PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Martellus Bennett placed on Injured Reserve

Status
Not open for further replies.
If his health was not improving/getting worse then not a big deal for the O. While his 2 performances were nice to watch, MB might have given Brady a race for slowest Patriot. His contributions just weren't going to be tangible enough.

Btw, on one of MB's catches he lined up at right TE, play action went right, MB took one step up then ran directly left. He was wide open, Brady short pass hit him and MB looking like he had a piano on his back still ran for some good yards. Last week, exact same play, Allen did the same thing with the same results.
If Allen can contribute a couple catches and block well we are fine when compared to how limited a contribution MB was going to be able to make given his health status.

Word is the hamstring tear did him in according to the Tweets.

Roster spots should open soon for Bennett and Ebner (probably). Who gets moved up from the practice squad ? I would assume Hollister (good special team player to replace Ebner) and probably a defensive player as well.

Need a special teams guy to replace Ebner so I assume that's Grissom.

For Bennett's spot, right now the team has 6 healthy offensive linemen. Maybe Andrews and Cannon will be back next week, but at this point all we know is Waddle is likely out. I expect Bennett's (temporary) replacement to be our buddy James Ferentz (with Croston as the reserve tackle) unless they think Cannon will be healthy.

Word is the hamstring tear did him in according to the Tweets.

No surprise. First game he couldn't catch. Last week he couldn't run or catch. Ah well ...

Roster spots should open soon for Bennett and Ebner (probably). Who gets moved up from the practice squad ? I would assume Hollister (good special team player to replace Ebner) and probably a defensive player as well.

I'd guess Grissom as the additional STer, since he has the most experience.

If they want a passing target from the PS, besides Cody Hollister (on the PS since the get-go), there's also WR/PR Riley McCarron (on the PS since Sep-22) or TE Will Tye (on the PS since Oct-12).

Or, they could activate Mitchell from IR if he's far enough along.

I'd guess Grissom as the additional STer, since he has the most experience.

If they want a passing target from the PS, besides Cody Hollister (on the PS since the get-go), there's also WR/PR Riley McCarron (on the PS since Sep-22) or TE Will Tye (on the PS since Oct-12).

Or, they could activate Mitchell from IR if he's far enough along.

We should hear something about Mitchell soon. It's already 11 games in.

Well, he's probably happy knowing that he'll get another ring this year and will be at the ring ceremony again in June 2018.

I think Patriots give a ring to everyone who contributed during the regular season, as well as everyone on IR. That's correct right? So Edelman will also get a ring when we win.

Bennett caught all three of his targets in each game; 6 of 6 for 53 yards in his two games active (24 total snaps).

Yes. But all of them were thrown low, if you remember -- didn't have to stretch his hands above shoulder level.

Need a special teams guy to replace Ebner so I assume that's Grissom.

For Bennett's spot, right now the team has 6 healthy offensive linemen. Maybe Andrews and Cannon will be back next week, but at this point all we know is Waddle is likely out. I expect Bennett's (temporary) replacement to be our buddy James Ferentz (with Croston as the reserve tackle) unless they think Cannon will be healthy.

agree on Grissom

I assume Geneo Grissom will take the Ebner slot to preserve the special team duties. As long as Cannon and Andrews are ready to go next week, Marty's slot could be filled by either Cody Hollister or Will Tye, depending on where BB feels the need is.

I assume Geneo Grissom will take the Ebner slot to preserve the special team duties. As long as Cannon and Andrews are ready to go next week, Marty's slot could be filled by either Cody Hollister or Will Tye, depending on where BB feels the need is.

There is no reason for Hollister or Tye to be put on the 53 man squad, unless they would be active, which wouldn't be the case if Andrews or Cannon were available.

Belichick might give a player from someone else's PS a 3-week tryout. I believe that Mitchell or Valentine wouldn't be on the 53 for that period of time.

Too bad for Marty B. I hope Dwayne Allen continues and doesn't slack off now. Would still like to see Jacob Hollister involved more.

I think Grissom and Jones or Travis are possible roster replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes