PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Money and cap considerations: another year of Brady or ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man it'd have been nice to have Brissett right about now. Stidham probably isn't ready to start.
I don't see why people are down on Stidham. Everything BB has done/said regarding the kid is promising. As for Brissett: give thanks he's not here, he'll never be championship caliber.

I don't see why people are down on Stidham. Everything BB has done/said regarding the kid is promising. As for Brissett: give thanks he's not here, he'll never be championship caliber.
The fan base doesn't have the slightest freaking clue if Stidham is a worthless backup or the potential to be a very good NFL QB.

There is only one way to find out.

The fan base doesn't have the slightest freaking clue if Stidham is a worthless backup or the potential to be a very good NFL QB.

There is only one way to find out.
That's the bottom line, but BB clearly likes him which is encouraging as far as I'm concerned. The "fan base" is scared to death of seeing Brady leave and has this weird notion that a second-year QB (Stidham in 2020) is incapable, forgetting that Brady become a starter part way through his second season.

Not out on him by any means, but just not so sure he's ready to step in and be a year 2 starter.

Not out on him by any means, but just not so sure he's ready to step in and be a year 2 starter.
Nobody is "sure" until he actually does it and proves himself.

That's the bottom line, but BB clearly likes him which is encouraging as far as I'm concerned. The "fan base" is scared to death of seeing Brady leave and has this weird notion that a second-year QB (Stidham in 2020) is incapable, forgetting that Brady become a starter part way through his second season.
Yep. We aren't talking about another Danny Etling here. Stidham has talent but we have no idea what he has on the inside when the bullets start flying.

TBH I wasn't convinced Brady was the QB of the future until the Snow Bowl.

People want the next QB right now but it doesn't work that way.

OK. point?

Did the team cut Bledsoe in the hope that Brady would be his replacement.

I would be shocked if the team starts the season with Stidham and a rookie at QB. And it almost delusional to expect that we would be able to sign a veteran for cheap money, just because it has happened before.

It is not true that no starting QB makes less than $20 million. And you simply cannot say Stidham won't be ready next season any more than you could've said the same about Brady in 2001.

IMO, by FAR the most likely way for the patriots to be a contender in 2020 is to retain Brady. The amount of 2020 cap money used needn't be great. We would sign another 3 year contract with voidable years. This could be done again in 2021 if it is right for the team and Brady (our opinions truly don't matter).

I don't see what the team sees in Stidham. However, Imo, we should be signing another QB with one of out top 3 picks, and then go into the season with 3 QB's.

The whole point of this thread, as laid out in the OP, is pondering what it will take for the Patriots to REMAIN a playoff-contending team in 2020 (which cannot be assumed). Free agency/cap space loom huge, both in retaining key players and bringing in needed help.

In NFL history how many QB’s couldn’t be trusted to be a competent back up and ended up being relevant?

Yes, because obviously if the first time a kid plays in an NFL game he throws a pick 6, he's done for life. Are you really this stupid?

OK. point? Did the team cut Bledsoe in the hope that Brady would be his replacement. I would be shocked if the team starts the season with Stidham and a rookie at QB. And it almost delusional to expect that we would be able to sign a veteran for cheap money, just because it has happened before.
I don't understand your Bledsoe question, the point is simple: second-year QBs can effectively lead an NFL offense. This fear that all is lost if Stidham starts next year is beyond premature. Don't know why signing a veteran backup QB for cheap money would be considered "delusional"; I'm sure BB could get that done if he wanted to. He's done it before.

IMO, by FAR the most likely way for the patriots to be a contender in 2020 is to retain Brady. The amount of 2020 cap money used needn't be great. We would sign another 3 year contract with voidable years. This could be done again in 2021 if it is right for the team and Brady (our opinions truly don't matter).
You're right about those opinions.

I don't see what the team sees in Stidham.
That explains why you're a fan and not employed by the Patriots. ;)

However, Imo, we should be signing another QB with one of out top 3 picks, and then go into the season with 3 QB's.
I'm not advocating for Brady's departure, just saying that depending on how things shake down financially, with free agency, etc. it might be in the team's best interests to move on. Either way it'll happen soon and it's yet to be determined if Brady actually wants to come back. I'm a Patriots fan first and a Brady fan second. I just want the team to continue competing at a high level and not see that jeopardized by overpaying a legendary player on the wane. If the team can afford to re-sign Brady and also afford all the free agent moves it needs, that would be ideal.

Last edited:
Stidham's career so far is mirroring Brady's.

...tick tick tick...

How do you know BB “clearly likes him”? BB clearly likes to go with 1 QB to save a roster spot (probably for an extra special teamer). What’s weird is the notion that Stidham is Brady 2.0.

How do you know BB “clearly likes him”? BB clearly likes to go with 1 QB to save a roster spot (probably for an extra special teamer).
BB drafted him and has had him on the game-day roster all season, indicating he has confidence Stidham can produce if Brady goes down. He also has praised Stidham's practice work with the first unit on Brady's days off, even referring to him by nickname.

What’s weird is the notion that Stidham is Brady 2.0.
I haven't heard or seen anyone make that outrageous claim. I sure as hell haven't.

BB drafted him and has had him on the game-day roster all season, indicating he has confidence Stidham can produce if Brady goes down. He also has praised Stidham's practice work with the first unit on Brady's days off, even referring to him by nickname.

I haven't heard or seen anyone make that outrageous claim. I sure as hell haven't.
Well, whatever then. You said above that those saying all is lost if Stidam starts is beyond premature and further up the team maybe better if the move on from Brady to keep Van Noy etc. So what do you mean by saying that you can’t say Stidham won’t be ready next year any more than you can say Brady wouldn’t be ready in 2001? Brady 2001 is a once in a lifetime event. Even BB didn’t think Brady was ready in 2001 or he would have started him coming out of Camp.

And in this quote here you seen to think it is significant that Stidam’s on the game day roster. If he’s one of the inactives, and Brady gets hurt, who is the QB? Edelman? Going with Stidham means he’s promising and has a great salary for a back up QB. Promising enough to fill in for a game or two and maybe steal a win. It’s more of a gamble Brady won’t get hurt or will miss a couple games at most, than viewing Stidham as a viable option. He may work out great eventually, but going with Stidham means a likely rebuilding year instead of contending for another ring.

Well, whatever then. You said above that those saying all is lost if Stidam starts is beyond premature and further up the team maybe better if the move on from Brady to keep Van Noy etc. So what do you mean by saying that you can’t say Stidham won’t be ready next year any more than you can say Brady wouldn’t be ready in 2001? Brady 2001 is a once in a lifetime event. Even BB didn’t think Brady was ready in 2001 or he would have started him coming out of Camp.
Brady played well in the 2000 preseason, BB knew he eventually would be the starter -- that's why he didn't give Bledsoe his job back after he recovered. What I meant re. you can't say Stidham won't be ready next year is there's ample precedent for a second-year QB successfully leading an NFL offense, Brady being one example. I wasn't suggesting Stidham = Brady in ability

And in this quote here you seen to think it is significant that Stidam’s on the game day roster. If he’s one of the inactives, and Brady gets hurt, who is the QB? Edelman? Going with Stidham means he’s promising and has a great salary for a back up QB. Promising enough to fill in for a game or two and maybe steal a win. It’s more of a gamble Brady won’t get hurt or will miss a couple games at most, than viewing Stidham as a viable option. He may work out great eventually, but going with Stidham means a likely rebuilding year instead of contending for another ring.
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Stidham never has been inactive game-day, he's the backup QB. Fact is, we don't know what his potential is but he has demonstrated a strong skill set.

Brady played well in the 2000 preseason, BB knew he eventually would be the starter -- that's why he didn't give Bledsoe his job back after he recovered. What I meant re. you can't say Stidham won't be ready next year is there's ample precedent for a second-year QB successfully leading an NFL offense, Brady being one example. I wasn't suggesting Stidham = Brady in ability

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Stidham never has been inactive game-day, he's the backup QB. Fact is, we don't know what his potential is but he has demonstrated a strong skill set.
Ok, I’m moving on. In your quote you said BB drafted him and has had him on the game day roster all season long. My point was the game day roster means nothing. He has to be as he is the only back up QB. It only means Stidham is close to Hoyer for less money and Hoyer was not that good. And in ‘09 and ‘10 Hoyer was the lone backup. In 12 Ryan Mallet was the lone backup etc. it’s more likely roster management than a belief Stidham is a viable option next year.

You are considering that the team has to have the 7M or so of new cap money it would take to sign Brady (or any other veteran QB)?

You are considering going with Stidham because we can't "afford" a quarterback?

. If the team can afford to re-sign Brady and also afford all the free agent moves it needs, that would be ideal.

Ok, I’m moving on. In your quote you said BB drafted him and has had him on the game day roster all season long. My point was the game day roster means nothing. He has to be as he is the only back up QB. It only means Stidham is close to Hoyer for less money and Hoyer was not that good. And in ‘09 and ‘10 Hoyer was the lone backup. In 12 Ryan Mallet was the lone backup etc. it’s more likely roster management than a belief Stidham is a viable option next year.
No, it doesn't mean any of those things, least of all regarding money. Quarterback is the most important position on the team and being active on game day means everything. When Hoyer was Brady's sole backup it was because of what he brought to the table in that role, which includes practice prep and the fact that during those stints BB had not identified a suitable developmental QB to groom who could do the same things. Mallet was deemed the best backup option at the time as a developmental prospect, same with Garoppolo. The likes of Hoyer, Mallett, Cassel, Garoppolo and Stidham aren't purely financial/affordability decisions, although that's part of it by definition in a reserve role. They were/are -- first and foremost -- best fits for the system to take over running the offense if needed.

No, it doesn't mean any of those things, least of all regarding money. Quarterback is the most important position on the team and being active on game day means everything. When Hoyer was Brady's sole backup it was because of what he brought to the table in that role, which includes practice prep and the fact that during those stints BB had not identified a suitable developmental QB to groom who could do the same things. Mallet was deemed the best backup option at the time as a developmental prospect, same with Garoppolo. The likes of Hoyer, Mallett, Cassel, Garoppolo and Stidham aren't purely financial/affordability decisions, although that's part of it by definition in a reserve role. They were/are -- first and foremost -- best fits for the system to take over running the offense if needed.
So we are all set at TE because bb kept those guys and they were active? I guess Newhouse is coming back to start.

You are considering that the team has to have the 7M or so of new cap money it would take to sign Brady (or any other veteran QB)?
For Brady or a veteran starter, sure. For a veteran backup to Stidham, no.

You are considering going with Stidham because we can't "afford" a quarterback?
No. Once again, I'm saying that the money it would take to re-sign Brady might be better spent on shoring up other positions if Stidham is deemed ready. You consider that impossible, which is fine; we're just speculating here. Maybe Brady is willing to sign for $13 million, maybe he won't take less than $30 million. Maybe he retires. Maybe he goes with McDaniels to the Chargers. I'm just saying that whatever Brady asks for must be weighed in terms of what's needed to field a competitive roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back