PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nate Solder and our LT conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffins

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So Rich Hill just wrote that Nate Solder will likely get $13m per year 4 year contract in FA and that's why he's unwilling to extend with the Pats at the $10m ish per year he's currently at.

Nate Solder and Tony Garcia: The 2018 free agent offensive tackles are atrocious

The Tackle market is baffling. Solder was given top 5 tackle $ with the 2 year extension at $20m and I thought that was a stretch. He's good but not top 5 in league. There's a reason he's never been to the Pro-Bowl or 1st or 2nd Team All-Pro. And apparently now he's set to become highest paid Tackle in the league in 2018.

Clearly the Pats won't match that, especially after Solder's performance in the SuperBowl against Old Man Freeney.

Meanwhile Fleming needs to make the jump Cannon managed to do to be serviceable. And recent evidence against Mercillus in the joint practices indicates he won't be able to. Waddle is JAG.

So clearly the Pats FO anticipated this and put 2 of our 4 draft picks on Tackles, but unfortunately neither has managed to take reps in Solder's absence due to injuries etc. So what are our options for 2018 for Tackle. Solder's extension already included a "no franchise tag" clause. Should we just extend Solder even if it makes him highest paid Tackle in the league?

Some would argue that his performance vs near 37 year old Freeney (who is still a FA) was fine lol. Solder is def a good player but prone to some real bad games. Really pulled it together for that 2014 SB run.

I think the biggest concern with him is he might not have that many years left with his concussion issues, which is a shame because he seems like a great guy. Hopefully Antonio Garcia develops quickly and can be the guy in a year or two.

I would say that Solder is a pretty good left tackle in this league...Not elite but not horrible either. Certainly better than Flemming or Waddle. At this point it's been disappointing that we haven't seen more of Garcia, whether it's injury related or because he's just not ready yet, I'm not sure.

The one thing I'm certain about is I wouldn't want to go into the season looking at Flemming or Waddle at LT.

Hope we see more of Garcia moving forward.

I think his money is on par with the player he is and the importance of the position. He is a 10m ish guy heading into his 30's. I'm not sure he's gonna get 13 per year. The timing may favor him as there won't be other big names available but still I think that's too much.

Hill is basing his projections on the assumption that Solder wants to continue playing after the end of this season. If his assumption is correct, then his projections don't seem unreasonable. If not, his projections are moot.

At some point, their best option might just be to move Cannon over. They were willing to put "bad" Cannon at left tackle until the toe injury affected his ability to move that direction, so I'm sure they aren't completely opposed to putting "good" Cannon there. If he could be an above average LT on that contract, he would be an incredible bargain.

At some point, their best option might just be to move Cannon over. They were willing to put "bad" Cannon at left tackle until the toe injury affected his ability to move that direction, so I'm sure they aren't completely opposed to putting "good" Cannon there. If he could be an above average LT on that contract, he would be an incredible bargain.
It could happen, obviously, but usually LTs must be quicker instead of stronger. Cannon and Mason make a great running lane because of that.

I'm a beliver of proficiency, too. I'd rather have a top 5 RT and a mediocre Lt than two decent tackles.

So Rich Hill just wrote that Nate Solder will likely get $13m per year 4 year contract in FA and that's why he's unwilling to extend with the Pats at the $10m ish per year he's currently at.

Nate Solder and Tony Garcia: The 2018 free agent offensive tackles are atrocious

The Tackle market is baffling. Solder was given top 5 tackle $ with the 2 year extension at $20m and I thought that was a stretch. He's good but not top 5 in league. There's a reason he's never been to the Pro-Bowl or 1st or 2nd Team All-Pro. And apparently now he's set to become highest paid Tackle in the league in 2018.

Clearly the Pats won't match that, especially after Solder's performance in the SuperBowl against Old Man Freeney.

Meanwhile Fleming needs to make the jump Cannon managed to do to be serviceable. And recent evidence against Mercillus in the joint practices indicates he won't be able to. Waddle is JAG.

So clearly the Pats FO anticipated this and put 2 of our 4 draft picks on Tackles, but unfortunately neither has managed to take reps in Solder's absence due to injuries etc. So what are our options for 2018 for Tackle. Solder's extension already included a "no franchise tag" clause. Should we just extend Solder even if it makes him highest paid Tackle in the league?

Given what Reiss has written in the past about Solder it is not even clear if he will continue playing football beyond his contract. And given what he and his family has been going through since 2014 I am not surprised.

On your last point I just wanna add that there is no way anybody seriously expected that any of the tackles taken in the draft would be contributors this season. Right ? Because that is bonkers..

Both will need a year or two to develop with Garcia maybe able to be out swing tackle next year if things progress well. McDermott is a total project and by no means safe from being cut.

McDermott looked worse than bad Marcus Cannon in the game.

Fleming isn't horrible as a backup. I wouldn't want him 1st stringer, but he can fill in a couple of games.

It's hard to say with Garcia. Bedard said he was too small now.

If Solder is gone after this year they either move Cannon or insert Garcia. Either way there would be at least one more veteran tackle added during the offseason.

I would say pay him. Rather over pay for him than have to train a new LT for one of TBs last years.

I find it rather amazing (I know I shouldn't) that we are judging rookies so early.

1) I don't expect Solder to be here in 2018.

2) I expect the team to choose between Fleming and Waddle. Both have started and both are adequate as a backup. I do NOT believe that OT is a problem for 2017. We have 2 solid starters and an adequate backup. I don't think that we are worse off than in 2017. We are such better off if our young IOL's stay healthy, with one more year of experience.

3) Cannon is a part of the future at one of the tackle spots.

4) I expect Garcia to improve after more than a year in Dante's Academy.

5) There is a rationale for keeping McDermott on the 53 man roster as a developmental player. This makes more sense to me as a 9th OL than another guard. We can carry three IOL's on the PS. Dante must determine whether McDermott's potential justifies a roster position. I expect Dante to pick someone else up for the PS. Such a player would be a year to develop under Dante.

6) If Garcia isn't ready to be a backup and Fleming and Waddle are found wanting, we could pick up a veteran backup OT as our 9th OL, or as an 8th OL as a replacement for both Fleming and Waddle.

BOTTOM LINE
We are fine for 2017 with 2 solid OT's, and an improving young IOL (including Karras as a backup). There are many options for backup and developmental OT's for 2018.

But we are Pats fans so we insist on having three OT's that are high caliber starters plus a developmental OT who will some day be an all star. Unless we have that, we are nervous.

I don't want to pay Solder, as I don't think he's got much longevity. I want him to sign that 4x$13M contract with the Steelers or Broncos and then go in IR with a bad case of athlete's foot and stay there for four years.

I think the 2 year deal was telling. Either NE or Solder didn't want it to go any longer than that.

It would not surprise me if 2017 is the LT's last year here (or anywhere).

But I'd say it's quite premature to start worrying about the LT position in 2018 before the second game of the 2017 preseason. BB will figure it out.

I am happy with 2017. I would love a better backup but that isn't always easy to get. Most teams don't even have 2 tackles they really like.

To me 2018 is the question and we just don't know. Hopefully Garcia is the answer. If he is not the Pats have a few options. FA won't be a good one but there are other ways to get a tackle. Next year there are 3-4 first round OTs. They could pick one and try there luck. They could also trade for one which might be the best option if this team is stays loaded again next year and is just a LT away.

However there is no need to get too ahead of ourselves.

I agree.

I also think that we should have at 2 options on the roster who have a good chance of replacing Solder in 2018.

I am happy with 2017. I would love a better backup but that isn't always easy to get. Most teams don't even have 2 tackles they really like.

To me 2018 is the question and we just don't know. Hopefully Garcia is the answer. If he is not the Pats have a few options. FA won't be a good one but there are other ways to get a tackle. Next year there are 3-4 first round OTs. They could pick one and try there luck. They could also trade for one which might be the best option if this team is stays loaded again next year and is just a LT away.

However there is no need to get too ahead of ourselves.

I would say that Solder is a pretty good left tackle in this league...Not elite but not horrible either. Certainly better than Flemming or Waddle. At this point it's been disappointing that we haven't seen more of Garcia, whether it's injury related or because he's just not ready yet, I'm not sure.

The one thing I'm certain about is I wouldn't want to go into the season looking at Flemming or Waddle at LT.

Hope we see more of Garcia moving forward.

Waddle Stinks. Who do you think our best lineman is?

Don't know why we drafted McDermott. He's nowhere near strong enough to play in the NFL, I watched him get abused. We can't afford to have Garcia bust or that will effect our o line in the long term. Let's see how he plays when he recovers from his injury

This team needs an OT3 for 2017. It will probably need a LT1 for 2018. I expect BB is working on the former, and at least planning for the latter.

If Solder get s injured I'd rather have Cannon playing on the right side and having stability on that side even at the cost of subpar playing on the LT than kicking him to the left side and having so-so playing in both sides. Cannon has never been good on the left side.

I would give Solder $13M per year. In this market bad starting tackles are worth $10M+, because there's just way more demand than supply for competent tackles. A good one should be able to get $13M easily

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes