PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nate Solder's decline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt he's declined that much, if at all. Coaching, play calling, QB could all explain the difference.

I think that Solder was over-rated when he played for us. He certainly isn't worth the kind of compensation he is being paid (at least he isn't worth it to us).
=====
EXTEND BROWN!

I think that Solder was over-rated when he played for us. He certainly isn't worth the kind of compensation he is being paid (at least he isn't worth it to us).
=====
EXTEND BROWN!
He was always just an average left tackle. Giants overpaid because starting caliber tackles rarely become available in free agency and their OL is such a mess they felt like they needed to do something.

Last night he was constantly bull-rushed and simply pushed back in the pocket. It was odd, since in NE he was rarely overpowered like that. Some beat him with great speed (e.g. Cam Wake) but rarely was he just manhandled over and over.

Makes me feel like we should sniff on a certain 1st rounder Giants just cut.
I have to think its coaching and play calling that made him a bust so far.

No... he's just absolute garbage.

No no no! He’s awful

I doubt he's declined that much, if at all. Coaching, play calling, QB could all explain the difference.

The strip sack on their goal line was all on him. But for the entire game he was constantly losing matchups.

thought about this too. not sure though.

Qb play has a lot to do with it. Brady makes the OLs job much easier, Eli not so much.

Eli is like the emperor with no clothes. It’s unbelievable, like a cult, how far the Giants go try to hide the facts he absolutely sucks. I already said this would happen (too lazy to search for old posts now) exactly as it has, when Solder was signed. He’d quickly be a new scapegoat for Eli. Last year Eli had an average amount of pressures per snap, even despite that he holds the ball for as long as any QB in football. That tells me the Giants line is more than adequate; they seem to block just fine for Barkley too. It’s always everyone else’s fault for the fraud who will become the worst Hall of Fame inductee in any major sport. He should the accolades of 2 SB MVPs and that should be enough. The guy has never been a top-5 QB and very rarely considered top-10. He’s **** lucky to have two rings. Rewarding him with a gold jacket is just doubling down on his luck. Here’s the only fact you need to know: Eli has won a playoff game in just two seasons (both were luck fests that ended up in SB wins behind a shutdown defense and below average offense and required miracles and lucky bounces galore.). He has never even won a playoff game outside of those runs. Two rings and MVPs are way more than sufficient for his legacy. How can he be a Hall of Fame QB with a .500 record and well below average QB stats? His longevity is nothing special in today’s NFL. Never seen a player whose reputation is this much greater than his actual level of play. He is a dropped interception and lucky bounce fumble away from being a giant disappointment, yet he’s going to Canton. WTF.

McAdoo may have been a very bad coach, but he was right about Eli. His blasphemous decision to bench him was essentially sending up a flare for the world to see that Eli sucks and he was tired of everyone else taking the blame for Mr. Awww Shucks.

Last edited:
Solder had better coaching (from all three major players, Belichick, McDaniels, and Scarnecchia), and better QB play/QB preparedness. It wouldn't be the first time a guy gets his first big contract and takes a step back, but he's also in a markedly worse situation there. Hard to really compare his performance because of that.

I don't think Reimer is a very good analyst. Even on the strip sack, Manning had room to step up, but he didn't. Solder had some ups and downs, but overall I didn't think he had an egregious night -- certainly not as bad as Flowers used to show.

I think Solder is fine. It was just a combination of a bad game (as we have seen here before), a QB holding the ball too long, and a dominant DL (possibly the NFL's best, but definitely the most deep one in the NFL).

Eli is like the emperor with no clothes. It’s unbelievable, like a cult, how far the Giants go try to hide the facts he absolutely sucks. I already said this would happen (too lazy to search for old posts now) exactly as it has, when Solder was signed. He’d quickly be a new scapegoat for Eli. Last year Eli had an average amount of pressures per snap, even despite that he holds the ball for as long as any QB in football. That tells me the Giants line is more than adequate; they seem to block just fine for Barkley too. It’s always everyone else’s fault for the fraud who will become the worst Hall of Fame inductee in any major sport. He should the accolades of 2 SB MVPs and that should be enough. The guy has never been a top-5 QB and very rarely considered top-10. He’s **** lucky to have two rings. Rewarding him with a gold jacket is just doubling down on his luck. Here’s the only fact you need to know: Eli has won a playoff game in just two seasons (both were luck fests that ended up in SB wins behind a shutdown defense and below average offense and required miracles and lucky bounces galore.). He has never even won a playoff game outside of those runs. Two rings and MVPs are way more than sufficient for his legacy. How can he be a Hall of Fame QB with a .500 record and well below average QB stats? His longevity is nothing special in today’s NFL. Never seen a player whose reputation is this much greater than his actual level of play. He is a dropped interception and lucky bounce fumble away from being a giant disappointment, yet he’s going to Canton. WTF.

McAdoo may have been a very bad coach, but he was right about Eli. His blasphemous decision to bench him was essentially sending up a flare for the world to see that Eli sucks and he was tired of everyone else taking the blame for Mr. Awww Shucks.

Sucks that Buddy and the Vagiants will always a finger in our history.

No need to s*** on Solder. He got paid what he wanted. Can’t fault him for that.

Brown has been a fine replacement but not as good as I expected.

Solder is what some of us here have been saying he is, which is an average/above average LT. He's not the awesome player others here were insisting he was. As some of us keep pointing out, year after year, to those who overrate the players here, year after year, Brady and the coaching make up for lesser talent outside of the QB position, until you reach a critical mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News