PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE trades for WR/KR Patterson !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make him in to John stallworth type of reciever

4. Just another thought to think about. Given the fact we only dropped about 5-1o spots at the end of the draft to trade for him, if he doesn't show he can to more than KO returns, I'm sure Bill won't lose a second's sleep cutting him before the season starts...
Like & agree with most of the post, except that we will drop more than 5-10 spots, probably a whole lot more than that.

Like & agree with most of the post, except that we will drop more than 5-10 spots, probably a whole lot more than that.
Raiders moved up from pick 210 (6th round) to 159 (5th round).

Bethel Johnson 2.0
Maybe. Maybe not.

Through the same comparable 4 year NFL career, Patterson has a total of 18 touchdowns (5 returns, 7 receiving, 6 rushing), and Johnson had 6 (2 returns, 4 receiving).

Obviously, that’s 3x the production, so there’s reason for some optimism as a KOR and gadget play guy. We needed a KOR guy at the very least, and this one has experience and some level of success.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Through the same comparable 4 year NFL career, Patterson has a total of 18 touchdowns (5 returns, 7 receiving, 6 rushing), and Johnson had 6 (2 returns, 4 receiving).

Obviously, that’s 3x the production, so there’s reason for some optimism as a KOR and gadget play guy. We needed a KOR guy at the very least, and this one has experience and some level of success.

0:34

Remember this?

www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200311300clt.htm

Last edited:

From a 5th-round pick that the Pats didn't even have until 10 days ago.

He better do more than return kicks..Pats ran out just 28 last year..$3m for that????

Yeah, Patterson may need to contribute a bit more than being an ST gunner and returning kicks.

OTOH, the Pats returned 28 kicks in 2017 for a 22.2-yd average. Patterson has averaged 30.6 returns a season for a 30.2-yd average. That's an average increase of 8 yards of FP per KR - nearly a first down.

From a 5th-round pick that the Pats didn't even have until 10 days ago.

The only angle that is annoying about the trade is his salary (which is non-guaranteed so he can be gone at any point).

I dont think the difference between #159 and #210 is as big as getting a good returner and potentially great gunner. To me personally everything after the end of the fourth round becomes more or less low, low, low percentage territory that is closer to priority UDFAs than anything else.

The only angle that is annoying about the trade is his salary (which is non-guaranteed so he can be gone at any point).

I dont think the difference between #159 and #210 is as big as getting a good returner and potentially great gunner. To me personally everything after the end of the fourth round becomes more or less low, low, low percentage territory that is closer to priority UDFAs than anything else.

To me, it's not really the difference between the #159 and #210. In the 2018 draft, before embarking on these trades, after the #136 (4th), the Pats had ..

No 5th-rounder
#205 (6th)
No 7th-rounder

They now have ...

No 5th-rounder
#210 (6th) from OAK
#219 (7th) from CLE

and they also have...

Danny Shelton
Jason McCourty
Cordarelle Patterson

... all for the cost of what's likely to be only one of three late 3rd-rounders in the 2019 draft.

Looked at another way, the Pats have turned one future late-3rd into three players (who have a total 2018 cap hit of just over $8M), and traded the #205 for the #210 and #219.

Why is the salary annoying? If he is a complete disaster and cut there is zero cap residue

Why is the salary annoying? If he is a complete disaster and cut there is zero cap residue

Because I almost feel like he has to contribute a bit more than just ST to justify the salary. If he was closer to a 2m contract I would be totally fine with him being a returner + gunner. But what do you do now if he does a good job on ST but you can't seem to find a natural place for him on offense.. even for only 5-8 snaps.

I understand that he can be cut without repercussions. I wrote that in my post as well.

Because I almost feel like he has to contribute a bit more than just ST to justify the salary. If he was closer to a 2m contract I would be totally fine with him being a returner + gunner. But what do you do now if he does a good job on ST but you can't seem to find a natural place for him on offense.. even for only 5-8 snaps.

I understand that he can be cut without repercussions. I wrote that in my post as well.

My guess is that this is just the new norm for ST contracts with a rising salary cap.

Yes- he has to contribute in order to justify the salary. That is the way for everyone.

I think in BBs mind hes getting an elite KR, very, very good gunner and someone who will be the WR5 or even a WR4 in case of an injury (with Cooks, Gronk and JE11 being the top 3 targets). Even if he catches 20 balls for 200 yds and a TD and runs the ball 10 times thats is well worth it.

Look at it this way. If BB was willing to pay Slater $2.8m in 2012 and $3.6m in 2014 then Cord's 1 year deal of $3m is very reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes