PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Patricia likely to take Lions or Giants HC job (UPDATE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes good but I fear ownership will sink him in Detroit. I will say he has done a good job cooking with some not so special groceries with this years defense.

Hope we can keep Mcdaniels now although it will be tough.

All the local articles and social media have Matty Patty all but wrapped up as the next Lions coach. I've been waiting 60 years for a good team but i'm not sure it's going to happen even with an ex-Partiot for a HC. In the mean time my other favriote team is doing ok..
The Fords have been the worst owners in the NFL until Haslam came along and bought the Browns.

All the local articles and social media have Matty Patty all but wrapped up as the next Lions coach. I've been waiting 60 years for a good team but i'm not sure it's going to happen even with an ex-Partiot for a HC. In the mean time my other favriote team is doing ok..
The Fords have been the worst owners in the NFL until Haslam came along and bought the Browns.
The Lions have had good teams in the last 60 years.

The Lions have had good teams in the last 60 years.

Since William Clay Effing Ford bought the Lions 54 years ago on November 22, 1963, they've had 16 winning seasons and 12 playoff appearances. Barry Sanders quit football while still in his prime when he finally got sick of Ford being more interested in having his own way with everything than in building a winning team.

I hear ya. I lived in and around Detroit from the late-50s thru 2000 (moved to New England from A2 just a couple months before the Pats drafted Brady).

Probably a bit of wishful thinking on the part of local Detroit media, but who knows?

Now that the old bastard has been dead for a couple years and can no longer call in his favorite, situationally inappropriate draw play from the press box (I don't think he can call that one in from the grave, anyway), Junior may be turning things over to actual football people a bit more. Hiring Quinn (at least partly on the recommendation of Accorsi) seems like a positive step. Seems like he'd be more willing to allow Patricia a lot more authority in the grocery buying process than most GMs might.

Interesting that they sacked Prince along with Caldwell.

Interesting collection of defensive assistants, too, with Sheridan, Cunningham and Godsey.

Harold Nash as Strength & Conditioning Coach with 18 guys on IR this season ...

Overall, it may not be a bad situation for Patricia.

Since William Clay Effing Ford bought the Lions 54 years ago on November 22, 1963, they've had 16 winning seasons and 12 playoff appearances. Barry Sanders quit football while still in his prime when he finally got sick of Ford being more interested in having his own way with everything than in building a winning team.

I hear ya. I lived in and around Detroit from the late-50s thru 2000 (moved to New England from A2 just a couple months before the Pats drafted Brady).

Probably a bit of wishful thinking on the part of local Detroit media, but who knows?

Now that the old bastard has been dead for a couple years and can no longer call in his favorite, situationally inappropriate draw play from the press box (I don't think he can call that one in from the grave, anyway), Junior may be turning things over to actual football people a bit more. Hiring Quinn (at least partly on the recommendation of Accorsi) seems like a positive step. Seems like he'd be more willing to allow Patricia a lot more authority in the grocery buying process than most GMs might.

Interesting that they sacked Prince along with Caldwell.

Interesting collection of defensive assistants, too, with Sheridan, Cunningham and Godsey.

Harold Nash as Strength & Conditioning Coach with 18 guys on IR this season ...

Overall, it may not be a bad situation for Patricia.
Ford sucks but the Lions have had good teams. They went to the NFCCG in 1991.

What gets lost in the Patricia discussion a bit is that it would not just be MP leaving. He would most probably try to take some of the lower level coaches with him. This is also why I would love if not both MP and Josh leave at the same time because otherwise it will leave to a personnel drain on both sides of the ball..

Which brings me to my bold prediction of the hiring season.. I think Stephen Belichick will be on the Lions staff next year.

Out of the shadow of his father in the same organization...

Ford sucks but the Lions have had good teams. They went to the NFCCG in 1991.

They have had a lot of very good players, but only a handful of good teams. And their W-L record would've been better if Ford had quit meddling.

Yeah, I was glued to the tube for their divisional round upset drubbing of the Cowboys (their first post-season win in 34 years), as well as their season-bookend, blowout loss to the Skins.

Their 1991 season success was due in large part to backup QB, Erik "Brass Balls" Kramer being able to take over for injured starter Rodney Peete. Kramer earned his nickname from his OL because he consistently ignored plays called in from the owner's box and ran what he and his teammates knew would work instead.

In spite of Kramer's success, he mostly rode the pine the next two seasons behind Peete and Ware and was allowed to walk to the Bears in 1994. In 1995, he set the Bears records for passing yards and passing TDs that still stand today. Meanwhile, the Lions ended up signing MIA backup QB, Scott Mitchell as their starter for about double what the Bears were paying Kramer. Mitchell was roughly the equivalent of Ryan Mallett.

Hope we can keep Mcdaniels now although it will be tough.
I can't get excited about Josh McDaniels as our HC for some reason. I'd actually rather he go and we have no heir apparent in the system. Call it a prejudice, but I want a defensive guy as Head Coach. I think it's easier to coach great offense than it is to coach great defense

They have had a lot of very good players, but only a handful of good teams. And their W-L record would've been better if Ford had quit meddling.

Yeah, I was glued to the tube for their divisional round upset drubbing of the Cowboys (their first post-season win in 34 years), as well as their season-bookend, blowout loss to the Skins.

Their 1991 season success was due in large part to backup QB, Erik "Brass Balls" Kramer being able to take over for injured starter Rodney Peete. Kramer earned his nickname from his OL because he consistently ignored plays called in from the owner's box and ran what he and his teammates knew would work instead.

In spite of Kramer's success, he mostly rode the pine the next two seasons behind Peete and Ware and was allowed to walk to the Bears in 1994. In 1995, he set the Bears records for passing yards and passing TDs that still stand today. Meanwhile, the Lions ended up signing MIA backup QB, Scott Mitchell as their starter for about double what the Bears were paying Kramer..

Agree. The poster said the Lions have not had a good team in 60 years. He was wrong. They have. Just not frequently

Mitchell was roughly the equivalent of Ryan Mallett.

Thats a stretch. I remember Scott Mitchell when he was with MIA and throwing to Herman Moore and Johnnie Morton in DET. He had was a lot better than Mallett. With that said he was an average QB with a couple of above average years.

Agree. The poster said the Lions have not had a good team in 60 years. He was wrong. They have. Just not frequently

Thats a stretch. I remember Scott Mitchell when he was with MIA and throwing to Herman Moore and Johnnie Morton in DET. He had was a lot better than Mallett. With that said he was an average QB with a couple of above average years.

Having lived through the Scott Mitchell years in Detroit (and a long time before that and a bit after), I'm inclined to be, um, a bit uncharitable.

Having lived through the Scott Mitchell years in Detroit (and a long time before that and a bit after), I'm inclined to be, um, a bit uncharitable.

Wasn't he on some fat loss show and weighed 400lbs?

Which brings me to my bold prediction of the hiring season.. I think Stephen Belichick will be on the Lions staff next year.

Out of the shadow of his father in the same organization...
I hate to speculate on top of your speculation, but I don’t think that situation would bode well for Belichick sticking around too many more seasons. One can assume that he gets something positive out of working with him and that he is helping him to get adjusted to a bigger role.

So much for the "he'll never get a job because he's fat, has a beard, and wore the clown shirt" crowd.

It will be good for him. That seems like a positive situation that is getting better with a good GM and some talented pieces on defense.

For us, I think the future is bright. Flores would seem to be the likely successor, IF he doesn't leave with either Josh or Matt. As for vet coaches, how about Greg Schianno, who BB obviously loves as a coach. He's be a possibility too.
/Somebody/ has to rehabilitate Schianno. He's in the ****ter currently. Who better than his pal Bill?

I hate to speculate on top of your speculation, but I don’t think that situation would bode well for Belichick sticking around too many more seasons. One can assume that he gets something positive out of working with him and that he is helping him to get adjusted to a bigger role.

There is always a second Belichick. But yeah I get what you are saying. But given how BB paid his dues and got around quite a lot on his NFL coaching journey I am sure that his sons will most probably do the same sooner or later.

/Somebody/ has to rehabilitate Schianno. He's in the ****ter currently. Who better than his pal Bill?
And OSU did just recently hire a co-coordinator for the defense, so maybe they are covering themselves in case he leaves. I think he’s there for one more year, myself.

There is always a second Belichick. But yeah I get what you are saying. But given how BB paid his dues and got around quite a lot on his NFL coaching journey I am sure that his sons will most probably do the same sooner or later.
I have had that thought for a while that it would be a good ideas if Steven goes off and does a few years with someone else in order to broaden his experience before he comes back as a coordinator sometime in the future.

He's coaches S's now, so let him go off and be someone's LB coach for a while, and later a DL coach. That when he'll be ready to come back

I have had that thought for a while that it would be a good ideas if Steven goes off and does a few years with someone else in order to broaden his experience before he comes back as a coordinator sometime in the future.

He's coaches S's now, so let him go off and be someone's LB coach for a while, and later a DL coach. That when he'll be ready to come back
Id rather not lose the Belichildren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back