen (No brainer here)
#97 S Amain Hooker S/CB/OLB Michigan (BB loves multi taskers)

Round 4
#103 OT Max Scharping Northern Illinois(Scholar-athlete. 53 Consecutive starts. According to PFF, allowed just eight QB pressures on 469 pass-blocking snaps for a 92.2% pass block grade through the MAC Championship game). Swing Tackle
#126 TRADE from Chicago for #205 in 6th , #243 + #246 in 7th (Chicago has only 4 Draft picks) Pats select Khale Warring TE San Diego St.
#134 TRADE DT Gerald McCoy Bucs.

Round 7
#239 LB Sione Takitaki BYU
#252 TE Dax Raymond Utah St.
DW Toys

I had forgotten about the legendary WTF second rnd pick. :eek:
I think Jordan Richards was the last straw. BB gave up his right to ever draft his player in the second round :)

Drew Lock accuracy sucks arse. I wouldn't draft him if he dropped to the 4th round. I would be horrified if we wasted a 2nd or 3rd round pick on that stiff. Too many quality players available in the next two rounds.

OT, TE, S, DT, DE would all be great tonight. Whoever is at top of their board.

I'm predicting 4 picks tonight after trades, 3 in the 2nd and 1 in the 3rd.

One guy who will be great value to whichever team grabs him is Mack Wilson. Not a need for the Patriots, perhaps, but I think he's going to be a very good linebacker in the NFL.

Maybe a trade today or tomorrow for Kyle Rudolf/Brate or Solomon Thomas (though I'd rater they grab Allan Bailey), or Josh Rosen.

Top target today: OL. I like Michael Dieter if Ford/Little/Taylor/Risner are all gone. Taylor must have some serious injury concerns to still be there on the board.

Let's talk 2nd round specifically. IMO WR can wait at this point, and there's such a indistinct cloud of TE talent that I'd be happy to wait there too. (Though if they take my favorite, I won't complain. ;))

I expect bigger dropoff in talent from 2nd to third in OT especially, plus IOL, DT, DE, DB, and dare I say it, QB.

Players I'd love who'd probably please everybody: OT D. Risner (or J. Taylor if medicals not too dire), DE Z. Allen, C.B. J. Williams
Players who wouldn't surprise me but could cause some howling: QB Grier or Lock, LB Cashman, several of the safeties.

1.There are four interesting TEs if you discount Irv: Sternberger/Oliver/Warring/Knox although I also like Sample.

2.I’m hoping for a speedier WR tomorrow. McLaurin is my guy but Isabella and Hardman count too. I wouldn’t entirely discount the upside of Boykin, or the safe hands of Diontae Johnson or Stanley Morgan/Cody Thompson (day 3)
3. On defense, Joejuan Williams,Juan Thornhill, Khalen Saunders, Anthony Nelson, Zach Allen are all amongst my favourites

4. And then there’s OL. Got to think Dalton Risner goes early tomorrow but there’s still Cody Ford, Greg Little and Juwuan James so who knows. Might be the option at 56.

Lots of possibilities.
STOP IT!!!! Just STOP it. You got your WR in the first. Crow about it all you want, but the fact is we will leave the best DL draft in a decade WITHOUT an impact player. That is a player that will make a difference THIS season. Maybe we will find another Trey Flowers in a later round who in a year or two can develop into a better than average player. But adding another 2 or 3 WRs smacks of idiocy.

Now that being said, I'm praying Andy Isabella winds up with the team as well as a 2nd or 3rd round TE (KWarring is my choice). But this team needs a QUALITY DT and a difference maker Edge presence. EVERY single one of our division rivals now have added one in the first round, and now have at least 2 on their DL. Our best rusher will be THIRTY FOUR!!!!!!. What did we get. A decent bit WR who can't separate, and we HOPE will become Anquan Boldin in a few years. WEEEEEEEE! :rolleyes:

Ran 4.53 and Josh Gordon 4.52. If they match him against a small CB he will get no separation but will win on the jump ball, if they match him against a S like Chung he will win too. He is a matchup nightmare. Maybe his role won't be a speedster, they can draft a guy like Campbell to open the field.

If you are a combine warrior with 0 production or a 5'9'' 166 lbs you NEED to be a speedster ... All good DT and EDGE guys worth a 1st were gone. It is a good pick.
Gordon didn't run a 4.52..

STOP IT!!!! Just STOP it. You got your WR in the first. Crow about it all you want, but the fact is we will leave the best DL draft in a decade WITHOUT an impact player. That is a player that will make a difference THIS season. Maybe we will find another Trey Flowers in a later round who in a year or two can develop into a better than average player. But adding another 2 or 3 WRs smacks of idiocy.

Hey Ken, I knew you wouldn't be happy with the Harry pick, and I respect that. But did you see any impact DL left available at #32? I surely didn't, they all went early.

IMO the best DL talent remaining is Zach Allen on the edge, and Khalen Saunders inside.

I see him as a possession receiver mainly that offers YAC and is someone that Brady can trust to ‘get the ball’ in 50/50 scenarios. His blocking is excellent which is a big plus and he offers punt return availability which adds to his value. Good solid no 2. Can play X, Y and slot.
that's a good summery. I don't hate the player. I like the player. I hate the spot where we took him and the lack of movement that kept us from getting Tillery

Screw Volin. He disrespected Da Burkmeister.

Volin isn't worth quoting. He has no contacts in the building and hasn't had an original thought or insight since he's gotten the job. A very LAZY, take the easy take, reporter. If there is a worse one on the beat, I don't know him.

Who were you so interested in at 32?

We can anyone we want that was available at 32, if we are willing to use a comp 3 to move up.

I suppose you would have preferred that we drafted your favorite DT at 32 and then traded up for the WR. We got the WR the team wanted. We can trade up for Winovich or Allen if we wish. Alternatively, we can sign a DL after the draft and trade for another.
=====

Now that being said, I'm praying Andy Isabella winds up with the team as well as a 2nd or 3rd round TE (KWarring is my choice). But this team needs a QUALITY DT and a difference maker Edge presence. EVERY single one of our division rivals now have added one in the first round, and now have at least 2 on their DL. Our best rusher will be THIRTY FOUR!!!!!!. What did we get. A decent bit WR who can't separate, and we HOPE will become Anquan Boldin in a few years. WEEEEEEEE! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back