PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nate Solder's decline

Status
Not open for further replies.
When your team sucks and losing is consistent? The difference between good and so-so. sometimes, is just a dollop of extra effort/motivation that winning can be the impetus to produce.

Soooo many years of messed up knees/legs and a generally F'd up body at least had the commensurate reward of victory. Maybe there is some L-shock in play with Solder.

Solder is very average, and there's a big jump from average to good as an NFL tackle. Also doesn't help that his quarterback is useless and the rest of the offensive line is deplorable.

Lord Dante - nuff said

Amazing how an average-to-below-average LT turns into hot garbage once he's not around Dante Scarnecchia.
I don't feel that Solder was merely an average/below-average LT for us; he just wasn't as great as some of us wanted to believe, and wanted others to believe, that he was.

The following players took big contracts and left NE in free agency. No idea why teams would outbid Belichick for his players and not realize it’s almost always a bad move. Some mid-level FA role players work out but the big money signings almost never do. I would have thought the Revis fiasco would have permanently etched “DO NOT PAY MORE THAN BILL WOULD” into the brains of every GM in football.

Amendola - Worth pennies on the dollar of his contract.
Lewis - Way, way down in rushing average (5.0 to 3.2). Way down in yards per target.
Butler - Rated as worst CB in NFL by PFF.
Solder - Not even sure if he’s declined; just never was an elite player and Eli even makes the mascot worse. Laughable contract.
It's really not that any of them have seen their football skills decline; it's that they're no longer playing with the GOAT...and in Butler's case, I'm going to wait until probably Thanksgiving before I pass judgement. I wonder if he's drawing each opponent's best WR; if so, then maybe some of his ineffectiveness can at least be understandable.

Last edited:
Nate was fine here in the system. Smart QB and coaches put him in a position to succeed. His talent is slightly above average and he got the most out if it.

He clearly is not playing well there because of the reasons above. His support system is not as good.

With that said I'm glad he got the $ so his family will always be able to afford the medical care his son needs

To put the Giants o-line in perspective, Jon Halapio was their opening day center. The same Jon Halapio who we drafted and was cut after 10 minutes his rookie year and I don’t believe the team ever made moves to retain him. And Halapio got injured, so their center is now someone who’s worse than him. Their right tackle is a backup who supplanted megabust Flowers. But good thing they have #1 picks at every skill position.

giants offense has no innovation, imagination, ect. Can't explain how amateur it is.

When BB says there's no other QB he'd rather have, he knows why. Brady makes everyone around him better. Nate is just the latest example. Brady's ability to diagnose a D, his quick release and good pocket presence are an OL's best friend...and a great way for an OL to command top dollar in FA, apparently.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes