PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Bennett TRADED TO DALLAS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Michael Bennett says it's hard adjusting to what he calls the 'zero role'

He has definitely had a heavy decrease in snaps this year.

Bennett would be the kind of guy to get frustrated and do something drastic like request a release if his playing standard weren’t met.

Maybe there isn’t much to it and his role will increase down the stretch, but probably something worth keeping an eye on.

I think so. Don't see anything major stuff coming out of this though. Probably because he sees the chance at a ring, more playing time down the stretch etc.

He also got a new contract before the season so I don't see a major concern there.

I think they’re saving up his snaps count now so he will be fresh later on during the season. We shall see.

Chris Long was unhappy with his role too, but he stuck it out for the year, won a ring, then respectfully walked away. I think players buy in while they're here, because everyone around them is buying in. I don't know if Bennett is actually unhappy (this article sounds like connecting some fairly vague dots), or if he'd stick around for another year like this, but I don't see a problem as long as we're winning.

I think the Chris Long comparison is valid, along with the team limiting snaps.

When we face the Chiefs BB will release Bennett and Chase.

They have no idea what type of pass rush we really got.

I don’t think there’s anything to call the police about here. Gun to my head, I’d say they’re easing him in both because it’s a new defense he hasn’t played in before and because of his age. I wouldn’t be surprised if his snaps increase as the season goes on.

He played a season low 15 snaps yesterday.

This is a Ben Volin take worthy of F&M. Really. :rolleyes: What could make you think this is even a possibility. Was it bad "body language" or did he once have a frown on his face....or was it gas?

He's a 34 year old veteran whose YOUNGER brother is already retired. He's at the stage where he NEEDS snap management to get through the season. His situation is also much different than Long's was. Long was being asked to play DE in a way much different that what he did before. OTOH, Beenett is being asked to do things that normally utilize the best of his game. In fact if Long was here now in the Bennett role, he wouldn't have left.

Talk about CREATING drama where there is none. :rolleyes: Totally ludicrous, so I guess this will be the prime take between Curran and Felger today. ;)

Chris Long was unhappy with his role too, but he stuck it out for the year, won a ring, then respectfully walked away. I think players buy in while they're here, because everyone around them is buying in. I don't know if Bennett is actually unhappy (this article sounds like connecting some fairly vague dots), or if he'd stick around for another year like this, but I don't see a problem as long as we're winning.
Enormous difference between Chris Long and Michael Bennett in personality though.

Hope he's fresh for the post-season but it wouldn't exactly be the most surprising thing in the world if Michael Bennett were disgruntled.

giphy.gif

I'll just leave this here. Should give hint of if Bennett's role so far is making him discontent

The guy is hurt. Watch him get up after the sack he and Hightower shared. He's cradling his right arm. His shoulder is hurting him. I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

Bennett should be smart enough to understand the situation here. He's 34 and it's a bloody long season. I don't want this guy gassed or missing time later in the year because he got hurt against a going nowhere team like the Jets or Washington.
I want this dude fresh and ready for the playoffs. He should want the same thing.

Bennett should be smart enough to understand the situation here. He's 34 and it's a bloody long season. I don't want this guy gassed or missing time later in the year because he got hurt against a going nowhere team like the Jets or Washington.
I want this dude fresh and ready for the playoffs. He should want the same thing.
I could be wrong but I think there are very few players in the NFL who would be happy with playing 15 snaps in a week 5 game because they think the team doesn’t believe they can hold up for a season so they have to wait to really play.
I could be wrong but I think Bennett feels he has been benched for the likes of butler, wise, winovich and Calhoun.
I could be wrong but I don’t recall Belichick ever all but eliminating a good player from the game plan because he wants to save him for later in the season.
I could be wrong, but I think something is going on here.

he's on a pitch count........enough plays to keep him limber and healthy.....they will count on him more come playoff time

Well Andy, you could be right!

he's on a pitch count........enough plays to keep him limber and healthy.....they will count on him more come playoff time
Can you name a player they have ever done that with before? Why play him 15 snaps if he is too fragile to play, just make him
Inactive. Something doesn’t add up.

There could be something up with this situation. 100% so.

Maybe he's on a diminished snap count because others are simply playing/practicing better than he is. For a veteran player who has had a lot of success, that can be difficult to take.
He could also be suffering from an undisclosed injury, which would help explain only 15 snaps yesterday.

There are a few possibilities here but now that I've seen he only played 15 snaps (I thought it was more) something does not add up.

I think they’re saving up his snaps count now so he will be fresh later on during the season. We shall see.
Yeah, just like they did with Ocho-stinko. :rolleyes:

I no longer think he’s on a pitch count. I also think he is the type of player who could be difficult to manage if he becomes unhappy.

As much as I’d like to have him stick around as depth, there might come a time when they will need to part ways. If it gets contentious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes