PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Merged] Patriots Quest for the #1 seed in the AFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
did you watch todays game? or last weeks game...or the week before...or the week before...or the week before?

do you really think this Defense is good enough to win 9 straight. do you really think this offense is good enough to win 9 straight?

i certainly hope so but based on 7 games, I will take a playoff appearance

What he said. This team barely beat the Jets. The Jets.

It's pretty clear that the team, as currently playing, is not worthy of competing for one of the top 2 seeds. That's not doom and gloom. That's the reality of the Patriots not being a good football team right now. They're catching a break, because the Ravens and Steelers are racked by injuries, the Colts are in full rebuild mode, and the AFC is down overall, but that doesn't mean that they are anything approaching worthy right now.

It's the "5" gloating for being better looking than the "2s and 3s". In the meantime, the other conference has a bunch of "8s" and a "9" or two.

It's almost identical to last year. The pats were say a 5 or 6 that emerged from the "2s and 3s" AFC, with a joke schedule to be the #1 seed. They then faced a 5 in the superbowl and lost a close game. Picture if the Packers or Saints last year played to their potential and reached the SB vs. us, ouch.

Last edited:
Also just like last year, the list of QBs ahead of us isn't that scary...

Alex Smith (Ultimate game manager)
Andrew Luck (31st rated QB)
Mark Sanchez (30th ranked QB)
Matt Schaub (Good, not elite)
Ryan Fitzpatrick (Mediocre)
Ryan Tannehill (29th rated QB)
Sam Bradford (Below average/bad)

...then again our defense makes any QB look scary....

Anything is possible, though at this point in time, I believe the 2 seed is the best this Patriots team can achieve. That's not bad at all, think about it - we have been the 1 seed the past 2 seasons.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on this team. Not even close. Injuries have plagued this team from the beginning. Even if they're playing, Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Lloyd, Mankins, Vollmer, and others are all hurting. Come the Bye week, they will be able to get the rest they desperately need.

Historically, Bill always has the Patriots playing much better come Thanksgiving than he does in October. Besides, it's always best to peak in November/December than now, right?

I expect the defense to tighten up and find some solutions. There won't be drastic improvement, but there will be improvement. The offense will find its groove, and it will carry this team again.

They always say, you never know what you truly have until Thanksgiving.

LOL... I'm just looking for them to make the playoffs.

Someone would like a word with you...

jimmora.jpeg

Looking way ahead - the road to #1 seed

We absolutely have to win out, which includes beating the Texans and 49ers in consecutive weeks at home.

The Texans play at Chicago Sunday night Week 10, which if they lose would give them 2 losses, and if we beat them we would have identical records but own the tiebreaker.

The Ravens can very easily lose at least 2 more (they would have the tiebreaker over us with 3 losses): they still have to play Pittsburgh twice, they host Denver and the Giants, and have to go to Cincinatti where the Bengals have played them tough recently.

I'll go so far as to say that if we win out, we will have the #1 seed.

Re: Looking way ahead - the road to #1 seed

Good analysis. Its definately possible but it will certainly be tough to beat both Texas and San Fran consecutively. Our toughness will be tested and we would have to bring our A-games for those weeks.

Atleast they are home games, in cold December against a sunshine team and a dome team.

I think you are looking way too far ahead my friend, Our secondary still sucks and we can expect all the remaining teams on our schedule to go for a lot of deep balls .......

Win out? Given the ****ty first half of the season, I'd consider 11-5 overachieving.

Win out? Given the ****ty first half of the season, I'd consider 11-5 overachieving.

We're 5-3 and lost all 3 games collectively by 4 points dude.

We're 5-3 and lost all 3 games collectively by 4 points dude.

It is highly possible that they go 2-2 @NYJ, @ MIA and home vs HOU and SF.

However, it is also possible that if they play to their potential that they can go 4-0 and run the table.

Denver actually is a team to keep an eye on. Their schedule looks as easy down the stretch as ours...... NE has the tie breaker advantage over them, but if we drop one to HOU or SF, who knows, DEN could make it interesting in the race for a bye.

Last edited:
Denver actually is a team to keep an eye on. Their schedule looks as easy down the stretch as ours...... NE has the tie breaker advantage over them, but if we drop one to HOU or SF, who knows, DEN could make it interesting in the race for a bye.

Even if Denver gets a 1st round bye, their getting bounced out by either us, the Ravens or Steelers in the very next round. If we don't get the #2 seed, I hope and pray the Broncos do.

Even if Denver gets a 1st round bye, their getting bounced out by either us, the Ravens or Steelers in the very next round. If we don't get the #2 seed, I hope and pray the Broncos do.

i don't see the broncos getting bounced by the ravens or steelers. i hope that they miss the playoffs altogether, because they are playing great football. peyton is getting in the groove and could be dangerous down the stretch.

i don't see the broncos getting bounced by the ravens or steelers. i hope that they miss the playoffs altogether, because they are playing great football. peyton is getting in the groove and could be dangerous down the stretch.

:confused:

They're 4-3. They beat a Steelers team that had an injured Polamalu and Clark on the sidelines. Outside of that, they've beaten a bunch of nothing teams:

SD (3-4)
OAK (3-4)
NO (2-5)

They might make the playoffs because they're in the AFCW. If they do make it in, they'll probably be the worst, or second worst, team to make it from either conference.

When it comes to the #2 seed after Houston .... Denver is the team to watch.

They have a cakewalk sked the rest of the way. I could see them winning out easily.

@ Cincinnati
@ Carolina
vs San Diego
@ Kansas City
vs Tampa Bay
@ Oakland
@ Baltimore
vs Cleveland
vs Kansas City

We`ll probably get the number 2 seed and I am fine with that.

umm,

FIRST OFF:
if you do not see any merit in this thread, or the subsequent discussion about the #1 seed, stay the hell out of the thread, those of us who clearly understood the simple yet descriptive thread title came to it for a serious conversation, and your comments do no more than waste space and time

SECOND OFF:
the OP CLEARLY said that he's not implying what will happen but what is possible, so stop whining

THIRD OFF:
for those of you who are already saying that we are out of the #1 seed, go learn how to be a real fan

This is really big game Sunday night in regards to the #1 seed, hoping the Bears can beat the Texans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back