PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Newton vs Stidham: Who wins the QB Battle? (poll)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who will be the Patriots Starting QB in 2020?

• Newton

Votes: 110 73.3%
  • Stidham

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Newton will start, but Stidham will take over mid-season

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Stidham will start, but Newton will take over mid-season

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching the QB press conference. I must say that I liked how Stidham was handleling himself . He look like a really competitive guy and he looks he has trained hard this offseason to improve on his weaknesses. We will see but my thought is that Stidham will compete with Cam for sure and I don’t think it’s a given that Cam will win the job easily.

After watching the QB press conference. I must say that I liked how Stidham was handleling himself . He look like a really competitive guy and he looks he has trained hard this offseason to improve on his weaknesses.

Based on what ? Because he said that he worked hard ?

After watching the QB press conference. I must say that I liked how Stidham was handleling himself . He look like a really competitive guy and he looks he has trained hard this offseason to improve on his weaknesses. We will see but my thought is that Stidham will compete with Cam for sure and I don’t think it’s a given that Cam will win the job easily.

Stidham has gone through a lot of ups and downs in his life, both on and off the field. He's going to be a tough out for Cam, for sure...if he has that Brady mentality of not giving the job to anyone, then it's over for Cam

Judging from history, BB does not play musical QBs. BB makes a decision and rides that guy to the end. Furthermore, its easier to transition from the older veteran QB to the newer QB

Testavede replaced Kosar

Brady replaced Bledsoe

Stidham replaxces Newton

Newton the veteran will start and be replaced by the rookie Stidham. The reverse is awkward because Stidham is going to make mistakes and cost the Pats games because of his inexperience. Newton on the bench waiting for Stidhams fall places undo pressure and makes matters worse.

If Newton is going to be willing and able to play the style of football he played early in his career I am excited about the offense.
McDaniels will create a dangerous running game from the pistol with a qb who is willing to run, and run to any hole. He can also create throwing opportunities off of that running game. Playing from ahead this will be a dangerous offense. Playing from behind and in passing mode will be the weakness but newton brings the potential to escape the rush buy time for receivers and get a big play.
If we aren’t going to use newton as a running threat and revamp the offense to fit his running ability, then we should ride with Stidham.

Based on what ? Because he said that he worked hard ?

yeah. Sorry, I’m not a paranoid guy who thinks everyone is lying.

i thought his overall demeanor was good. In fact, I thought it was better than Cam’s. I thought he spoke very well also. I thought he looks to have the make up to be a great leader.

We will see at the end of training camp until then it’s all speculation.

Judging from history, BB does not play musical QBs. BB makes a decision and rides that guy to the end. Furthermore, its easier to transition from the older veteran QB to the newer QB

Testavede replaced Kosar

Brady replaced Bledsoe

Stidham replaxces Newton

Newton the veteran will start and be replaced by the rookie Stidham. The reverse is awkward because Stidham is going to make mistakes and cost the Pats games because of his inexperience. Newton on the bench waiting for Stidhams fall places undo pressure and makes matters worse.
If the consideration is what’s best for Stidham putting him out there with newton waiting in the wings if he fails is definitely best. Playing QB at a high level is all about handling pressure. Exposing young QBs to pressure tells you what you have, shielding them from it turns into QBs who can’t handle pressure.

If Newton is going to be willing and able to play the style of football he played early in his career I am excited about the offense.
McDaniels will create a dangerous running game from the pistol with a qb who is willing to run, and run to any hole. He can also create throwing opportunities off of that running game. Playing from ahead this will be a dangerous offense. Playing from behind and in passing mode will be the weakness but newton brings the potential to escape the rush buy time for receivers and get a big play.
If we aren’t going to use newton as a running threat and revamp the offense to fit his running ability, then we should ride with Stidham.

I don’t think the team will revamp the offense.
It’s gonna be mostly the same system we had with Brady with some new plays based on Cam abilities. I think in training camp they will run nothing specific to cam. They will add specific plays based on the starting QB they choose.

I don’t think the team will revamp the offense.
It’s gonna be mostly the same system we had with Brady with some new plays based on Cam abilities. I think in training camp they will run nothing specific to cam. They will add specific plays based on the starting QB they choose.
If we try to run the Brady offense with newton, Stidham will be the qb either at the start of the season or shortly after.

If the consideration is what’s best for Stidham putting him out there with newton waiting in the wings if he fails is definitely best. Playing QB at a high level is all about handling pressure. Exposing young QBs to pressure tells you what you have, shielding them from it turns into QBs who can’t handle pressure.

NO

Cam Newton did not sign here for peanuts to sit on the bench. Stidham being great is a pipe dream.

Cam gives the Pats the best chance to win NOW.

People ignore the fact that BB consulted with Norv Turner who was Newtons OC for half a season or so. He put Newton in a Pittsburgh type passing offense and Newton thrived. The tape is there. Newton does not have to be a running QB on the Pats.

..if he has that Brady mentality of not giving the job to anyone, then it's over for Cam

Having Brady's mentality won't change the fact that Newton when healthy is 3-4 tiers above Stidham. One has shown he is a franchise QB the other has to prove he can be better than Case Keenum or Andy Dalton.

****, about half of the players in the league have Brady's mentality. Stop acting like putting in extra work and being team-first is something special. It is the absolute minimum to be a great player.

Where does this Stidham derangement syndrome come from ? Or differently asked where is this bias against Cam Newton coming from ?

Last edited:
People ignore the fact that BB consulted with Norv Turner who was Newtons OC for half a season or so. He put Newton in a Pittsburgh type passing offense and Newton thrived. The tape is there. Newton does not have to be a running QB on the Pats.

So when is Antonio Brown getting resigned?:thumbsup:

i thought his overall demeanor was good. In fact, I thought it was better than Cam’s. I thought he spoke very well also. I thought he looks to have the make up to be a great leader.

Sounds more like you are judging people by the way your perceive their talk/language and project that bias over some abstract concept of "leadership" or "demeanor". The fact that you think this is indicative of anything more than what people sound like in a Zoom meeting is pretty entertaining though.

Having Brady's mentality won't change the fact that Newton when healthy is 3-4 tiers above Stidham. One has shown he is a franchise QB the other has to prove he can be better than Case Keenum or Andy Dalton.

****, about half of the players in the league have Brady's mentality. Stop acting like putting in extra work and being team-first is something special. It is the absolute minimum to be a great player.

Where does this Stidham derangement syndrome come from ? Or differently asked where is this bias against Cam Newton coming from ?

It's Boston

The implication of my post is if Stidham wins the job and has Brady's mentality, then he's not giving the job back to Cam. He's going to hold on to it.

And why the assumption that Cam will be miles better than Stidham? We haven't seen Stidham, and we haven't seen Cam in this offense.

NO

Cam Newton did not sign here for peanuts to sit on the bench. Stidham being great is a pipe dream.

Cam gives the Pats the best chance to win NOW.
Clearly my post was about what is best for Stidham. Not for Newton or the team specifically. It was a response to your comment that playing Stidham with newton on the bench would put pressure on Stidham. The best thing for evaluating and developing Stidham is to put him under pressure.

FYI Newton signed here for peanuts because no one else was offering even peanuts.
It was the only job on the table so implying he had demands and expectations is odd.

Last edited:
Newton has never thrived as a pocket passer. That’s fine, that’s his game, but pretending his skills are different than what they are is silly.
A coach talking to a former coach about a player he signs to the minimum contract certainly can’t be considered proof of anything more than he is worth the minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes