PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Patricia likely to take Lions or Giants HC job (UPDATE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take - whether it's players or coaches Belichick attracts the best and the brightest by showing he wants to help them in their careers - assuming they play by his rules

What would be a no no is leaving the Pats for an AFC team - most especially an AFC East team a la Mangini

But heading off to the great NFC is a different matter

As a guy with the balls to call out a corrupt Comissioner by wearing that T shirt, I wish Patricia nothing but the best. One hopes Steve Belichick or another in the wings is ready to take over as DC!

Based upon what? Certainly not the results.
Against who?
Did you watch the 2015 Bills D

Jets
2009 - 1st Overall D: #1 Passing D, #8 Rushing D
2010 - 3rd Overall D: #6 Passing D, #3 Rushing D
2011 - 5th Overall D: #5 Passing D, #13 Rushing D
2012 - 8th Overall D: #2 Passing D, #26 Rushing D
2013 - 11th Overall D: #22 Passing D, #3 Rushing D
2014 - 6th Overall D: #14 Passing D, #5 Rushing D

He had worse defenses in Buffalo (15th-20th range) but it's still impressive to see that Ryan was one of the finest defensive minds during his time with the Jets.

Jets

He had worse defenses in Buffalo (15th-20th range) but it's still impressive to see that Ryan was one of the finest defensive minds during his time with the Jets.
He had talent to work with. The league caught up to him.

His teams allowed 28ppg to the NEP.

Hopefully we win the SB and send him off with a parting gift

Jets

Points allowed rankings

2 of 8 years could even be considered above average.

Points allowed rankings

2 of 8 years could even be considered above average.
More so because of a problematic offense

More so because of a problematic offense
No. Good defenses aren’t 20th in points allowed because of their offense.
They allowed points because of the way he coached. He sold out to take something away and exposed his defense to allowing big plays and his defense sucked in the clutch. That is why he never won and why he was fired twice.

The irony is the stars you posted are the ones he cared about and led to him allowing more points and failing.

No. Good defenses aren’t 20th in points allowed because of their offense.
They allowed points because of the way he coached. He sold out to take something away and exposed his defense to allowing big plays and his defense sucked in the clutch. That is why he never won and why he was fired twice.

The irony is the stars you posted are the ones he cared about and led to him allowing more points and failing.

2009 - 1st Overall D: #1 Passing D, #8 Rushing D --> 20th ranked offense
2010 - 3rd Overall D: #6 Passing D, #3 Rushing D --> 11th ranked offense
2011 - 5th Overall D: #5 Passing D, #13 Rushing D --> 25th ranked offense
2012 - 8th Overall D: #2 Passing D, #26 Rushing D --> 30th ranked offense
2013 - 11th Overall D: #22 Passing D, #3 Rushing D --> 25th ranked offense

I have nothing to say about Ryan's offense - that's not what I'm talking about. I'm saying that his defenses performed admirably based on how horrible the offenses were. An offense that ranks among the worst in the league is never going to make it easy for the defense. To put a modern perspective of this, of all the current NFL teams ranked from 23 - 32 in net offense, only 1 was able to finish in the Top 10 of total defense. When defenses are required to stay on the field for extended portions of time due to pitiful offenses, things usually don't go so well. I believe that some mentioned that the Jets had surrendered 28 pts per game against the Patriots during their meetings, but that's forgetting that the Patriots had averaged:

09 - 25.9 ppg
10 - 31.7 ppg
11 - 32.3 ppg
12 - 33.9 ppg
13 - 27.9 ppg

It's not too shabby that Ryan-led defenses were able to hold the Patriots teams to ~3 pts slightly below their game averages over the season.

To clarify, I'm not a Rex Ryan fan or anything. I'm just pointing out that he's a defensive mind who wouldn't be a bad addition to the team (despite it being extremely unlikely).

I have nothing to say about Ryan's offense - that's not what I'm talking about. I'm saying that his defenses performed admirably based on how horrible the offenses were. An offense that ranks among the worst in the league is never going to make it easy for the defense. To put a modern perspective of this, of all the current NFL teams ranked from 23 - 32 in net offense, only 1 was able to finish in the Top 10 of total defense. When defenses are required to stay on the field for extended portions of time due to pitiful offenses, things usually don't go so well. I believe that some mentioned that the Jets had surrendered 28 pts per game against the Patriots during their meetings, but that's forgetting that the Patriots had averaged:

09 - 25.9 ppg
10 - 31.7 ppg
11 - 32.3 ppg
12 - 33.9 ppg
13 - 27.9 ppg

It's not too shabby that Ryan-led defenses were able to hold the Patriots teams to ~3 pts slightly below their game averages over the season.

To clarify, I'm not a Rex Ryan fan or anything. I'm just pointing out that he's a defensive mind who wouldn't be a bad addition to the team (despite it being extremely unlikely).
Yeah we will agree to disagree then because you will never convince me that yards allowed are more important than points allowed until they start deciding games by yardage.

And to get the facts straight Ryan allowed 440 points in 16 games vs Brady. That is 27.5 ppg. During that time the patriots averaged 29.8.
If your answer is that Ryan is a great defensive coach because he was overall average against everyone but held the patriots to 2 points less than their average while losing 12 of 17 again we will agree to disagree.

09 - 25.9 ppg
10 - 31.7 ppg
11 - 32.3 ppg
12 - 33.9 ppg
13 - 27.9 ppg

Oh god I just saw the last sentence. You want belichick to hire him???

There's only two reasons to not take that job.

1. Detroit
2. The lions

Yeah I thought they were the bad news Lions. Green Bay and Minnesota will still be well ahead of them and Chicago not too far.

My take - whether it's players or coaches Belichick attracts the best and the brightest by showing he wants to help them in their careers - assuming they play by his rules

What would be a no no is leaving the Pats for an AFC team - most especially an AFC East team a la Mangini

But heading off to the great NFC is a different matter

As a guy with the balls to call out a corrupt Comissioner by wearing that T shirt, I wish Patricia nothing but the best. One hopes Steve Belichick or another in the wings is ready to take over as DC!
Good post, although I think Steve Belichick is at least a few years away from taking over as DC. It would be Flores.

The only scenario I could possibly see would be if Belichick didn’t name anyone a DC for the next couple of seasons, while slowly grooming Steve for the job in 2020 or something like that. He’d certainly have to spend a lot of time with him though, as Steve was just finally promoted to a positional coach in the last year or two. He’s not ready for that yet, at least in my opinion. I’ve seen many posters suggest him though, so it’s certainly a popular thought.

I was actually hoping that the Jets would be dumb enough to dump Todd Bowles, and that he’d get some consideration for DC here, although I’m not sure how likely it would be to bring an outsider into the organization in that scenario.

I just think Bowles is not only a decent defensive coach who has proven himself in ARZ, but he’s also a no nonsense, straight up guy who commands respect and keeps to himself. I don’t recall any situations where he attempted to make excuses and I think he’d have fit into the culture well, here. As far as any outside candidates go, he’d have been on my list.

The city itself, its not far off from the original Robocop.

Based on recent personal experience? I have a couple dozen relatives and friends who live and/or work in the city who'd disagree with that characterization.

Jets

The stats of the first 3 years are inflated because the Jets went all in, mortgaging their future. Even after dumping 11.5 million in a sleezy provision in the new CBA, they only just recovered in the last couple years from the salary cap hell caused by it.

The suggestion of Rex Ryan to the Pats is laughable at best.. it defies the way this organization does business, Schiano(real longshot if everyone else goes) seems more viable as he does not seem to like the spotlight as much as Ryan does..

Detroit is a good opportunity for Matty P. , not a Stafford fan, but he is better than most QB's out there... Defensively the Lions seem somewhat challenged, but Patricia is known to do a lot without much talent.. It is also Bob Quinn's lair, so Patricia can learn the landscape quickly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes