PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE trades for WR/KR Patterson !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those gadget plays were run with regular offensive personnel. Patterson will likely never be in the regular offense.

I agree, he will be an awesome kick returner, but how much is the best kick returner in the league worth? Especially when it is so easy to nullify the KR by kicking the ball out of the end zone.

He also seems to be a pretty good gunner on punt coverage. So the question will be, can he contribute enough as a KR and gunner (or can he be used on other ST's as well), to justify a spot as the 5th WR, where he could also be used as an emergency offensive player. Not many teams have 5th WR that don't have a major flaw in their game, otherwise they would be more regular contributors.

Also, while KR's CAN be nullified with touchbacks, there are still seemingly enough of them that he averaged 1 or 2 per game thus far in his career, so it's not like it's nothing.

Emanuel Sanders learned to catch the ball remember the drop issues he had?

My issue with Corderelle and catching is less about drops specifically and more about how he seems to be a "bodycatcher".

I saw one touchdown in Minnesota where he makes a beautiful hand catch and has the awareness to get both feed down in the end zone it was pretty impressive.
He can be coached up but you can't coach his speed and aggressive running style that's wanting to make a play everyone the ball touches his hands.

All this talking and arguing about whether the guy plays receiver. It’s a waste of time. He’s going to come in and compete. If he makes the team, he will contribute on ST’s and make our receiving core stronger with him being an actual receiver vs Slater who really was only a ST’s Guy. I don’t want to see Slater go, but if I had to choose between a guy like Slater, or Patterson, i go Patterson as he provides the greatest amount of value. Again, I could care less if he sees the field as a receiver, but if he does, I’d be more comfortable than seeing Slater in there.

He's a great kick returner and ****ty receiver. Don't mind grabbing him for nothing.

We'll see. There is more hope as a WR. He's younger than Hogan Britt and Jules:

Chris Hogans last couple years in receptions 39, 34 (missed some time). That's 73 Catches

Last year 2016 in MN CP had 52 receptions and this year 31 with a new regime on a bad Team that should have been better. That's 83 catches

Malcom Mitchell had 32 catches and missed two games plus the whole of last season.

Hogan missed seven games and Jules the whole season.

Are we underestimating this kid might be on the rise?

BB looks at players who sting the Pats. He had 4 catches against us in 2017 game.

He has not missed a game in 5 years. No Pats WR can say that except Cooks in 2017.

Hogan, Mitchell, Britt, Cooks nor Dorsett play ST.

Last few years when we needed a deep one we had Slater in there at times. I think I prefer this kid.

I saw this kid in the backfield in a game. He was gone when he hit the line.

Not on my to-do list as far as roster grabs but I guess BB saw enough.

He also becomes or second biggest WR. 4.37 speed.

Interesting. Watch this:

Did not return many punts but neither did Lewis. Maybe they groom him to do that.

DW Toys

P.S. Is there a deal on the table for Cooks?

Last edited:
He's been in the league for five seasons. He is who he is.

Agree. I remember him being explosive at UT then being labeled as lazy with Minnesota.

Meanwhile, the dumpster fire that is the defense continues to burn.

Jason Mcourty?

Elite CB paired with an Elite S. Just sayin

Like Welka and Dola.

Huh? By the end of their fifth season in the league, both of these players had multiple seasons that were better than Patterson's best year. Welker already had a 112 catch season to his name. Amendola had an 85 catch season his second year in the league. And they were undrafted free agents, not 1st rounders given every chance possible to make something of themselves.

He also seems to be a pretty good gunner on punt coverage. So the question will be, can he contribute enough as a KR and gunner (or can he be used on other ST's as well), to justify a spot as the 5th WR, where he could also be used as an emergency offensive player. Not many teams have 5th WR that don't have a major flaw in their game, otherwise they would be more regular contributors.

Also, while KR's CAN be nullified with touchbacks, there are still seemingly enough of them that he averaged 1 or 2 per game thus far in his career, so it's not like it's nothing.
Gunner? Have you seen him play there? Pro football reference has him with 0 career tackles.

Gunner? Have you seen him play there? Pro football reference has him with 0 career tackles.

Somewhere in this thread are a few videos of him gunning on punt coverage for the Raiders. I forget what post, but it's here.

He's been in the league for five seasons. He is who he is.
Not always, sometimes a guy is misused or takes time to blossom or is stuck behind others. Look at Mike Vrabel's stats for this first four years in Pittsburgh (and I'm not comparing CP to Vrabel) he had 30 total tackles and and well more than that every year with the Pats...

They must have a mistake. There are several videos in this thread already that show him playing gunner and making the tackle. Looks very similar to Slater: beats the double team, first one to the returner, tackles for no gain, etc.

Those gadget plays were run with regular offensive personnel. Patterson will likely never be in the regular offense.

I agree, he will be an awesome kick returner, but how much is the best kick returner in the league worth? Especially when it is so easy to nullify the KR by kicking the ball out of the end zone.

Not every kicker can kick the ball to or through the back of the EZ. Even if they could, and chose to on every kick because of Patterson being back there, that pretty much guarantees that the Pats need only 75 yards on every possession.

Anyway, Patterson doesn't get 30 returns a season with a 30+ yard/return average without taking a bunch out of the EZ and getting at least as far as the 25 nearly all the time. Hidden yardage.

I just saw a report that Malcolm Mitchell has just heen released.

That sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye