PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McClellin could return to practice this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think of KVN as being most optimally used in primarily an ILB role, with occasional snaps off the edge. With no decent OLB help flanking him for much of this season so far, I think he's been forced to assume some duties for which he's not best-suited.

With both HT and McClellin back, I think that ought to "fix" a lot of things. For one thing, it should allow for Roberts' role to be reduced even further to early-down run-stopper. We might even see some of Harris going forward.

The value of Valentine returning should also not be underestimated wrt run-D and pass-D improvement for the LBs.

I somehow doubt that a player who keeps getting exploited for the same things over and over again is someone that BB thinks highly of. Not sure where you have this from. To me he seems to be exactly what Lombardi calls a card player; someone looks impressive in practice when he is told exactly what to do (reading the cards) but then during the game just has issues processing all the information in front of him so his abilities never fully translate on the field.

Either way, in the absence of an actual alternative I doubt that we will give up on him anyway. That being said I honestly wonder how much worse Harris is compared to Roberts because I just dont see how the margin between those two can be that large really.

I have to wonder if, once both HT and McClellin are available to flank and "protect" him, if we won't see more of Harris and less of Roberts.

This will be good. Shea KVN Hightower sounds a lot better than Richards/Roberts...

Be good to have that core again, and hopefully find another good LB in the draft. Which there is a few in this years draft.

Well, that's the current rumor going around.

However, McClellin didn't practice for most of Camp and then was put on IR. If it's taken him all that time to get over a concussion, he probably shouldn't be playing, period.

Given the eyewitness reports that he's been in the locker room on a regular basis and the implication from BB that he could begin practicing this week, I have to think that the major issue with McClellin was something else entirely.

yeah that's my feeling too, although Brian Stork also started his 2nd season in the IR with the designation to return (only one player allowed at the time) due to a concussion/neck issue.

That's pretty much what I'm guessing: there was some longer term issue with McClellin (neck, shoulder, severe groin pull, whatever) and, perhaps additionally, a concussion issue in the mix somewhere along the line.

I somehow doubt that a player who keeps getting exploited for the same things over and over again is someone that BB thinks highly of. Not sure where you have this from. To me he seems to be exactly what Lombardi calls a card player; someone looks impressive in practice when he is told exactly what to do (reading the cards) but then during the game just has issues processing all the information in front of him so his abilities never fully translate on the field.

Either way, in the absence of an actual alternative I doubt that we will give up on him anyway. That being said I honestly wonder how much worse Harris is compared to Roberts because I just dont see how the margin between those two can be that large really.
Well if you recall he felt highly enough about him to trade Collins won a Superbowl with him playing.
There's no doubt the entire defense is underperforming Matt Patricia's star has fallen.
However as a poster stated when he's right he makes big plays when he's wrong he gives up big plays.
However unlike Collins he doesnt seem to be freelancing he's just guessing wrong.
Where with enough film study and reps he could make the right decision ala Bruschi or Zach Thomas because that's how his huilt compares him to as a player.
I'm not saying he will ever be as savy or productive as those studs but he has potential to be good to very good.
I forget what game it was but BB took the time to give creidit to Roberts even when media was bashing him.
Now if BB thought he was awful he wouldn't play simple as that.
I understand BB does things for different reasons including talking up or underselling players with big heads.
So take it with a grain of salt however when he blitzed the gap and got right in Newtons face and Newton should of had a safety for throwing the ball nowhere near a receiver that's the kind of flash play he can give us and honestly we need plays like that in spades to turn this unit around.
I'm not saying he's the solution or the problem I'm saying let's give him time since BB is willing to do so.
David Harris not seeing the field is bizare to say the least it hurts to have a roster spot wasted if he will never suit up.
That being said man I wish we would of kept Daryl Roberts and AJ Derby last season.

Well if you recall he felt highly enough about him to trade Collins won a Superbowl with him playing.
There's no doubt the entire defense is underperforming Matt Patricia's star has fallen.
However as a poster stated when he's right he makes big plays when he's wrong he gives up big plays.
However unlike Collins he doesnt seem to be freelancing he's just guessing wrong.
Where with enough film study and reps he could make the right decision ala Bruschi or Zach Thomas because that's how his huilt compares him to as a player.
I'm not saying he will ever be as savy or productive as those studs but he has potential to be good to very good.
I forget what game it was but BB took the time to give creidit to Roberts even when media was bashing him.
Now if BB thought he was awful he wouldn't play simple as that.
I understand BB does things for different reasons including talking up or underselling players with big heads.
So take it with a grain of salt however when he blitzed the gap and got right in Newtons face and Newton should of had a safety for throwing the ball nowhere near a receiver that's the kind of flash play he can give us and honestly we need plays like that in spades to turn this unit around.
I'm not saying he's the solution or the problem I'm saying let's give him time since BB is willing to do so.
David Harris not seeing the field is bizare to say the least it hurts to have a roster spot wasted if he will never suit up.
That being said man I wish we would of kept Daryl Roberts and AJ Derby last season.

Roberts had nothing to do with the trade of Collins. If you want to bark at a tree in that case I would bark at KVN.

Roberts is just a liability unless his limitations can be covered by his team mates and schematic things.

Also trading Derby was definitely a plus. He has done nothing substantially positive in this league. Not sure why you would want another big WR with alligator arms who cant block on the team.

KVN is playing much better this year than last year. Maybe McClellin will be better than last year as well.

Roberts had nothing to do with the trade of Collins. If you want to bark at a tree in that case I would bark at KVN.

Roberts is just a liability unless his limitations can be covered by his team mates and schematic things.

Also trading Derby was definitely a plus. He has done nothing substantially positive in this league. Not sure why you would want another big WR with alligator arms who cant block on the team.
Derby gets open and has made some circus catches and missed some easy ones however he is cheaper and seems to have more upside than Allen unless Derby was just never going to develop into a blocker.

Derby gets open and has made some circus catches and missed some easy ones however he is cheaper and seems to have more upside than Allen unless Derby was just never going to develop into a blocker.
Derby can't block and has 9 catches all season.
Derby would be hollister on this team and hollister has more potential.

Better than a 6 Million dollar backup lineman whose posing as a tight end who won’t catch a ball all season

Better than a 6 Million dollar backup lineman whose posing as a tight end who won’t catch a ball all season
Not if the role is to block.

Good news! The less time Roberts and Richards spend on the field the better our defense is going to be.

Good news! The less time Roberts and Richards spend on the field the better our defense is going to be.
Although the hate is rampant Richards has actually played pretty well in the opportunities he has had so far.

However just as what statistically happened in the 1st 6 games has no bearing on the next 10 I'm not convinced I would expect Richards to play as well the rest of the season if called upon especially in a bigger role.

Would have had a couple catches already if that scrub QB of ours could place the ball accurately. Again, if you think he should be anything else than a 25-30 catches guy then it is your own fault you are disappointed.

You answered it yourself. Allen is a TE, Derby is essentially a WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes