PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE trades for WR/KR Patterson !

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we pick up a one trick pony who's one trick is quickly becoming obsolete?

Seems odd

Still need an OT?
DW Toys
Yes although I don't think Veldheer is worth anything. I'd prefer they re-sign Waddle, sign Greg Robinson and let Scar coach them up to play LT.

He better do more than return kicks..Pats ran out just 28 last year..$3m for that????

I dont think that replacing the only young player with elite traits with a old veteran is exactly the right thing to do. Especially with the rest of your crew (Hogan and Edelman) also both being past 30.

That is assuming the Pats actually plan to extend Cooks.

Its all based on the premise that Cooks will not be resigned.

re: Acquiring an older player. My thought process on Fitzy was getting a very good WR for a year on the relative cheap. I am also of the opinion the Cards would trade Fitzy AND draft picks for Cooks.

He better do more than return kicks..Pats ran out just 28 last year..$3m for that????
Maybe they only returned 28 because they didn't anybody like CP who could get them to the 25 or beyond on a consistent basis. Averaging 30 yards per return means taking it 5 yards deep, he will ( on average) get to the 25 yard line...or better...

Patterson was signed to return kickoffs, he is currently ranked #1 among active players in kickoffs returned for a TD, he has made two Pro Bowls and three All Pro teams as a returner. He replaces Dion in the return game and is actually an upgrade.

But he is also one of the better gunners in the league so he replaces a loss of Slater who was 33 and ready to go.

This was a solid move which can be made substantially better by extending him and shrinking his cap hit, I'm sure he wants the added security of some years.

There's no downside to this, the upside is what he provides on offense in terms of rushes and gadget plays as well as the potential to pick up and thrive in our unique offensive system. Just because he was limited in another system does not preclude him from thriving in ours.

Patterson was signed to return kickoffs, he is currently ranked #1 among active players in kickoffs returned for a TD, he has made two Pro Bowls and three All Pro teams as a returner. He replaces Dion in the return game and is actually an upgrade.

But he is also one of the better gunners in the league so he replaces a loss of Slater who was 33 and ready to go.

This was a solid move which can be made substantially better by extending him and shrinking his cap hit, I'm sure he wants the added security of some years.

There's no downside to this, the upside is what he provides on offense in terms of rushes and gadget plays as well as the potential to pick up and thrive in our unique offensive system. Just because he was limited in another system does not preclude him from thriving in ours.
1215048252_1.jpg
"Gen. Peterson -- Patterson!"

So, you want to put a player on the offense who will just be a decoy and if he has to run a route, may end up running the wrong route or a poor route, thus screwing up the combination routes the Patriots often run?

I liked him coming out of college, but nothing I've seen from him makes him anything more than a kick return and gadget guy. Which, I think we can all agree. The Patriots offense runs best when they just run their offense and don't do anything fancy.

Im not sure why everything has to be black and white. Either he’s great or he’s crap. Why?

There’s so many factors to consider.

This whole trade Cooks thing is laughable. You don’t trade an elite 24 year old talent who’s the future of our wide receivers

Last edited:
I think Patterson will get an early limited role on the offense, perhaps a formation or two. I do quite like the idea of throwing a fake screen to Patterson followed by a bomb to Cooks as the defense cheats up to guard Patterson. A pass-pass option if you will.

This whole trade Cooks thing is laughable. You don’t trade an elite 24 year old talent whose the future of our wide receivers

No. I’d want cooks over dez Bryant, OBJ etc. his talent level might not quite be elite but if not elite, close to it and he Is not a camera obsessed freak

Im not sure why everything has to be black and white. Either he’s great or he’s crap. Why?

There’s so many factors to consider.

Well sure, it is a wait and see approach. But, I like putting my opinion out there and let' see him prove me wrong or worse, prove me right.

Patterson doesn’t have a remotely similar skill set to Cooks unless we’re having them run the 40. Patterson’s career production is extremely limited beyond 10 yards, much less 20 or 30. I’m sure they’ll find an offensive role for him, but it’s going to be more handoffs and screens than actually running routes down the field. I do wonder if we’ll see more of these end-around playaction plays. That was a notable part of the offense back when they had Brandon Tate as a similar kind of player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back