PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL considering changing DPI to 15 yard penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must not watch much college football because this statement is just ignorance.

There are plenty of deep passes completed in the NCAA, and DPI is not called any more in college than in the NFL. And I say that as someone who does not support changing the NFL's rule.

I watch college ball all day on Saturdays, and usually have multiple televisions set up in my living room. So yes, I watch plenty. Just because deep passes are completed doesn’t mean pass interference occurs at a slower clip. Most of the time when a deep pass is completed in college, it’s usually due to the corner being less athletic that the receiver (such as when Bama plays Grambling) and getting burned or when the coverage is broken. But in tight coverages when the corner is tracking by one step, DPI occurs all the time specifically because the corner knows it’s only 15 yards given up. As for DPI “not getting called more in college than the NFL”, you’re more than welcome to show me the data on that. Even on its face, that statement makes no sense due purely to the amount of teams in the NCAA vs the NFL and then going from there.

i will say, 100% cheating goodell, harbaugh, etc are doing this at this time to target the pats and brandin cooks.

disgusting how obvious the cheating from park ave is

Remember when they fixed overtime by changing the rules?
Remember when they fixed the catch rule by changing the rule?
Remember when they fixed the challenge rule by changing the rule?

No, you don't, because some problems have no 100% solutions.

The coin toss is unfair, too. How should we fix that?

I watch college ball all day on Saturdays, and usually have multiple televisions set up in my living room. So yes, I watch plenty.
I find that very hard to believe given the comments you have made.
As for DPI “not getting called more in college than the NFL”, you’re more than welcome to show me the data on that. Even on its face, that statement makes no sense due purely to the amount of teams in the NCAA vs the NFL and then going from there.
Even Forrest Gump is smart enough to understand that, given the context of my statement and the fact that there are something like 700 NCAA football teams in all divisions, I am clearly talking about things on a per-game basis, as opposed to total occurrences across the board.

Don't worry, I know you're smart enough to understand what I meant and that you were just being a douchenozzle.

I just don't believe for a second that the league is considering this rule change because of Brandin Cooks.

You sound like the people who thought centralizing replay in the NFL's offices was some sort of anti-Patriot agenda as well. And then we benefitted from 3 huge replay overturns in the course of the regular season.

I find that very hard to believe given the comments you have made.
Even Forrest Gump is smart enough to understand that, given the context of my statement and the fact that there are something like 700 NCAA football teams in all divisions, I am clearly talking about things on a per-game basis, as opposed to total occurrences across the board.

Don't worry, I know you're smart enough to understand what I meant and that you were just being a douchenozzle.
So you’ve got nothing, then. Got it.

I know it's the college rule, but I can't imagine why players don't just tackle anyone who beats them deep under that rule. Why not? Because the wide open receiver could theoretically drop it?
Because if you're beat so badly that tackling the receiver before the ball gets there is a better option, perhaps you can't even make the tackle in the first place? And if you're close enough to tackle you're close enough to try and make a play on the ball rather than risk the penalty or TD

So you’ve got nothing, then. Got it.
You made the original claim, I provided the reply. It falls on you to support your original claim.

We're still waiting.

You made the original claim, I provided the reply. It falls on you to support your original claim.

We're still waiting.
One of the more famous cases in the last several years right off the top of my head: The NCAA rule that hurt Mississippi State after Bama’s Hail Mary PI call

I also went to multiple Gator games this last season and was at the Miami/FSU game in Tallhassee. The latter of which I saw multiple occasions where both teams committed DPI when the receiver had a step on them. But this stance is well known to anyone that watches college ball, which makes me question how much you actually do.

Now, Wolfpack, about that data that shows it occurs at the same clip as the NFL on a per-team basis. I await with bated breath.

I just don't believe for a second that the league is considering this rule change because of Brandin Cooks.

You sound like the people who thought centralizing replay in the NFL's offices was some sort of anti-Patriot agenda as well. And then we benefitted from 3 huge replay overturns in the course of the regular season.

are you new to this? anything that is perceived as an advantage for ne, like filming/scouting, ineligible and eligible receivers, junping over the line to block fgs, etc, or now the carch rule, it is always targete very clearly at the pats.

bill polian led this agenda-driven charge in 2003 and it hasn’t let up since.

it has gotten so bad, casual nfl fans who don’t know the rules of the nfl anymore due to the feverish pace of rule changes in this league. it is so bizarre, all you have to do is follow the other leagues. mlb, nba, nhl, etc, don’t have such severe rule adjustments all the time because those leagues don’t have abusive and moron/corrupt commissioners.

and yes, i am stunned they are looking to change the pi penalty, because it needed to be changed a long time ago. so, the one season
bb acquires a really fast wr like cooks where brady did use the desperation chuck 40 yards downfield to get something cooking with sputtering offense, it worked.

throw in the perception (key word here for goodell), with ne “getting all the calls”, even though they are 100% the right calls (save for the clement td in the super bowl), and you better believe this is organized cheating by goodell, mike tomlin and john harbaugh at the top of the competition committee.

Because if you're beat so badly that tackling the receiver before the ball gets there is a better option, perhaps you can't even make the tackle in the first place?

Not usually, at the NFL level

are you new to this? anything that is perceived as an advantage for ne, like filming/scouting, ineligible and eligible receivers, junping over the line to block fgs, etc, or now the carch rule, it is always targete very clearly at the pats.

bill polian led this agenda-driven charge in 2003 and it hasn’t let up since.
The "Bill Polian agenda" was to make things tougher for defenses. This (potential) rule change does the opposite.

So when the league makes things tougher for defenses, it's an anti-Patriot agenda. And when the league makes things easier for defenses, it's an anti-Patriot agenda. :rolleyes:

i have been contacted by the mods here for much less in terms of the board rules, but why are you and others given special rules a la goodell and how he leads the nfl?
Because kontradiction has an AWESOME sense of humor. You'll note I've never used such terms towards you, for example.

dude, i really don’t care about this sort of thing with stangers on a messageboard. millennials do, but no one else does.
Well if you don't care, then why did you ask the question in the first place and - in the very same post - say "just curious"? Clearly you care a great deal.

The "Bill Polian agenda" was to make things tougher for defenses. This (potential) rule change does the opposite.

So when the league makes things tougher for defenses, it's an anti-Patriot agenda. And when the league makes things easier for defenses, it's an anti-Patriot agenda.

if brandin cooks was not a patriot, i would bet my life this rule change would not be on the table.

it is arguably the most pathetic god awful rule in all of sports, and magically, only now do they want it changed? i am not buying it. it is because i watched brady use it A LOT this year with cooks.

he hasn’t had a receiver like that before, save for moss, but cooks is much smaller so the speed element and desperation by a defender on him is slightly different. i mean, how many times this year was that guy grabbed or armbarred?? a new pats wr record amount of time, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore