PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mohammed Sanu to have surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any historical comparison for a guy getting surgery to repair a high ankle sprain? Seems like it would take at least a year for your body to get back to 100%.

How can a team be so snakebit at WR?
Simple, they rarely draft them high and view them as a luxury and not a requirement. That's why we kept asking guys like Amendola to take paycuts when he was such a valuable and consistent number 2 and why we always went for uncovered gems like Lafell and Hogan.

They don't value the posistion and without Gronk we actually need it to be more than Edelman and a few lunchpail guys. I have no doubt we are in for another overhaul at that unit. Belichick knows it cost him. We just need to get there

Its supposed to be the best WR draft in years. Maybe GOAT.

If the Pats cant find at least 1 stud in this draft, then its time to get Bobby Grier back on the payroll.
Many of the prospects are too fast for this offense. Ruggs? Forget about it. We have no use for that kind of speed. We need the finest, most upstanding gentlemen at WR who can deceive the defense because of how slow they are. This gets the defensive backs relaxed thinking they’ve got us on lock and then BOOM, maybe someone gets open on a blown coverage and is able to rumble for another 10-12 yards.

Simple, they rarely draft them high and view them as a luxury and not a requirement.

Where NE drafts has nothing to do with it.

That excuse has been debunked a dozen times. The last draft alone had so many good players to be had after the Pats picked the wrong guy in Harry. It doesnt matter what round the Pats go WR because they will find the bum out of the group.

Sanu joined the team midseason and promptly got hurt. He's been a reliable 60 catch guy his whole career, but he's a second fiddle receiver. Comparing him to Edelman in any way is ridiculous. But you ain't gonna buy a comparable receiver with $6.5m. Sanu himself would cost $10m on the open market.
You keep saying this, but I don't even for one microsecond believe it's true...On what exactly are you basing this fictional $10M/year figure?

How can a team be so snakebit at WR?
It's because they're not snake-bit...their WR scouting & drafting are a ginormous pile of poo.

You keep saying this, but I don't even for one microsecond believe it's true...On what exactly are you basing this fictional $10M/year figure?

The contracts other wide receivers get in free agency? I mean Devin Funchess got $10m and Tyrell Williams got $11.2m last year on the open market (and that's before whatever absurd inflation the CBA will bring). Quincy Enunwa and Jamison Crowder got $9.5m and Sterling Shepard got $10.25m to re-sign with the Giants. Sanu would absolutely command $10m annually if he was an unrestricted free agent, he's been much more consistently productive than those players in his career.

Last edited:
The contracts other wide receivers get in free agency? I mean Devin Funchess got $10m and Tyrell Williams got $11.2m last year on the open market (and that's before whatever absurd inflation the CBA will bring). Quincy Enunwa and Jamison Crowder got $9.5m and Sterling Shepard got $10.25m to re-sign with the Giants. Sanu would absolutely command $10m annually if he was an unrestricted free agent, he's been much more consistently productive than those players in his career.

the sooner bb makes sanu a free agent, the better. He is a complete waste of a roster spot!

Many of the prospects are too fast for this offense. Ruggs? Forget about it. We have no use for that kind of speed. We need the finest, most upstanding gentlemen at WR who can deceive the defense because of how slow they are. This gets the defensive backs relaxed thinking they’ve got us on lock and then BOOM, maybe someone gets open on a blown coverage and is able to rumble for another 10-12 yards.
The “slow plodder” system is just another way for Belichick to prove his true genius. The man seems to prefer a challenge.

He was injured dude....

It was apparent to everyone who actually saw what was going on and wasn't just looking for scapegoats to blame for the teams struggles. We got Sanu for a much better deal than Sanders with the extra year. He just got hurt. It happens. We weren't about to you IR a WR we just traded for to solve an issue at WR.

I hope we will see the real Sanu after he heals up.

guy catches 10 balls prior to BB's stupid decision to have him return punts, suffers a high ankle sprain, toughs it out and tries to play through it...and some so called fans call him a bum. Idiots

He had 81 yards on FOURTEEN targets. Nothing about his disaster tenure serves as a hopeful reminder for 2020.

Not sure what you're getting at here. The Pats averaged 68 offensive plays per game in 2019, or 4.86x14.

81x4,86 = 372.6, which wouldn't be a bad offensive showing, would it?

Not sure what you're getting at here. The Pats averaged 68 offensive plays per game in 2019, or 4.86x14.

81x4,86 = 372.6, which wouldn't be a bad offensive showing, would it?

What?

Yes it slowed him down

But i don't think for a second that he would be anything more than mediocre even at his normal self.

Not worth his contract then, much less now IMO

The only receiver you could get for 6.5m better than Sanu would have to be on his rookie deal and exceeding expectations (which means you aren't getting near the guy if he's not already in your system).

The only receiver you could get for 6.5m better than Sanu would have to be on his rookie deal and exceeding expectations (which means you aren't getting near the guy if he's not already in your system).

Then use that 6.5M towards a bigger contract.

Math. What is "disastrous" about 14 plays for 81 yards in the NFL?

81 yards on 14 targets is terrible inefficiency. It isn’t even 6.0 yards per target. It’s ridiculous to cite this game as a plus for Sanu. Thanks for the math.

We disagree at starting points. Im pretty confident there are some players that could replicate whatever Sanu's production would be because I think Sanu sucks.

We disagree at starting points. Im pretty confident there are some players that could replicate whatever Sanu's production would be because I think Sanu sucks.

Fixed.

81 yards on 14 targets is terrible inefficiency. It isn’t even 6.0 yards per target. It’s ridiculous to cite this game as a plus for Sanu. Thanks for the math.

That would depend on where the targets were and how many were caught (YPC isn't the same as YPT). Go look it up - some of the biggest name WRs average well under 10 YPT.

Edelman averaged 7.3 YPT last year, for example.

The game in question had the Pats way behind early. Edelman had 89 yards on 11 targets (and possibly fumbled away the game). Was he a disaster there, too?

Sanu's touchdown, by the way, LOWERED his YPC and YPT in that game.

Look, I don't know if the guy will make it here or not, and I wasn't big on the trade from the time it happened - I preferred Sanders - but this dumping is ridiculous. After the Ravens game, everyone was sky high on Sanu. Then he got hurt and played, or tried to, through a high ankle sprain so severe that now he needs surgery.

The argument right now is simple: maybe he shouldn't have been playing after the injury. I put that on the coaches (and yes, on Brady, because I'm sure his attitude about the rookies had a lot to do with that).

That would depend on where the targets were and how many were caught (YPC isn't the same as YPT). Go look it up - some of the biggest name WRs average well under 10 YPT.

Edelman averaged 7.3 YPT last year, for example.

The game in question had the Pats way behind early. Edelman had 89 yards on 11 targets (and possibly fumbled away the game). Was he a disaster there, too?

Sanu's touchdown, by the way, LOWERED his YPC and YPT in that game.

Look, I don't know if the guy will make it here or not, and I wasn't big on the trade from the time it happened - I preferred Sanders - but this dumping is ridiculous. After the Ravens game, everyone was sky high on Sanu. Then he got hurt and played, or tried to, through a high ankle sprain so severe that now he needs surgery.

The argument right now is simple: maybe he shouldn't have been playing after the injury. I put that on the coaches (and yes, on Brady, because I'm sure his attitude about the rookies had a lot to do with that).

Sanu averaged like 4.4 YPT last season as opposed to Edelman’s 7.3. This dumping is ridiculous? Your absurd reasoning is ridiculous.

Go look it up - some of the biggest name WRs average well under 10 YPT.

Yep...in fact Rob Gronkowski is the all-time leader in career YPT at 9.9 over his career. What’s your point? Are you really saying because guys average under 10 YPT, then let’s lump everyone together? Your arguments are all illogical which I should have realized when you posted the most nonsensical “math” equation in memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe