PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Appeal oral arguments thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm eagerly anticipating what Munson has to say about this case. His track record is impeccable and his opinion is the only one I need to hear.

Just as long as he doesn't start saying Brady will win....

My "tin foil hat" theory as to what will happen after today:

The two sides will have their final day in court and then the NFL will give back the draft picks and $1 million dollars. The owners have instructed the lawyers that this is the end of the line for this case win or lose, they are sick of this "bologna" always popping up in the news. My hope is that the NFL realizes that they were wrong about the IGL, but because they took this case too far and it now has turned into a labor dispute they were unwilling to show weakness until the appeal was heard. I believe that once this case is in the courts no more evidence/outside influences will be heard by the judges and so the NFL will be free to rescind the team punishment. With this warped logic of mine, I also see a scenario where if the case is won by the NFL , they drop the 4 game suspension too. The owners have realized how much player goodwill has been lost lately and want to plan ahead for the next CBA negotiations by throwing the PA some bones. And for all you Kraft haters, this has been his plan all along and is the reason Brady still loves Kraft so much.

I know there are a lot of holes in this theory and to some extent this post should be ignored, but some part of me needs to believe that people that run for POTUS or run billion dollar organizations like the NFL can't be this ignorant/petty. There has to be some kind of strategy, right?

Remember, I live in WA, one of the states where weed is legal.

following the twitter feed above...
seems like the judges are sane!

favorable start, no?

First question makes sense, Chin appeared to be the most liberal of the three judges.

Don't particularly like Katzmann's question because the fact-finding of the arbitrator is supposed to be beyond scope per my understanding. Unless they actually are considering to rule on what Berman didn't (impartiality).

Said stickum is prohibited...gross disparity between the two punishments. Looks good so far

1. Max Stendahl ‏@MaxLaw360 9m9 minutes ago
    Parker questions whether you get "any advantage on the field" from under inflated footballs.

2. Raffi Melkonian Retweeted
    Max Stendahl ‏@MaxLaw360 10m10 minutes ago
    Judge Parker says some might call suspension "draconian." "Why is the inflation level so critical in these games?"

Raffi Melkonian Retweeted
    Max Stendahl ‏@MaxLaw360 12m12 minutes ago
    Judge Chin notes that first offenses for uniform and equipment violations result in fines. Clement: suspension was for "conduct detrimental"

Raffi Melkonian Retweeted
    Max Stendahl ‏@MaxLaw360 14m14 minutes ago
    Judge Parker: "There was no element of surprise" related to the cell phone issue.

DIdn't expect it this one sided...i know they will go after both but this is pretty stong off the bat

Is there any chance Brady hired Jackie Chiles to his legal staff for the appeal hearings?
Why not? The NFL hired the "Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer".

"I do not know this 'due process' you speak of, I am but an NFL lawyer".

"You confuse and frighten me with your modern ways. I do not know this mysterious 'Gas Law" you keep mentioning. Sounds like some sort of sorcery!"

"There is one thing I do know, your honor! Article 46!"

150428_2862211_Unfrozen_Caveman_Lawyer_anvver_1.jpg

I just heard on the radio one of the judge's questions was "Isn't stickum a violation and why was is there such disparity in punishments. "

I agree that it is going well so far, but would just caution that they are questioning the NFL's attorney at the moment. They will be tough on Brady's counsel too. Nevertheless, they have definitely seized on the inherent unfairness and lack of process the NFL used here, which bodes well IMO.

Still boggles my mind that the NFL can find $12m+ to litigate this garbage but can't scrape up $50-100 bucks for a few extra endzone cameras.:mad:

Naah. Cameras cost a lot more than that, because the NFL needs them to be really reliable ...

... just like the headset communication system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes