PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Never give this guy a job as an NFL scout (Nkeal Harry evaluation)

He’s been an utter failure for the most part, save for a handful of plays, but Harry WAS a beast in college, despite not being able to consistently separate and many analysts and hard-core college football fans thought that he was going to ball out for the Pats.

He obviously needs to take his share of the blame for his struggles but it is also unfair to Harry to ignore how his injuries (year 1) and a lost offseason (year 2) may have stunted his growth and how the mistakes, lack of production and public criticisms have likely destroyed his confidence. I also believe that Josh has failed to play to his strengths and to put him in a position to succeed on a consistent basis. At times, it is as if JMD never watched any of Harry’s college tape, because he rarely lets him use his size, strength and jumping ability to make plays.

Harry likely will never produce at the level that many expected when he was drafted but I’m also not ready to say with certainty that he won’t be able to make an impact in the NFL to some degree. The guy in that video montage DOES have the talent to be WR2/3, if he regains his confidence and is used properly. This KC TD (the blown call play) in 2019 is a perfect example

....nobody else on the roster in 2019 and 2020 could have made that play. There have been a few other plays like that which demonstrate big play skills and physicality that the Pats sorely need (ridiculous diving 36 yard catch versus the bangles in 2019 that was called back because of a full start by Edelman, for instance) but “a few” over two tears is obviously not yearly good enough.

I am seemingly in the minority here but I would rather hold on to Harry, let him continue to work on his release, footwork and route running (none were good last year but they WERE better than in 2019) and give him a full offseason and training camp before making a final judgement. I’d rather give him one more shot and cut him in September if he continues to struggle than trade him now for a day 3 pick who is unlikely to ever make an impact for the Pats.

************ this is THE most important thing an NFL WR needs to do. Need to be quick off the line. Full stop.

I hope Wal-Mart is hiring.....

This is fixable, though. So why haven’t they fixed it?

Got it. BANISH Josh McDaniels from the war room. NKeal Harry, Sony Michel, Sanu, Tim Tebow, Chad Jackson, Laurence Maroney.

You really need to get that broken record replaced.

Nonsense.

Spend ten minutes of your life and watch:

Then tell us how you justify "doesn't fight at all for the ball".

I did...Worst...Highlights...Ever.

Or watch just one play:

The 5' 9" cornerback gets bullied, not Harry.

He's a young guy and improved a lot in year 2, hopefully he keeps getting better in year 3.

Seriously, people gotta give up their butt hurt about draft position.

Once the guy is on your team it doesn't matter what his draft position was, it's sunk cost.

Blatant Offensive Pass Interference...That 5'9 CB had every right to be angry...Kneal was lucky it still counted...

Last edited:
Just spitballing here, but confidence seems to may be the real issue. As noted by others, he was expected to be a jumpball/contested catch guy, and not some guy who wins with great separation or speed off the line. While it hasn’t been a lot as far as volume, he has had plays here or there that highlight the former, and suggest he can get by without being great with the latter.

While top WRs sometimes earn a “diva” label, one thing many of the top guys have is confidence. Confidence that they’re the best guy on the field, even if they’re not. With Harry, it feels like he’s more of a take-things-as-they-come sort guy, and not out there trying to be a killer. He’s definitely a lot more confident with his, “I’ll show you” hype videos on social media.

That’s my take at least with very minimal knowledge of who he is as a person and his mindset..

With his size, I thought we would at least get Cordarelle Patterson-ish production.
Alas...

Harry would be better of as TE in the NFL, has written TE all over him (blocking TE with some possible upside as receiving TE)

There were quite a few reports ranking Harry quite highly. It didn't work out but it wasn't actually considered a terrible pick at the time.

"Harry's not physical enough!"

*Posts a clip of Harry being physical to create separation and catch a TD pass*

"That was clear OPI!"

Can't win with some folks, I'm afraid.
"Physical" is generally understood to be something done within the rules, not something that's a penalty. And that's true throughout the sporting world, not just football.

With his size, I thought we would at least get Cordarelle Patterson-ish production.
Alas...

When it comes to receptions/yards, that's exactly what we got so far. Harry's 2nd year was a mirror image of an average Patterson year (as WR).

I'm not a college scouting guy, but I always laugh when all of the "film breakdown" involves things that would never happen in the NFL. When you juke out 5 defenders, it's because the defenders are far from pro caliber. When you turn around the corner/safety, it's because that guy is in over his head.

Interesting thought experiment with Harry: I think almost everyone is in agreement that Harry isn't going to live up to first round billing. Most guys who do have shown something by year two, and he hasn't. The hope now (if we don't trade/cut him) is that he can still turn into a solid contributor in a lesser role. Again, not worth a first round pick, but eventually a WR3 and redzone target would be the high end.

My question: Can you think of examples like this, where a player was highly drafted, didn't live up to it, but then carved out a solid role WITH the team that drafted them? I feel like most "success" stories like this involve a change of scenery first (Kyle Van Noy is the first one that jumps to my mind). Can anyone think of any, Pats or otherwise?

I'm not a college scouting guy, but I always laugh when all of the "film breakdown" involves things that would never happen in the NFL. When you juke out 5 defenders, it's because the defenders are far from pro caliber. When you turn around the corner/safety, it's because that guy is in over his head.
Agree completely.

That's why these Blue/Gray/East/West Shrine , SEC, BCS games are good barometers to understand if a college player can do well in the pros.

These examples are honestly pathetic. 55% catch rate is league terrible and 9 yards a catch is terrible among wide receivers and tight ends. NKeal Harry is a total disaster bust. If you talk about sunk cost he should be cut if one ignores he was a 1st round pick. There is zero role to give him snaps now over Agholor, Meyers, Bourne, Smith, Henry, Harris, Edelman.
"These examples" are every catch/run from last season, no bias at all.

Looks like you don't want to try to justify "doesn't fight at all for the ball" and are back to being butt hurt about draft position which doesn't matter.

Right now he takes up exactly one roster spot, regardless if he was picked in the first round or sixth or UDFA or pulled off someone else's practice squad.

"Harry's not physical enough!"

*Posts a clip of Harry being physical to create separation and catch a TD pass*

"That was clear OPI!"

Can't win with some folks, I'm afraid.
Indeed.

Nonsense.

Spend ten minutes of your life and watch:

Then tell us how you justify "doesn't fight at all for the ball".

Or watch just one play:

The 5' 9" cornerback gets bullied, not Harry.

He's a young guy and improved a lot in year 2, hopefully he keeps getting better in year 3.

Seriously, people gotta give up their butt hurt about draft position.

Once the guy is on your team it doesn't matter what his draft position was, it's sunk cost.

Says who??? Sounds like a purely homer point of view. If people want to be objective and call a terrible draft pick what it is, there is nothing wrong with that. Some of us like to realistically/objectively discuss the team.

Says who??? Sounds like a purely homer point of view.
It's every run/catch from last season, no bias at all.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back