PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Martellus Bennett placed on Injured Reserve

Status
Not open for further replies.
He caught a touchdown too, but I agree with you that Floyd was overrated around these parts and didn’t do much at all.

MF had that legend moment game of the highlight crushing block and the TD. SOP for some fans to elevate that player to semi-superstar status (I'd guess there were "extend him now" talk). But considering the Viking O has been pretty good yet MF has like 5 receptions in 6 games, evidence suggests you are spot on Sup :).

Unfortunate fall from grace for a player with his first 4 years averaging in the ballpark of 50(?) receptions per year.

Jesus, Scott Chandler, I hope the guy is OK because hes had a serious surgery but I think Alge Crumpler would be a better signing than him these days.

Humm...can Tony Gonzalez unretire?
images

True MaineM but I believe he had one catch that went for 28 where the Broncos seemed to simply forget he was on the Patriots. Wide open and open field ahead of him. The rest of his catches were 5 for about 25. Marty has skills but it seemed pretty obvious (or at least to these eyes) he was definitely not any where near MB 2016. We could have used him (we really could have used him healthy!) but based on what I saw this isn't a big loss to the O.

Agree. I was just addressing the assertion that he "couldn't catch." One might even say that Bennett's hands were about the only part of him that was fully functional.

Agree. I was just addressing the assertion that he "couldn't catch." One might even say that Bennett's hands were about the only part of him that was fully functional.

Especially now with that torn hamstring.

When's the deadline to start Mitchell or Valentine practicing?

I'll certainly defer to Miguel, but I don't think there's a "practice window" with IR-DtR as there is with PUP/NFI.

Also, AFAIK, there's no requirement that the team use the 3-week roster exemption for players coming off IR, PUP/NFI; it's an option. Hypothetically, the team could simply active an eligible player to their active roster directly, as long as they have an open roster spot.

..... - Teams can bring back any two players they've placed on IR at any time after the eight week mandate

..... IF MM and VV are both healthy enough to return and they can be activated at any time, BB may be waiting to see what position is needed more. Is there an injury at DT/NT or WR will dictate. Why not use that as a kind of shadow roster?

This. It's hypothetically possible that one of VV or MM is activated to one of the two open roster spots today.

Also, as I noted in an earlier post, OT Andrew Jelks from the NFL List has already been practicing with the team for 3 weeks on a roster exemption, and must be activated by 4pm today or he's done for the rest of the season.

While we're awaiting word on what player will be filling the Pats' two open roster spots, some practical considerations:

- Today, Tuesday, is team meetings. No media access, AFAIK, so no "new guy spotted at practice" reports. If there are any roster transactions by the Pats today, it's possible that we won't hear anything until after they come up on the transaction wire ~4:30pm. So, unless someone like Reiss gets word from a "source", we might not hear about any shiny new toy (from IR or from "outside") having been added to the roster until late tonight or even Wednesday at practice.

- OT Andrew Jelks (NFI) has been practicing with the team on an exemption for three weeks. He must be officially activated to the 53-man roster today by 4pm or he's done for the season. Since he's already been practicing with the team, it wouldn't be immediately obvious to any media people who might be hanging around that he's been activated since he already has a locker, etc.

- Same more or less goes for VV and MM, who have both been seen around the facility on a regular basis while re-habbing their injuries. However, it seems likely that one of them would be officially activated to the 53-man today so they can start practicing with the team tomorrow (if that's going to happen this week at all).

- If no "new guys" show up tomorrow for practice (and if none of Jelks/VV/MM have been officially activated by then), it probably increases the odds that the Pats will fill the two open roster spots from the PS. Since most of those players have already been practicing with the team for several weeks, there's really no reason for the Pats to change their official status until closer to the end of the week.

I'm going out on a limb to suggest that we haven't yet seen the best of Dwayne Allen. The fact he has stuck despite his issues tells me they believe in him (they have shown they aren't afraid to cut bait). He shows value as a blocker and can catch a few balls. They ran the ball well on Sunday, which is really what you want most of the time with a 2-tight end set. They are moving the ball well enough that I don't think another dynamic pass-catching TE would make a huge difference.

What about Tony Garcia?

That was the quietest exit by a top draft choice ever. What exactly was wrong?

Too bad, had some nice potential to help our red zone offense.

I think another poster had it right in that the signing may have lit a fire within Allen.

Can we have a fourth thread on this? It doesn't feel like three are enough to cover it in sufficient depth.

Or, just perhaps, Bennett helped Allen learn more.

Perhaps, yes, but I think it's more likely that the signing lit a fire under him given. I think that's the natural reaction anyone would have if a team signs/drafts/trades for your potential replacement.

I'll certainly defer to Miguel, but I don't think there's a "practice window" with IR-DtR as there is with PUP/NFI.

Also, AFAIK, there's no requirement that the team use the 3-week roster exemption for players coming off IR, PUP/NFI; it's an option. Hypothetically, the team could simply active an eligible player to their active roster directly, as long as they have an open roster spot.

I'll repost here what I put in the other thread about what I learned:

Throwing this out there for anyone (like me) who was a little confused about the IR return process.

1) Once player has been put on IR, they can't even start practicing for at least 6 weeks.
2) Once 6 weeks has gone by, the team can choose to have a player start practicing.
3) To be able to start practicing, the team must use a "designated to return" slot on the player.
4) The team can wait as long as it wants to have the player start practicing. There's no "use or lose" deadline with respect to the start of practice.
5) However, once the player starts practicing, the team has 21 calendar days to either activate the player to the 53-man roster or decide to leave the player on IR. And as we know, if the team decides to leave the player on IR, the team does not get the "designated to return" slot back.
6) There's no minimum practicing time. A player could be reactivated immediately
6) However, a player must be on IR for at least 8 weeks. So if they were to start practicing once the 6 week clock expires, they can't be reactivated for 2 more weeks. But if they start practicing 8 or more weeks after being placed on IR they can be reactivated immediately

What about Tony Garcia?

That was the quietest exit by a top draft choice ever. What exactly was wrong?

I could tell you, but then BB would probably have both of us "mysteriously disappeared".

Or traded to Cleveland.

I'll repost here what I put in the other thread about what I learned:

Throwing this out there for anyone (like me) who was a little confused about the IR return process.

1) Once player has been put on IR, they can't even start practicing for at least 6 weeks.
2) Once 6 weeks has gone by, the team can choose to have a player start practicing.
3) To be able to start practicing, the team must use a "designated to return" slot on the player.
4) The team can wait as long as it wants to have the player start practicing. There's no "use or lose" deadline with respect to the start of practice.
5) However, once the player starts practicing, the team has 21 calendar days to either activate the player to the 53-man roster or decide to leave the player on IR. And as we know, if the team decides to leave the player on IR, the team does not get the "designated to return" slot back.
6) There's no minimum practicing time. A player could be reactivated immediately
6) However, a player must be on IR for at least 8 weeks. So if they were to start practicing once the 6 week clock expires, they can't be reactivated for 2 more weeks. But if they start practicing 8 or more weeks after being placed on IR they can be reactivated immediately

I saw this in the other thread AFTER I'd already posted here.

Anyway, great post! And thank you!

Agree with the bold.

Not sure what you mean with the rest, GB had signed him to a multi year contract, so he is still a Patriot in 18. .? ? ?
That a good point. I guess I was assuming the Greenbay contract wouldn't work here but if GB picks up the signing bonus maybe it will. I'm also not sure Bennett's keen on coming back based on some of his comments and the fact that he's been banged up pretty badly the last couple season.

I'm going out on a limb to suggest that we haven't yet seen the best of Dwayne Allen. The fact he has stuck despite his issues tells me they believe in him (they have shown they aren't afraid to cut bait)...
…and that there is no financial benefit to cutting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe