PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL considering changing DPI to 15 yard penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread, and some of the ideas getting thrown about in it, is a great example of why the rule (and most rules in the league) should not be messed with.

Because a replay will not solve any controversy in terms of pass interference.
It will not solve *every* controversy but it will solve *some*.

It is mind boggling how you seem to think that refereeing - even judgment calls - can’t improve by giving the refs a couple looks at a play instead of just one look.

Officials do a horrible job in calling pass interference. It varies from ref to ref and that's not fair to other teams either getting away with it or being called all the time.
I'm sure it gets to a point that once a penalty is called a few times the refs get paranoid and then let it go. There is hardly a case for incidental contact. DB's are pretty darn good at making it look like, oh wow, i didn't mean to do that.
If you interfere with a receiver, it should be a penalty........................
If a receiver interferes with a DB so he can make the catch, it should be a penalty..
Don't leave it up to the refs and NY to determine who wins.

umm, no they don’t

ALL. THE. TIME.

When you get a guy grabbing and tackling downfield, the announcers make note of the rule difference.

Been watching college ball for 40 years. Always been that way.

I also think the pros will be much better at doing this than the college kids, because the college game is wide open when it comes to passing. In the pros where the receivers are much tighter to the DBs, you're going to see DBs just tackling guys without turning their heads around.

Whenever I see the thread title I keep thinking it says:

NFL considering changing DPI to death penalty

I can't help it...maybe whatshisface can steal that idea for the XFL reboot.

It will not solve *every* controversy but it will solve *some*.

It is mind boggling how you seem to think that refereeing - even judgment calls - can’t improve by giving the refs a couple looks at a play instead of just one look.

Yay we reduced PI by at best 10%. Nobody will notice because we are still discussing the frustrating other 90%. Congratulations you solved nothing but polished the numbers.

Yay we reduced PI by at best 10%. Nobody will notice because we are still discussing the frustrating other 90%. Congratulations you solved nothing but polished the numbers.
WTF are you talking about? I am not looking to reduce PI, I am looking to reduce the number of bad calls.

It boggles the mind how some people can't realize that a referee getting a couple views from a couple angles might just help make the right call instead of automatically going with whatever the call on the field was, oftentimes made from some guy standing 20 yards away.

Unfortunately making this change would encourage -every- db who gets beat to just drag the receiver down rather than give up a TD. Not sure if this will hurt the NFL more than helps.

And if as someone suggested we broke this into a two part rule, where spot of foul is given for 'flagrant' pass interference, that would again put way too much power in the hands of the referees who could decide a game by giving 1 team only the 15 yard version, while giving another team the spot of the foul version just yards shy of the goal line.

Unfortunately making this change would encourage -every- db who gets beat to just drag the receiver down rather than give up a TD. Not sure if this will hurt the NFL more than helps.

And if as someone suggested we broke this into a two part rule, where spot of foul is given for 'flagrant' pass interference, that would again put way too much power in the hands of the referees who could decide a game by giving 1 team only the 15 yard version, while giving another team the spot of the foul version just yards shy of the goal line.

Goddell and his band of lawyers are going to tweet whatever rules then need to control the flow of the game and produce results advantageous to the NFL. They don't fix games but they sure can shape the outcome.

Goddell and his band of lawyers are going to tweet whatever rules then need to control the flow of the game and produce results advantageous to the NFL. They don't fix games but they sure can shape the outcome.

Absolutely. Anyone denying this hasn't been paying attention the last 10+ years. It all makes sense now.

The owners not named Kraft, all told Goodell to do whatever he needs to do for the expected outcome of anything; game, a contract, a punishment, etc.

ALL. THE. TIME.

When you get a guy grabbing and tackling downfield, the announcers make note of the rule difference.

Been watching college ball for 40 years. Always been that way.

I also think the pros will be much better at doing this than the college kids, because the college game is wide open when it comes to passing. In the pros where the receivers are much tighter to the DBs, you're going to see DBs just tackling guys without turning their heads around.

How is that different in the NFL now? Every deep route Cooks ran this year, he was cheated an grabbed by the arm. The only difference is, we don't get calls. I laughed at the game in NY this year, where they showed a supposed illegal pick, I think on Amendola, and in the background, you can see Cooks being grabbed up by the pads, and held so badly, it would be impossible not to see it.

This amongst a myriad of other maul jobs on him in that game that went completely uncalled.

So, not only do I not trust the refs and their induced cheating via Goodell, I don't trust that our own D will be treated fairly with how Goodell instructs refs to favor the opponent when our lethal offense has a big lead in games. That's more so my reasoning here. I've seen us victimized by that Manning-based chuck it down field crap for years. We started doing it here in recent years, just to keep up, but it's a really bad look for the sport.

It just shouldn't be a spot call because teams that are losing run designed deep plays to sel the refs on PI, which is a mockery of the game.

15 yards is fair.

Sounds like Harbaugh won't allow it and will squash it, though. His 20 mil per Herman Munster look-alike QB would immediately be out of the league without it.

The other rule that needs addressing the "targeting" rule. It makes no sense to not include runners who get whacked flush, upside the helmet by a player who is coming from a ways off, and has all kinds of opportunity to hit at the chest, waist, thighs or below the knees.

Very simple, but for some bizarre reason, the hypocritical NFL all concerned about head injuries, refuses to address it.

Teams take dirty cheapshots at our players constantly. It's all but encouraged from 345 Park Ave.

Last edited:
How is that different in the NFL now? Every deep route Cooks ran this year, he was cheated an grabbed by the arm. The only difference is, we don't get calls. I laughed at the game in NY this year, where they showed a supposed illegal pick, I think on Amendola, and in the background, you can see Cooks being grabbed up by the pads, and held so badly, it would be impossible not to see it.

This amongst a myriad of other maul jobs on him in that game that went completely uncalled.

So, not only do I not trust the refs and their induced cheating via Goodell, I don't trust that our own D will be treated fairly with how Goodell instructs refs to favor the opponent when our lethal offense has a big lead in games. That's more so my reasoning here. I've seen us victimized by that Manning-based chuck it down field crap for years. We started doing it here in recent years, just to keep up, but it's a really bad look for the sport.

It just shouldn't be a spot call because teams that are losing run designed deep plays to sel the refs on PI, which is a mockery of the game.

15 yards is fair.

Sounds like Harbaugh won't allow it and will squash it, though. His 20 mil per Herman Munster look-alike QB would immediately be out of the league without it.

The other rule that needs addressing the "targeting" rule. It makes no sense to not include runners who get whacked flush, upside the helmet by a player who is coming from a ways off, and has all kinds of opportunity to hit at the chest, waist, thighs or below the knees.

Very simple, but for some bizarre reason, the hypocritical NFL all concerned about head injuries, refuses to address it.

Teams take dirty cheapshots at our players constantly. It's all but encouraged from 345 Park Ave.

It's different because now you can be blatant and make sure he doesn't catch the ball. This makes it very different. Tackle him if you must.

It's different because now you can be blatant and make sure he doesn't catch the ball. This makes it very different. Tackle him if you must.

But, it's still a penalty and momentum for the offense, so it doesn't really help anyway. It moves the sticks. Tackling someone twice would mean 30 yards.

It's still too much of an unfair penalty to be a spot penalty, when the QB can control when and where he wants to move the ball to.

It'd be one thing if the refs weren't so willing to throw the flag with awful acting jobs, as they ignore other egregious calls like armbars.

I think they need to stop the hand contact entirely once the ball's in the air. That should be the first step in fixing the broken system they have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore