PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Need another tight end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he didn't. He whiffed on a few key blocks.
I see 3 plays with Allen blocking.

The first was a nice job.

The second was a draw where he dropped into pass pro and the DE never bought the pass fake. Hard to kill him on that.

The 3rd is a bad block. Show me a TE who can play a whole game without missing a block on a DE and I will be shocked.

I saw a bunch of good blocks from him.
A standard of 100% is unrealistic.

See below:

I see 3 plays with allen blocking.
The first was a nice job.
The second was a draw where he drop
into pass pro and the de never bought the pass fake. Hard to kill him on that.
The 3rd is a bad block. Show me a TE who can play a whole game without missing a block on a de and I will be shocked.
I saw a bunch of good blocks from him.
A standard of 100% is unrealistic.

It's inexcusable to whiff on run blocking when you're in the red zone. It's the equivalent of nullifying a touchdown, and he didn't whiff once, but twice.

Maybe that's good blocking to you, but it's not to me, and I know it's not to BB.

Doesn't mean he's been good at that job.

That's the thing everyone has a job to do but BB always add that he has to do the job well too. I wonder what his snap count is looking like. Has it been decreasing every game.

That's the thing everyone has a job to do but BB always add that he has to do the job well too. I wonder what his snap count is looking like. Has it been decreasing every game.
You have to consider Gronk's status if we are to look at Allen's playing time.

Week 1 vs Chiefs
Gronk: 78 snaps (96%)
Allen: 27 snaps (33%)

Week 2 at Saints
Gronk: 46 snaps (61%) [left in 3rd quarter w/groin injury]
Allen: 46 snaps (61%)

Week 3 vs Texans
Gronk: 63 snaps (98%)
Allen: 17 snaps (27%)

Week 4 vs Panthers
Gronk: 70 snaps (100%)
Allen: 9 snaps (13%)

Week 5 at Bucs
Gronk: DNP
Allen: 50 snaps (68%)

When Gronk is healthy Allen is averaging about 18 snaps per game. For perspective that is about the same number of snaps that James Develin or Phillip Dorsett get.

It's inexcusable to whiff on run blocking when you're in the red zone. It's the equivalent of nullifying a touchdown, and he didn't whiff once, but twice.

Maybe that's good blocking to you, but it's not to me, and I know it's not to BB.
Can I make my point any more clear?
Good run blocking does not mean 100% of the plays are good blocks.
The draw is a weak criticism if you understand what the guy blocking the de on a draw is supposed to do. It was a good play by the de.

And yes it is possible to find a some weak blocks by a guy who did a good job run blocking on the day.

As far as missing a block being "inexcusable" where does that standard come from?

You have to consider Gronk's status if we are to look at Allen's playing time.

. . .
When Gronk is healthy Allen is averaging about 18 snaps per game. For perspective that is about the same number of snaps that James Develin or Phillip Dorsett get.

Develin: I know he is a FB, but I think has shown better hands /route running (?) than Allen in past. Is he way too short/not athletic enough to try using in a man-we-don't-name (H-back) role even if he can't be a true TE?

Can I make my point any more clear?
Good run blocking does not mean 100% of the plays are good blocks.
The draw is a weak criticism if you understand what the guy blocking the de on a draw is supposed to do. It was a good play by the de.

And yes it is possible to find a some weak blocks by a guy who did a good job run blocking on the day.

As far as missing a block being "inexcusable" where does that standard come from?

You said you thought he blocked well; I don't agree with that and the game tape backs me up.

Move the goalposts all you want, it doesn't change anything from my end. Missing red zone blocks is taking points off the board, no matter how you put it.

You said you thought he blocked well; I don't agree with that and the game tape backs me up.

Move the goalposts all you want, it doesn't change anything from my end. Missing red zone blocks is taking points off the board, no matter how you put it.
Sure you showed one poor block and another that wasn't great.

I haven't moved the goalposts at all.
I am defining good blocking as not necessarily making a good block 100% of the time.
I havent watched every play but formed the impression he blocked well.
Showing me one bad play isn't going to change that.
I mean do you seriously think there is a TE in the NFL that doesn't have plays like that or you can't find any poor blocks on an entire game on?

I went through the first half. He stayed in to block 15 times and whiffed two or three times depending on how you look at it.

One of the ones you posted he had a DT blocked into him and the DE ran across the LOS. Not sure I'd count that as a whiff.

The second one was a bad block and led to a loss of yardage..

The third was during zone blocking and he missed his DE which lead to reduced yardage on the play.

The other 12 he looked ok.

I went through the first half. He stayed in to block 15 times and whiffed two or three times depending on how you look at it.

One of the ones you posted he had a DT blocked into him and the DE ran across the LOS. Not sure I'd count that as a whiff.

The second one was a bad block and led to a loss of yardage..

The third was during zone blocking and he missed his DE which lead to reduced yardage on the play.

The other 12 he looked ok.
12/15 (or 13/15 because I agree on the one you question)is good blocking in the NFL.

12/15 (or 13/15 because I agree on the one you question)is good blocking in the NFL.

Well he had a better second half. A couple of great blocks that cleared out some running lanes.

12/13 or 12/14 and a decent check release. Not sure if a check release counts.

Sure you showed one poor block and another that wasn't great.

I haven't moved the goalposts at all.
I am defining good blocking as not necessarily making a good block 100% of the time.
I havent watched every play but formed the impression he blocked well.
Showing me one bad play isn't going to change that.
I mean do you seriously think there is a TE in the NFL that doesn't have plays like that or you can't find any poor blocks on an entire game on?

A great blocking TE makes a great block when one is absolutely needed. This is like saying a WR had a great game because he caught 8 out of 10 passes, even if one was a drop in the end zone that would have resulted in a touchdown.

IMO, that wipes out anything else you do in a game, if you had a key drop or missed a key block that could have changed the course of a game.

A great blocking TE makes a great block when one is absolutely needed. This is like saying a WR had a great game because he caught 8 out of 10 passes, even if one was a drop in the end zone that would have resulted in a touchdown.

IMO, that wipes out anything else you do in a game, if you had a key drop or missed a key block that could have changed the course of a game.
Well we disagree.
Blocks are missed all the time in the red zone otherwise it would be easy to score.
If ever missing a block in the red zone is a horrific thing then our defensive guts getting blocked in the red zone is normal and we should expect it?

I think your standard is poor.

And missing a block is not apples to apples with dropping a pass. Not even close. One occurs pretty frequently the other is much more rare.

After Gronk we don’t have anyone that can catch a ball. Need another tight end, what’s next year draft class like as far as tight ends go? Any value in the 2nd or 3rd round?

This guy looks promising but I don't think he lasts until 2nd or 3rd round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back