PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nate Solder's decline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night he was constantly bull-rushed and simply pushed back in the pocket. It was odd, since in NE he was rarely overpowered like that. Some beat him with great speed (e.g. Cam Wake) but rarely was he just manhandled over and over.
He has lost some power and quickness... (?)

No need to s*** on Solder. He got paid what he wanted. Can’t fault him for that.

Brown has been a fine replacement but not as good as I expected.

Who is
s*** on Solder
??? Did you read the article?
Just about everyone that has posted in this thread has written factually and fairly.

4 year $38.4 M guaranteed. If ever a player had a good reason to go for the 'gold' in free agency, it was Nate. He gave the PATS his all during his tenure, and was an exemplary teammate, community participant, and family man.

Given his family situation and his son's medical needs now and in the future, he made the decision that 99% of fathers would make, family first.

As for his current situation, there are just too many variables that could be affecting his play, including a nagging injury, and so many other factors as mentioned by others in this thread.

As such, I'm not going to pile on, nor gloat over his and the Giants' shortcomings, but instead applaud Nate for his earlier contributions to the Patriots and us fans, and offer my best wishes for him on the field as well as off the field.

NE....Quick strike offense
NYG......downfield offense
Brady....intelligent pocket presence
Ellie......dope
Solder....overpaid turnstile in the first year of his twilight cashgrab

Did the Giants put any real thought into the Solder signing?

Last edited:
Who is ??? Did you read the article?
Just about everyone that has posted in this thread has written factually and fairly.
I didn’t read the article. Maybe I misunderstood the thread and overreacted saying he’s been “s*** on”. However, the Pats were extremely lucky Brown was available in a trade.

great Pat . good man . but I was never more relieved this offseason than when NYG stepped up to pay the price..

That strip fumble is E-LIE's fault. E-LIE should have stepped up into the pocket. Brady would have.

Brady would have stepped up and avoided the sack. That said Nate always had a problem with speed rushers. I'm glad for him that as an above average LT he got top dog money.

I didn’t read the article. Maybe I misunderstood the thread and overreacted saying he’s been “s*** on”. However, the Pats were extremely lucky Brown was available in a trade.

He has struggled but as some have already posted there are mitigating circumstances such as the QB and the coaching staff.

I was absolutely shocked the Patriots offered Solder as much as they did and relieved that the Giants went completely batsh1t crazy. Solid player who sometimes plays very well, but nowhere near the Joe Thomas/Tyron Smith level deserving of that contract. He’s probably at absolute best somewhere around #8-10 in the league at his position, and likely closer to the middle, and yet he’s the highest paid. Patriots must have had some extreme offset language and a very low guaranteed amount relative to the total.

The following players took big contracts and left NE in free agency. No idea why teams would outbid Belichick for his players and not realize it’s almost always a bad move. Some mid-level FA role players work out but the big money signings almost never do. I would have thought the Revis fiasco would have permanently etched “DO NOT PAY MORE THAN BILL WOULD” into the brains of every GM in football.

Amendola - Worth pennies on the dollar of his contract.
Lewis - Way, way down in rushing average (5.0 to 3.2). Way down in yards per target.
Butler - Rated as worst CB in NFL by PFF.
Solder - Not even sure if he’s declined; just never was an elite player and Eli even makes the mascot worse. Laughable contract.

The following players took big contracts and left NE in free agency. No idea why teams would outbid Belichick for his players and not realize it’s almost always a bad move. Some mid-level FA role players work out but the big money signings almost never do. I would have thought the Revis fiasco would have permanently etched “DO NOT PAY MORE THAN BILL WOULD” into the brains of every GM in football.

Lewis - Way, way down in rushing average (5.0 to 3.2). Way down in yards per target.
Solder - Not even sure if he’s declined; just never was an elite player and Eli even makes the mascot worse. Laughable contract.
All of them are good kids but like you said we were outbid for them. They are all good but not great players.

I don't think Solder is any worse, I just don't think he was ever as good as some people said he was. The kind of bad plays that were highlighted last night aren't a new development, he was prone to them here too. He's basically an average starting LT. Which makes him a good player, the 12th-15th best left tackle in the league is a great thing to have when there are only 20 or so guys that can play left tackle credibly in the first place. Well, maybe not so great when you just gave him the biggest OL contract in NFL history, but other than that he's good to have.

I don't think any of these guys are worse than they were last year. But they're all playing in significantly worse situations now than they were last year. Solder and Butler were always prone to the kinds of plays that they're getting negative attention for now, Amendola is a slot receiver playing for a QB who can't make good use of him, and Lewis is playing in one of the worst rushing offenses in the league. Henry isn't doing any better in the ground game, and Mariota isn't exactly the QB you want to hit your RBs in stride coming out of the backfield.

Eli is like the emperor with no clothes. It’s unbelievable, like a cult, how far the Giants go try to hide the facts he absolutely sucks. I already said this would happen (too lazy to search for old posts now) exactly as it has, when Solder was signed. He’d quickly be a new scapegoat for Eli. Last year Eli had an average amount of pressures per snap, even despite that he holds the ball for as long as any QB in football. That tells me the Giants line is more than adequate; they seem to block just fine for Barkley too. It’s always everyone else’s fault for the fraud who will become the worst Hall of Fame inductee in any major sport. He should the accolades of 2 SB MVPs and that should be enough. The guy has never been a top-5 QB and very rarely considered top-10. He’s **** lucky to have two rings. Rewarding him with a gold jacket is just doubling down on his luck. Here’s the only fact you need to know: Eli has won a playoff game in just two seasons (both were luck fests that ended up in SB wins behind a shutdown defense and below average offense and required miracles and lucky bounces galore.). He has never even won a playoff game outside of those runs. Two rings and MVPs are way more than sufficient for his legacy. How can he be a Hall of Fame QB with a .500 record and well below average QB stats? His longevity is nothing special in today’s NFL. Never seen a player whose reputation is this much greater than his actual level of play. He is a dropped interception and lucky bounce fumble away from being a giant disappointment, yet he’s going to Canton. WTF.

McAdoo may have been a very bad coach, but he was right about Eli. His blasphemous decision to bench him was essentially sending up a flare for the world to see that Eli sucks and he was tired of everyone else taking the blame for Mr. Awww Shucks.

Yea its incredible how badly he sucks... He has OBJ (1st rounder), Sterling Shepard (1st rounder), Barkley (1st rounder), that new offensive lineman, Evan Engram was a 1st round TE

Same as his big forehead older brother PEDton Manning... invest a stupid amount of draft capital into surrounding him with talent and blame everyone else when things dont work out. Manning was gifted a 2nd SB ring by the Denver defense... Geno Smith could have lead the Broncos to a SB that year

Its just this huge effort to glorify the Manning's and cover up any of their deficiencies or outright CRIMINAL activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes