PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Martellus Bennett placed on Injured Reserve

Status
Not open for further replies.
so we got one game out of him and have to pay 6 games worth of salary. looks like a poor move on the Pats part

so we got one game out of him and have to pay 6 games worth of salary. looks like a poor move on the Pats part

Because, unlike every other team, they can't predict hamstring injuries.

Lack of NFL size.

Eh. He just needs to pack on about 15-20 lbs or so at the training table. We keep offering to send him a plate of our chocolate fudge brownies every week, but the Pats insist on knowing the exact ingredients. Not sure why ....

:)

I'm going out on a limb to suggest that we haven't yet seen the best of Dwayne Allen. The fact he has stuck despite his issues tells me they believe in him (they have shown they aren't afraid to cut bait). He shows value as a blocker and can catch a few balls. They ran the ball well on Sunday, which is really what you want most of the time with a 2-tight end set. They are moving the ball well enough that I don't think another dynamic pass-catching TE would make a huge difference.

Well he better show us his best soon or he'll have to take a paycut to hang around in the offseason or get cut. Infact I am pretty sure this is a foregone conclusion (a paycut) no matter what he does for the rest of the season; what's left to determine is how much paycut.

Perhaps, yes, but I think it's more likely that the signing lit a fire under him given. I think that's the natural reaction anyone would have if a team signs/drafts/trades for your potential replacement.

If anything I believe that Bennett coming in gave Allen a chance to focus on fewer things because Marty took some of the responsibilities away from him as a passing option. Hopefully he can build on that..

You must hate Edelman then who didnt play a single game and cashed in substantially more money than Marty..

…and that there is no financial benefit to cutting him.

While true, the benefit to cutting him is opening up a roster spot. If the Pats felt he wasn't helping the team, he'd be gone. We've seen it enough times to know this is true.

Well he better show us his best soon or he'll have to take a paycut to hang around in the offseason or get cut. Infact I am pretty sure this is a foregone conclusion (a paycut) no matter what he does for the rest of the season; what's left to determine is how much paycut.

I think we all know they gave up too much for Allen (in trade compensation and salary), and that he isn't the next AH. (He wasn't even the guy in Indy). Our expectations for the 2nd tight end here are a bit inflated IMO. Do we really need another guy out in space catching passes? The Pats lead the league in yards, passing yards, and are 3rd in PPG. They already have so many matchup nightmares for defenses (no point in listing them all, everyone knows). However, they are currently 10th in RZ scoring percentage and 14th in rushing YPA.

I haven't done the research to determine if those last 2 stats have improved over the course of the season, but I'm guessing they have. If so, does Allen have anything to do with it? If so, and the team goes on to win another ring, I don't care if he never catches another pass.

Last edited:
While true, the benefit to cutting him is opening up a roster spot. If the Pats felt he wasn't helping the team, he'd be gone. We've seen it enough times to know this is true...
They have nobody in the building capable of replacing him, and there's nobody outside the building either, with the possible exception of Gary Barnidge…but why he isn't inside some other team's building is unknown.

When's the deadline to start Mitchell or Valentine practicing?

FWIW, Miguel was asked about Mitchell being designated for return. Here is his answer:
"Will Mitchell be activated to the 53-man roster? My guess is no. I believe Vincent Valentine will be the current player on Injured Reserve who will be designated to return."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes