PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next 3 games are huge now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats as the #1 or #2 seed have only failed to make the SB 2 out of 7 times. As the #3 or lower they have never made it to the SB.

I think i'd rather have a bye.

Am I missing something? They were the 5th seed in 85-86. Or are you just talking Belichick years?

Hahaha the AFC is such reprehensible garbage this year it's raw. Everyone but the Pats should go ahead and forfeit now because we're gonna just cheat at halftime anyway

No matter how the playoff picture works out. The games are going to be difficult. Whether we're the #1 seed versus the #2 seed is splitting hairs, just as long as we're one of those two. Cincy needs to lose one of its last three games, because we lose a tie-breaker against them. They have two divisional games, which if they win, more power to them.

I figure we lose one more game (either Miami or Baltimore), which means Cincy losing is of greater importance at this point. This weekend will be the test for Cincy. They are playing at Pittsburgh.

If Baltimore needs to win to enter the playoffs in their week 17 contest, then that game can turn into a slug-out. But right now, Cincy has won its last three, which were against half-decent teams (Cleveland, at San Diego, and Indy). But I think they lose to Pitts this weekend. We need them to, come Sunday night.

You always take home field advantage. It could be tougher in that there is a good chance KC wins on the road the first week and is low seed, and I think the Chef's are a bad match-up for the Patriots. On the other hand you want Peyton playing in the cold and wind in Foxborough in January. In the end I will take home field, because if you can't beat the Chef's at home you don't deserve to win the SB anyways, and i want the Bronco's to have to come here. They have a good crowd and significant Home Field advantage, so put that away the next three weeks and stay at home for the play-offs. With a SB in New Jersey there is no QB I would rather have than Tom Brady, so go cold all three.

I haven't heard anyone say the bye isn't important. But I think you can make a valid argument that the 2 seed COULD provide a higher likelihood of making the Super Bowl than the 1 seed.

There have been a ton of posters who've claimed that the bye is overrated, and that has been proven by the likes of the Ravens, Giants, Steelers, Colts, and Packers all winning the SB lately. We've seen these kinds of comments in all kinds of threads in the past month. I've been defending the bye aspect for at least a good month to many who felt that it wasn't that important based on recent trends. The problem is that we're nothing like any of those teams that were able to continue their regular season without any break, then playing an extra game and going on the road. I don't think it's a viable comparison to our 2013 team on any level.

As far as 1 vs 2--if you consider the odds being pretty high of having DEN win one game at home, that takes them to the AFCCG. I'd much rather have them come here than have to go there. The question of course, is how well we'd match up with our one home game in the divisional round, so that's where you're coming from in your comments.

I hear what you're saying and we've had plenty of debates in the past regarding whether Belichick has purposely gone for a different matchup, but in this case (at this specific moment in time), he's always going to try and win the last 3 and have the #1 seed and HFA. Of course if we lose a game that feeling and plan may change depending on the circumstances, especially if CIN moves into the #2 seed. Of course that's a whole other can of worms that is highly debatable and tends to rear its ugly head this time of year.

I like Tom Brady to win on the road but I like the New England Patriots to win at home. The Patriots have a sniff. This is when they play their best football.

Can't wait.

You always take home field advantage. It could be tougher in that there is a good chance KC wins on the road the first week and is low seed, and I think the Chef's are a bad match-up for the Patriots. On the other hand you want Peyton playing in the cold and wind in Foxborough in January. In the end I will take home field, because if you can't beat the Chef's at home you don't deserve to win the SB anyways, and i want the Bronco's to have to come here. They have a good crowd and significant Home Field advantage, so put that away the next three weeks and stay at home for the play-offs. With a SB in New Jersey there is no QB I would rather have than Tom Brady, so go cold all three.

I'm not as afraid of the Chiefs as many seem to be. They are much different away from Arrowhead. Sure, they pose a tough defensive matchup--but every team has a strength come playoff time, whether it's on defense or offense minded teams like DEN, IND, etc.

Hopefully we'll have an extra week to prepare, so that should raise the odds.

They were going to be important even had the Broncos won the game Thursday night. But yes, the Pats definitely have the inside track. That Ravens game is going to be tough, no matter their record.

The best thing about this season imo is that is is forcing this team to overachieve, and for both this season and the long term that is the brand that will define them. Anytime you can beat the best with less you set yourself apart and create a mentality where winning is always the likely outcome. Losing Gronkowski for the rest of the season creates yet another big obstacle for them to overcome, but the truth is they had to win without him and more on offense earlier this season, and they are actually much more capable of producing offensively now than they were then. Defensively it's much the same, they are going to have to going to have to step it up and play their best football for the next six games. They have obvious weaknesses, but they also still have plenty of talent and a mentality that they are going to find ways to win, and as we saw with last seasons Ravens run they may be more than the pieces suggest, and the testing the season has put them through may be the difference maker.

I like Tom Brady to win on the road but I like the New England Patriots to win at home. The Patriots have a sniff. This is when they play their best football.

Can't wait.

I wish I shared your enthusiasm. My concern is that we still don't know this team aside from the fact that they play close games every single week. Now that Gronk is gone again PLUS the decimated defense issue combined together for the first time, we may very well continue this trend of trying to squeak out victories at the last possible moment.

If they go on the road and win the next 2 vs tough(er) opponents on their home turf, then maybe they are getting it together and heading for a deep playoff run. If they split or continue these attempts to win on the last play of the game etc, then my concern will stand and I'll have to refill my Xanax prescription in time for the postseason.

The best thing about this season imo is that is is forcing this team to overachieve, and for both this season and the long term that is the brand that will define them. Anytime you can beat the best with less you set yourself apart and create a mentality where winning is always the likely outcome. Losing Gronkowski for the rest of the season creates yet another big obstacle for them to overcome, but the truth is they had to win without him and more on offense earlier this season, and they are actually much more capable of producing offensively now than they were then. Defensively it's much the same, they are going to have to going to have to step it up and play their best football for the next six games. They have obvious weaknesses, but they also still have plenty of talent and a mentality that they are going to find ways to win, and as we saw with last seasons Ravens run they may be more than the pieces suggest, and the testing the season has put them through may be the difference maker.

The overcoming adversity card is very important, and can carry a team a long way.

The issue with Gronk being gone on offense occurred earlier in the year though, when our defense was still very tough. In the past 8 games they are giving up close to 30 points per game (high 20's). I think it's a totally different animal that they'll be facing with the loss of Gronk this time. Hopefully they are up to the task and can continue overcoming the adversity.

I'm not as afraid of the Chiefs as many seem to be. They are much different away from Arrowhead. Sure, they pose a tough defensive matchup--but every team has a strength come playoff time, whether it's on defense or offense minded teams like DEN, IND, etc.

Hopefully we'll have an extra week to prepare, so that should raise the odds.

The reason i am concerned about the Chef's is that they are balanced. For this patriots team i would rather see them face a team that relies heavily upon certain aspects of their team, because the Patriots gameplan well and can force teams to have to beat them through their weaknesses. The Chef's aren't really loaded anywhere, but they have many strengths that can beat a team with the weaknesses the Patriots have. A patient and balanced team is going to be the hardest team for them to beat, and the Chef's have a good all around defense, Smith takes what is there, and they can run as well as anyone. That's a tough match for the Patriots no matter where it is.

I'll say this. We should ALL be thrilled that the young receivers had to endure that trial by fire with Gronk missing those early games. It wasn't always pretty, but the team persevered and won most of those games. That confidence from the game-winning catch against NO has to show up now for KT. Dobson was playing his best football before the foot injury. Hopefully, he can still play at that level when he returns and into the playoffs. This is good for the team in this home stretch of the season and into the playoffs.

The one guy who I keep hoping will break out at some point is Amendola. He must come up big. While that won't replace Gronk, it should still open some things up for the outside guys similarly to Gronk's presence. I think the outside guys, especially KT with his ability to beat jams pretty easily at times, would benefit and be able to beat their corners (especially the JV corners the Broncos are forced to put out on the field). Both guys would eat Cooper alive if KC comes to town. I just see some favorable matchups that improved play by Amendola could create. We'll see.

One more thing. Wouldn't it just be fitting for NE to win out and have Manning have to come to Foxboro for yet another AFCCG after almost winning the top seed and forcing NE to have to play in Indy? How many times have we seen this script? Everybody knows Manning and the Broncos, no matter what they might say, just don't want to come back to our place.

Oh, and Bruschi said it best just now on ESPN - These two should have to go through each other to possibly win another ring. I agree. I love football. I love the Patriots.

With denver losing..all we gotta do is win out and we have #1 seed.

We are getting 110% of effort from MIA and Balt as they are fighting for the playoffs. And they are on the road...going to be a wild finish i think

Thanks for the chance denver :D

The next 3 games were going to be huge either way. And you can't give 110% you can only give 100%

The overcoming adversity card is very important, and can carry a team a long way.

The issue with Gronk being gone on offense occurred earlier in the year though, when our defense was still very tough. In the past 8 games they are giving up close to 30 points per game (high 20's). I think it's a totally different animal that they'll be facing with the loss of Gronk this time. Hopefully they are up to the task and can continue overcoming the adversity.

Losing Gronkowski is huge, i would never underplay it, however Edelman has stepped up big time, Amendola is a threat albeit limited by injury, the rookies have developed and should return for the stretch run, their run game is good, and most importantly Vereen has turned into a dynamic player that can actually make the big plays in different way that replace the critical production the lost from Gronk. They are going to have to play their best football for the next 6 games but i honestly think they have the character and ability to pull it off. They may fall short but i think this is going to push them and make them much better going forward.

Next 3 games will be huge to determine a first round bye (hopefully as the #1 seed, though we could drop to #3 if we lose and cincy/denver doesn't)

Though, I would say the next 3 games after those 3 would be huger :D.

You're right about Denver. They will beat both those teams. But I could totally see Bengals dropping one to either Steelers and/or Ravens.

Oh well. Whatever happens... happens! No matter where we play, Pats will find a way to win!

Agree. Chances are slim that Denver loses either of their last two. One caveat, though, is at this time of year teams like Houston and Oakland see the Denver game as their Super Bowl. It's their last opportunity for some piece of 2013 success, their last opportunity to put their name in positive lights, by beating the "best" team in the AFC. Look, I don't think it will happen. These teams are apt to quit early in the game if Denver jumps out to quick, decent lead. Yet these teams probably come out of the gate fired up to the serious max. And if Denver slips up in the first half, Oakland/Denver could make the game a horse race simply due to them playing on that one game adrenaline 'high'.

As far as Cincy? Agree on that too. Cincy has played well the past few weeks but their track record of inconsistency over the past few years doesn't make me think they are going to win out. Pitt and Balt are two teams capable of winning and they are division games to boot. But I tell you what, if Cincy does win out finishing the season with 6 straight wins, they just made a strong statement they are serious contenders in the AFC (IMHO).

Denver's loss causing the #1 seed to be totally in the Patriots control is a damn good thing, no doubt it's worth thinking about. Yet the way the Patriots are struggling to find their identity/footing, the idea of a 3 game winning streak to wrap up the #1 is one seriously clouded vision. It would be one thing if the struggle against Cleveland was an exception........it wasn't. Both the offense and defense appear far from finding their groove/best football. IMHO our last 3 remaining games could be against the three worst teams, record wise, and I still wouldn't feel comfortable with our chances to win all 3.

If they lose one of their last 3 and end up with the #2 (I have faith Cincy will lose one), I'll be ecstatic with that IF during that span they show their coming into their best football. Because whether it's #1 or #2 or something else, if the team that played Cleveland (and in general lately) defines what we can expect from the remainder of December/January Patriots? That's a pretty bleak picture.....

Man, we need this 1st seed badly.

If you take a look at the last few years I could agree that teams that didn't get the bye week won the big one, clicking on the right time, building a momentum, OK.

The Pats recently had bad results playing the playoffs in Gillete so at a certain point I could see a road game with different eyes, BUT THIS YEAR? YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME.

This team has done too much so far, lets optimize our chances playing in our field.

We almost lost to the Browns? Ok, give them some credit, they played a BIG game and don't forget this Patriots team is still developing, it's an ongoing process that will go forward on the off season, let's just hope they can make some plays and bring another Lombardi to the house. The better chance now is having the bye week and playing HFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes