PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Meyers to LV Raiders

But THAT is my point. Yes Jacobi's production is gone. Yes it has to be replaced. BUT we are just minutes into the process. Seem like people want solutions IMMEDIATELY when there is so much time to fix the problem. If there is STILL no obvious solution after the draft THEN I'll start to join the mob. But we are a LONG way till then.

I'll recall 2 examples from history to maybe help make you feel a bit more at ease.

1. There was a hue and cry when Welker left for Denver for a deal that looked like we could easily match. Later in the process, Bill got Danny Amendola AND Edelman began to develop into the guy we loved at the end of his career (BTW-he was an overnight sensation that took FIVE years to develop.....and that NO one wanted when he was a FA TWICE

2. Then there was a time,, and I forget the names, when Bill signed 2 vet DE's close to TC. Their signing produced a ripple of comment. Depth/.camp fodder were the expectations, and between they accounted for 20 sacks. that year. Someone Help me out with the names and year please.
My issue is not just the last 5 minutes since Meyers left. It’s overall in the post-Brady era. We are directionless. One minute it seems like we are going to rebuild then the next we are franchising guards, holding onto depreciating assets too long (Gilmore), a free agent frenzy, an experimental OC year, to now when we are letting our only consistent offensive player walk.

Ever think the reports of his health might be to prop up his value?
He looked healthy in the final 4 games that he played. I'm sure NYG did their due diligence on his medicals.

2020. 2 years ago...

Turns 31 in September.

Too many injuries which take longer to heal for older players.
I like the player a lot. I love the trade for NYG. I just wish the Patriots had thought of it first.

My issue is not just the last 5 minutes since Meyers left. It’s overall in the post-Brady era. We are directionless. One minute it seems like we are going to rebuild then the next we are franchising guards, holding onto depreciating assets too long (Gilmore), a free agent frenzy, an experimental OC year, to now when we are letting our only consistent offensive player walk.
We let a guy worthy of 5-7 mill a year walk to get 11 mill. Not sure how that is a problem.

He looked healthy in the final 4 games that he played. I'm sure NYG did their due diligence on his medicals.

I like the player a lot. I love the trade for NYG. I just wish the Patriots had thought of it first.
I'm sure they did think about it but for the reasons I mentioned they didn't want to spend $12m on an oft-injured 31 year old player.

Sorry, I hadn't seen that other post before sending mine... Has this thread been merged with another one?
No i used the multi quote function to bring it over... I got no problem with admitting I was wrong. I wildly overestimated his value. Thought he was a 15m a year player. Swing and a miss, as they say. Its why I post here vs working at Foxborough.

if I worked at foxborough, meyers would still be here, and most likely, a richer man than he will be tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm sure they did think about it but for the reasons I mentioned they didn't want to spend $12m on an oft-injured 31 year old player.
I didn't realize that he's 31. But either way it should be a decent trade for NY for a year or two.

I get this weird feeling the best we’ll get at WR is OBJ at some prove it one year deal.

Once OBJ realizes he’s not going to get close to the amount he thinks he’s worth

This is honestly pathetic from Bill. We gave Agholor $11million 2 years ago. $11million for a receiver in Meyers caliber our #1 receiver last couple years is chump change in this market!

But Bill is going to continue his bargain basement shopping method acting like Brady is still the QB. He will sign dorsett while the rest of the AFC east loads up.

Unless we go and get a Jeudy or a Hopkins this is sad and a disaster

Hey Tom - What about Wes Welker, Danny Amendola and Chris Hogan? All undrafted free agents who got their biggest paychecks in new England.

Yeah, Bill the GM can leave now. I'm tired of the 'genius' drafting. I'm tired of the bad FA decisions on who stays, who goes. The last five years have shown me that I can't trust him to make the smart decisions he used to make.

Hey Tom - What about Wes Welker, Danny Amendola and Chris Hogan? All undrafted free agents who got their biggest paychecks in new England.

He’s talking about drafting/taking UDFA‘s and letting them walk. Not paying people in FA.

I'm not seeing it either. Anyone who signs with another team is not going to say, "I really wanted to go to this team, but the team that signed me will do for now."

This is about money. Anyone who thinks otherwise has an axe to grind.

It was about money sure but it's not unreasonable to suggest other factors could have played a part. Like, him not wanting to be here anymore.

No i used the multi quote function to bring it over... I got no problem with admitting I was wrong. I wildly overestimated his value. Thought he was a 15m a year player. Swing and a miss, as they say. Its why I post here vs working at Foxborough.

if I worked at fofborough, meyers would still be here, and most likely, a richer man than he will be tomorrow.

Oh yeah I thought he would sign for more too... My own final offer to him would've been $50M/4 years, $25M guaranteed...

And what kind of message does this send to the other UDFAs & draft picks who are also out-performing their rookie status?

Oh yeah I thought he would sign for more too... My own final offer to him would've been $50M/4 years, $25M guaranteed...

And what kind of message does this send to the other UDFAs & draft picks who are also out-performing their rookie status?
A poor one... BB used to pay those types of guys... Least on the D side... he really devalues the wr position... Which is strange considering he saw a dynamic wr lead the team to a 16-0 season...

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back