PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nate Solder and our LT conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given what Reiss has written in the past about Solder it is not even clear if he will continue playing football beyond his contract. And given what he and his family has been going through since 2014 I am not surprised.

On your last point I just wanna add that there is no way anybody seriously expected that any of the tackles taken in the draft would be contributors this season. Right ? Because that is bonkers..

Both will need a year or two to develop with Garcia maybe able to be out swing tackle next year if things progress well. McDermott is a total project and by no means safe from being cut.

Of course. Which is why the whole post is about 2018. We already have Solder for 2017.

I think the 2 year deal was telling. Either NE or Solder didn't want it to go any longer than that.

It would not surprise me if 2017 is the LT's last year here (or anywhere).

But I'd say it's quite premature to start worrying about the LT position in 2018 before the second game of the 2017 preseason. BB will figure it out.

Premature analysis and contemplation is what this forum thrives on! :)

I don't see a conundrum. Solder plays the season and their offer will depend upon his play. There have also been rumors of retirement so with FA pending and possible retirement they were smart to draft a potential replacement. They won't break the bank for Solder but they know his worth and will make a fair offer to him if he's really invested in continuing to play. What Solder chooses to do is obviously up to him.

tag him

I don't see a conundrum. Solder plays the season and their offer will depend upon his play. There have also been rumors of retirement so with FA pending and possible retirement they were smart to draft a potential replacement. They won't break the bank for Solder but they know his worth and will make a fair offer to him if he's really invested in continuing to play. What Solder chooses to do is obviously up to him.

Well Solder would be stupid not to take e.g. 4 years at $52m, $25m guaranteed versus, e.g. us offering another 2 years at $20m, $10m guaranteed.

Well Solder would be stupid not to take e.g. 4 years at $52m, $25m guaranteed versus, e.g. us offering another 2 years at $20m, $10m guaranteed.

Is that what Belichick offered?

Solder will provably retire. If not they'll pay him. They're too nice.

Fleming is terrible should be cut. Waddle is ok. Cannon could play lt very well. Thuney credibly. Garcia is an enigma, i'm disappointed. Cole Croston is a dark horse with ability. Blue horseshoe loves Croston.

But you are pulling 2 offers out of thin air. You might as well say someone is going to offer him
20mill a year and we will ask him to play for free.

But you are pulling 2 offers out of thin air. You might as well say someone is going to offer him
20mill a year and we will ask him to play for free.

I quoted the article at the start which speculated that Solder can get $13m per year for 3-4 years and that likely Pats want to keep Solder at his current $10m for a few more years.

So no, I didn't pull them out of thin air. You can say you disagree with Rich Hill though, but I am quoting his analysis of the 2018 FA market and knowledge of Pats FO.

Post some examples of the Patriots being "too nice"

1. Adding incentives upside to Gronk's contract when they were not obligated to.
2. Switching Brady and Ninkovich's contract base to minimum to 4 game suspensions won't hurt them financially.
3. Reworking Seabass' contract so he can make playtime incentives bonus even if he played fewer snaps (this was in 2014 when they had the stupid idea of rotating Tackles every few drives).
4. Adding incentives upside to Chung's contract for outplaying his contract
5. Keeping Jake Bequette employed for no good reason.

There are tons more examples.

Last edited:
I quoted the article at the start which speculated that Solder can get $13m per year for 3-4 years and that likely Pats want to keep Solder at his current $10m for a few more years.
Exactly. Some guy made a guess and you increased it and compared it to a 2 year old deal.

So no, I didn't pull them out of thin air. You can say you disagree with Rich Hill though, but I am quoting his analysis of the 2018 FA market and knowledge of Pats FO.
He is guessing. Where does he say the patriots will offer 2 years for 20 mill?

I guess you didn't read the article. The whole article analyses who is available in FA in 2018 for tackles and what are the value of recent contracts at tackle and then extrapolates. Here's the quote:

"Solder will have his pick of the teams next year in free agency and it wouldn’t be a surprise if he fielded offers in the $13 million range at the top of the league. New England might not be willing to match and might want to keep Solder in a similar $10-11 million contract that he’s been playing under over the past two seasons."

1. Adding incentives upside to Gronk's contract when they were not obligated to.
2. Switching Brady and Ninkovich's contract base to minimum to 4 game suspensions won't hurt them financially.
3. Reworking Seabass' contract so he can make playtime incentives bonus even if he played fewer snaps (this was in 2014 when they had the stupid idea of rotating Tackles every few drives).
4. Adding incentives upside to Chung's contract for outplaying his contract
5. Keeping Jake Bequette employed for no good reason.

There are tons more examples.

Great, any smart team would reward a player for over performing to make them happy or to give them an incentive them to play more or produce more. That is being smart, "not too nice"

That is not what the idiot meant by too nice. This team just dosent do things because its nice. They do what is best for the team.

What do you mean nope? Which part do you disagree with? The fact they added incentives upside to Gronk's contract for 2017 or the fact they were not obligated to and did it just to keep him happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back