PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Martellus Bennett placed on Injured Reserve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bennett’s a Patriot. Hope he and the team can work something out from here.

Agree with the bold.

Not sure what you mean with the rest, GB had signed him to a multi year contract, so he is still a Patriot in 18. .? ? ?

I'd guess Grissom as the additional STer, since he has the most experience.

If they want a passing target from the PS, besides Cody Hollister (on the PS since the get-go), there's also WR/PR Riley McCarron (on the PS since Sep-22) or TE Will Tye (on the PS since Oct-12).

Or, they could activate Mitchell from IR if he's far enough along.
Forgot about Will Tye, he’s be a nice addition if he’s learned the playbook.

I am surprise a guy like Gary Barnidge wasn't picked up. He played for a crappy browns team and put up decent numbers.

Cheaper than Michael Floyd last year, who we paid $1.25m just to make a block for Edelman's 77 yard TD run.
To be fair, that was a legit $1.25m block. That TD he dragged half the Fins D in for was beasty too. Glad he didn’t have to suit up for playoffs, but was nice insurance in case Dola/MM hadn’t been able to.

On the Bennett side, wouldn’t mind seeing him back next year if he wants one more go...contract at current number probably not happening though.

oh well, that was a good 4 catches....although the best thing he may have done is light a fire under allen

Interesting possible footnote to roster changes this week ...

OT Andrew Jelks (6057/309 UDFA from Vanderbilt), who's been on the NFI list, began practicing with the team on 11/7 and must be activated by 4pm tomorrow (Tuesday) or his season ends on IR.

Bennett caught all three of his targets in each game; 6 of 6 for 53 yards in his two games active (24 total snaps).

True MaineM but I believe he had one catch that went for 28 where the Broncos seemed to simply forget he was on the Patriots. Wide open and open field ahead of him. The rest of his catches were 5 for about 25. Marty has skills but it seemed pretty obvious (or at least to these eyes) he was definitely not any where near MB 2016. We could have used him (we really could have used him healthy!) but based on what I saw this isn't a big loss to the O.

When's the deadline to start Mitchell or Valentine practicing?

Good question QM, I've been looking for that answer and the best I answer I can come up with: anytime the teams wants to (assumingly up to week 17). Points of fact for 'IR Return' I found (take it with a grain of salt -- the info could be wrong):

- a player must be on the 53-man roster in Week 1 to be eligible for the IR designation to return.
- Players must remain on IR for eight weeks before being eligible to rejoin their teams
- Teams can bring back any two players they've placed on IR at any time after the eight week mandate

Based on this (A) if there is no deadline to activate anyone, why the rush it with Shane M? Sounds like either a mistake of the Patriots med staff or BB felt the risk had to be taken due to thinness at LB. (B) IF MM and VV are both healthy enough to return and they can be activated at any time, BB may be waiting to see what position is needed more. Is there an injury at DT/NT or WR will dictate. Why not use that as a kind of shadow roster?

Yeah, I just read that on Rotoworld
I wonder if he will be back next year
My inkling is no, but I don't know the man personally. Maybe the Pats can talk him into playing one more after this one.

Jones was one of my FA binkies back in TC. On paper he has great size and I thought he could develop into one of those hybrid LB/S types who can play the run and cover TE's and RB's in coverage

Good question QM, I've been looking for that answer and the best I answer I can come up with: anytime the teams wants to (assumingly up to week 17). Points of fact for 'IR Return' I found (take it with a grain of salt -- the info could be wrong):

- a player must be on the 53-man roster in Week 1 to be eligible for the IR designation to return.
- Players must remain on IR for eight weeks before being eligible to rejoin their teams
- Teams can bring back any two players they've placed on IR at any time after the eight week mandate

Based on this (A) if there is no deadline to activate anyone, why the rush it with Shane M? Sounds like either a mistake of the Patriots med staff or BB felt the risk had to be taken due to thinness at LB. (B) IF MM and VV are both healthy enough to return and they can be activated at any time, BB may be waiting to see what position is needed more. Is there an injury at DT/NT or WR will dictate. Why not use that as a kind of shadow roster?

Or it may be that BB knows that only one of the remaining two (MM or VV) will be healthy enough to return and therefore took a shot with SM. If not that was a curious decision from my perspective to lose that designation on a player that went right back on the IR.

I can confirm: (A) late October, approx., was the final moment for sending players to IR that could be then returned and (B) the return can be designated anytime before week 17's game (or I should say that is according to a snippet from a sports mailbag). (C) Shane M, VV, MM are/were the players that meet/met eligibility.
Side note: in my search I found some positive pundit snippets about VV's preseason play before his final preseason game knee injury.

Or it may be that BB knows that only one of the remaining two (MM or VV) will be healthy enough to return and therefore took a shot with SM. If not that was a curious decision from my perspective to lose that designation on a player that went right back on the IR.

Maybe Tony. I still think it comes down to need. WR and DT were not conspicuously thin. OTOH JHFC losing KVN is scary and thank god it looks like this will be just a game or two miss.

Interesting on VV: he hurt his knee in practice before the final preseason game. Two weeks later he was supposedly back at practice, assumingly the med staff thought he was improving, but at practice it was deemed the knee was 'just not right' and he was put on IR.
Based on the story it seems like VV was considered not far from coming back in week 2, there doesn't seem to be a moment of re-injury, and the belief is his knee would simply need more time to heal so IR was best. So unless I have the story wrong (possible) or I missed he had a medical procedure done, it seems his injury is one that you might expect would be healed in less than a season.

Cheaper than Michael Floyd last year, who we paid $1.25m just to make a block for Edelman's 77 yard TD run.
He caught a touchdown too, but I agree with you that Floyd was overrated around these parts and didn’t do much at all.

Too bad about Marty. Not sure he will be back on the current contract but a least the team is in the drivers seat this time. Maybe they find some common ground.

Agree with the bold.

Not sure what you mean with the rest, GB had signed him to a multi year contract, so he is still a Patriot in 18. .? ? ?
I think the concerns are with a big cap hit, talk of retirement, being a bit of a challenge to manage, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back