PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McClellin could return to practice this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he was playing safety in dime.
If it were nickel a LB would have been in there.
This is like calling a nickel corner a lb

OK. This is a bit above my knowledge level but I think you're technically correct. But from the way I understand it the "Star" LB is a Safety or DB that has some LB characteristics. OR basically a hybrid guy who can play at the Mike (Money) or Sam (Star) positions. Yes that can be in Nickle or Dime coverages.

Tell me what you think.

Here's the thread.

Jordan Richards . and STAR position

Here's Nick Saban explaining it starting at 5:30.

So the info is that he was on IR due to a concussion, so what happens now if he as a LB, very prone to take head hits, suffer another one?

I say bring Shea back and let Harris play too. Maybe between the two, plus KVN/HT/Roberts there's a good mix of LBs that can get the job done (for this season anyway).

He struggles as the mike.( One reason that 335 we experiment with is a debacle. )
But he is versatile. Ok run defender, ok blitzes, ok coverage guy.
No special strengths but no big weaknesses and a high effort evidently smart guy. Roman phifer-ish.

Not true imo. He's been a good LB. Unfortunately he played without Hightower for a few games so may have been somewhat overwhelmed. He had a good game Sunday.

IMO his main weakness ave seen is failing to pick up on play action fast enough. There were quite a few plays in the HOU and CAR games where he bit on a play fake and then dropped into a zone far too late. Chung was having similar issues when he was playing close to the LOS.

No he was playing safety in dime.
If it were nickel a LB would have been in there.
This is like calling a nickel corner a lb
So, he was pretty much just a 3rd safety playing in the box in a dime package, then? Kind of like the equivalent of the big nickel, but in dime. The big dime?

OK. This is a bit above my knowledge level but I think you're technically correct. But from the way I understand it the "Star" LB is a Safety or DB that has some LB characteristics. OR basically a hybrid guy who can play at the Mike (Money) or Sam (Star) positions. Yes that can be in Nickle or Dime coverages.

Tell me what you think.

Here's the thread.

Jordan Richards . and STAR position

Here's Nick Saban explaining it starting at 5:30.

When you play nickel or dime the extra dbs will end up with some LBlike duties.
Richards role in dime equates more like a strong safety in a base d who comes up and plays in the box.

IMO his main weakness ave seen is failing to pick up on play action fast enough. There were quite a few plays in the HOU and CAR games where he bit on a play fake and then dropped into a zone far too late. Chung was having similar issues when he was playing close to the LOS.
That's a dilemma for everyone who has ever played LB.

So, he was pretty much just a 3rd safety playing in the box in a dime package, then? Kind of like the equivalent of the big nickel, but in dime. The big dime?
Yeah. I mean when you play dime the extra safety plays a role somewhat similar to a LB but it's still a db.

We actually ran a base of 326 with 4 safeties against KC. Definiteky playing that as a base causes the extra safeties to have LB-ish duties but it's still a safety and a dime.

That's a dilemma for everyone who has ever played LB.

For sure. I just saw TE and offensive tackle pass keys that they failed to pick up on. Of course it is way easier in hindsight.

Yeah. I mean when you play dime the extra safety plays a role somewhat similar to a LB but it's still a db.

We actually ran a base of 326 with 4 safeties against KC. Definiteky playing that as a base causes the extra safeties to have LB-ish duties but it's still a safety and a dime.

Week 3 we also ran what I would described as a "4-3 nickel". Personal of 4 DL, 2 LB, 3 CB, 2 Safeties. Chung came down into the box standing alongside the 2 LBs. Chung in this role might be an example of the star.

Week 3 we also ran what I would described as a "4-3 nickel". Personal of 4 DL, 2 LB, 3 CB, 2 Safeties. Chung came down into the box standing alongside the 2 LBs. Chung in this role might be an example of the star.
That's pretty much out base now.
I hate the 335 we've been running but we seem to be limiting it a lot. It's ok on 3rd down but we get beat up on early downs.

Never thought much of McClellin but he can help us. I think Elandon Roberts has mostly sucked this season and if Shea is an improvement, I'll gladly take it.

I was encouraged by KVN last game. It seems that Belichick thinks highly of him given the extension. Ultimately it is the same LB group that we won a Super Bowl with. I'll be happy with less Roberts as long as McClellin plays OK.

I think some of you guys are being really harsh on KVN. He's playing pretty good. He's not good enough to cover up things without Hightower and he's had some mistakes but he makes plays.

Roberts on the other hand IMO has been the disappointmemt. I thought he would add to his game a little bit but seems he's nothing more than a Spikes type run guy and he's no Spikes at that (at points last year he was).

Roberts on the other hand IMO has been the disappointmemt. I thought he would add to his game a little bit but seems he's nothing more than a Spikes type run guy and he's no Spikes at that (at points last year he was).

Yep. We have been discussing him for a while as big weak spot.

My biggest problem with Roberts isnt even his inability to cover because being NFL-level good at that is very, very hard and often takes even highly talented LBs (eg. Shazier) a few seasons. His most glaring weakness is just his inconsistency against the run because he relies so much on his instincts. When he reads it right he looks great but when he doesnt he can blow up your entire scheme and allow big plays. The Fozzy Whittaker screen against the Panthers is the best example of that.

You rather have the guy who consistently gives up 3-4 yards than one that has a 50/50 (or maybe even worse) chance at stopping someone behind the LOS or giving up big plays.

Yep. We have been discussing him for a while as big weak spot.

My biggest problem with Roberts isnt even his inability to cover because being NFL-level good at that is very, very hard and often takes even highly talented LBs (eg. Shazier) a few seasons. His most glaring weakness is just his inconsistency against the run because he relies so much on his instincts. When he reads it right he looks great but when he doesnt he can blow up your entire scheme and allow big plays. The Fozzy Whittaker screen against the Panthers is the best example of that.

You rather have the guy who consistently gives up 3-4 yards than one that has a 50/50 (or maybe even worse) chance at stopping someone behind the LOS or giving up big plays.
I don't want to give up on Roberts Belichivk thinks highly of him.

I don't want to give up on Roberts Belichivk thinks highly of him.

I somehow doubt that a player who keeps getting exploited for the same things over and over again is someone that BB thinks highly of. Not sure where you have this from. To me he seems to be exactly what Lombardi calls a card player; someone looks impressive in practice when he is told exactly what to do (reading the cards) but then during the game just has issues processing all the information in front of him so his abilities never fully translate on the field.

Either way, in the absence of an actual alternative I doubt that we will give up on him anyway. That being said I honestly wonder how much worse Harris is compared to Roberts because I just dont see how the margin between those two can be that large really.

KVN is a supporting player who has been cast into a lead role, he is adequate, but not great...

Thought last week he had a much better game than he did in the previous 5...

So the info is that he was on IR due to a concussion, so what happens now if he as a LB, very prone to take head hits, suffer another one?

Well, that's the current rumor going around.

However, McClellin didn't practice for most of Camp and then was put on IR. If it's taken him all that time to get over a concussion, he probably shouldn't be playing, period.

Given the eyewitness reports that he's been in the locker room on a regular basis and the implication from BB that he could begin practicing this week, I have to think that the major issue with McClellin was something else entirely.

He struggles as the mike.( One reason that 335 we experiment with is a debacle. )
But he is versatile. Ok run defender, ok blitzes, ok coverage guy.
No special strengths but no big weaknesses and a high effort evidently smart guy. Roman phifer-ish.
2001 Roman would easily be the 2nd best LB on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes