Mortensen Finally Admits Rush to Publish Deflategate Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Chris Mortensen explains his Deflategate reporting for first time
When King brought up Deflategate towards the end of the discussion, Mortensen admitted he should have corrected his erroneous report about 11 of 12 Patriots footballs being two PSI below the league limit. According to Mortensen, two league sources shared the information with him: one gave him the incorrect PSI figures and the other contact told him to stick with the language “significantly under inflated.” In the past, Mortensen says he would have more carefully vetted the story. But in the rush to publish, he went ahead with the report, despite still having some questions.

did he say why it took him over a year to recant the story?

Did he happen to mention which source gave him incredibly false info, and which source told him not to correct it, but to go with "significantly under inflated" which was also Significantly false?

**** chris mortensen.

In the past, Mortensen says he would have more carefully vetted the story. But in the rush to publish, he went ahead with the report, despite still having some questions.

"The normal caution Chris Mortensen would've stopped and said, 'What don't I know about this story?' But I went ahead (with it),” he explained. “I just decided to tweet, 'Source says 11 of 12, two pounds under.’ … I've done journalism long enough to know the right questions needed to be asked on the Tuesday night in which that information was given to me. That would've been like, 'OK, I've got some more interesting information. This is a developing story.' In the old days, who knows how many days it would've taken for me to write anything? It certainly hung out there and stuck out there.”

I wish him well with his fight against cancer. But when it comes to how he 'reported' this story, he is still a douche.

He let an innocent guy that for all accounts is a great human being go under the public trial already convicted due to the lies he released working for a big press.

Everybody makes mistakes, he acknowledge his and sit over it for more than a year
letting the lies spread and build into something worse. He can go **** himself, I hope Brady sues him.

But in the rush to publish, he went ahead with the report, despite still having some questions.

This is a big problem with the media as a whole in 2017.

did he say why it took him over a year to recant the story?

Did he happen to mention which source gave him incredibly false info, and which source told him not to correct it, but to go with "significantly under inflated" which was also Significantly false?

**** chris mortensen.
When you are employed at ESPN, you have to swear by the Hypocritical Oath.

When King brought up Deflategate towards the end of the discussion, Mortensen admitted he should have corrected his erroneous report about 11 of 12 Patriots footballs being two PSI below the league limit. According to Mortensen, two league sources shared the information with him: one gave him the incorrect PSI figures and the other contact told him to stick with the language “significantly under inflated.” In the past, Mortensen says he would have more carefully vetted the story. But in the rush to publish, he went ahead with the report, despite still having some questions.
I can't even...

He let an innocent guy that for all accounts is a great human being go under the public trial already convicted due to the lies he released working for a big press.

Everybody makes mistakes, he acknowledge his and sit over it for more than a year
letting the lies spread and build into something worse. He can go **** himself, I hope Brady sues him.
That’s an interesting point. Does Brady have the grounds to sue him?

If you want to recover your integrity, you'll have to reveal your sources, since they clearly lied.

Otherwise, you can keep your half baked excuses to yourself

Same thing with that fat slob Tomase. He didn’t verify his sources about the “rams walkthrough tape.” I hate journalists.

Last edited:
I think 11 of 12 reporters would have waited for more facts. The 12th being the not so good one.

I can't even...

I can.

The Mort Distort that spread the big lie wasn't a story written by Mortonson, it was a story written by a 'league source".

That’s an interesting point. Does Brady have the grounds to sue him?
Not a lawyer but seems that Mort never implicated Brady directly and it would be challenging to convince a judge or jury to say Mort's report directly influenced the NFL's investigation into the NEP and TB12 as they could cite Kravitz as reporting led to it.

I don't believe a word I said but legally that seemingly would be their argument.

I don't give a **** what Mort has to say until he starts naming sources

Cool...hope it was worth ruining his career.

F him.. he is a tool, in more ways than one

Mort afraid of getting blacklisted

name-names-jpg.35664

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes