PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark Daniels on the fall of Mac Jones

There is nothing wrong with him getting advice from Orlovsky or anyone else. There is obviously more to the story. It is either because Mac didn't listen to Patricia and Judge when he went to outside sources or he disparaged the coaching when he reached out to Alabama and it got back to Belichick. It wasn't that he sought advice from outside. Mac has his own QBs coach that he has had since high school and has a throwing coach that he confers with regularly.

BTW, Mac's QB coach said on Tom Curran's podcast that he advised Mac to seek a trade after his rookie season because he didn't like the situation for Mac. He didn't go into detail why, but I found that interesting.

There is nothing wrong with him getting advice from Orlovsky or anyone else. There is obviously more to the story. It is either because Mac didn't listen to Patricia and Judge when he went to outside sources or he disparaged the coaching when he reached out to Alabama and it got back to Belichick. It wasn't that he sought advice from outside. Mac has his own QBs coach that he has had since high school and has a throwing coach that he confers with regularly.

BTW, Mac's QB coach said on Tom Curran's podcast that he advised Mac to seek a trade after his rookie season because he didn't like the situation for Mac. He didn't go into detail why, but I found that interesting.
Rob I seriously don't think Mayo is going to move Mac in 24 unless a Fourth rounder is in the cards.

Rob I seriously don't think Mayo is going to move Mac in 24 unless a Fourth rounder is in the cards.

I think they will move him. Even if he can turn his career around and be a good or somehow even great QB, it won't be in New England. I think there are still players and people in the coaching staff who have lost confidence in the guy. I think even if it is a small contingent, there are people in the Patriots organization who don't trust him and probably never will. Therefore, he has no future here.

Mac needs a fresh start and so do the Patriots. I wouldn't be surprised if the QB room in 2024 is 100% players who were not with the Patriots in 2023. Especially if they get an OC who runs a different system. There is no need to keep either Mac or Zappe for continuity in that case.

Although I think Zappe would be better suited for the Shanahan offense than the Patriots' offense. He is a QB who does better when he doesn't have to do a lot of thinking and just has to make the quick throw to his first or second option. So if they do go the Shanahan or McVay tree route, he might be worth keeping as a back up if he will accept the role as a back up.

is it even worth reading?

Daniels has never struck me as much of a "journalist"

Karen Gureigian and Chris Mason share the byline. So it wasn't all him. Karen is a great journalist.

If Mac is the starting QB in '24, I'm out on Mayo.
I hated Mac too saw all the flaws but you know who did him no favors. :rolleyes: Tee Higgins in FA and a Second Round WR and Pop Douglas I would give Mac another chance with them. I don't have Juju - Thornton and Parker on my Team. :rolleyes: Another Scenario Harrison Jr. - Tee Higgins and Pop Douglas: Mac would look like Goff even he couldn't mess that up the possibilities. :cool:

I hated Mac too saw all the flaws but you know who did him no favors. :rolleyes: Tee Higgins in FA and a Second Round WR and Pop Douglas I would give Mac another chance with them. I don't have Juju - Thornton and Parker on my Team. :rolleyes: Another Scenario Harrison Jr. - Tee Higgins and Pop Douglas: Mac would look like Goff even he couldn't mess that up the possibilities. :cool:
And what happens when Mac floats a ball outside the numbers to Higgins that gets INTed, again and again, like w/ Parker?

Come on man, we've seen this flic already, and it wasn't good. Are you telling me that all your 'moon ball' posts about Mac were BS?

And what happens when Mac floats a ball outside the numbers to Higgins that gets INTed, again and again, like w/ Parker?

Come on man, we've seen this flic already, and it wasn't good. Are you telling me that all your 'moon ball' posts about Mac were BS?
Tee Higgins and Harrison Jr could pull em down Great catch radius. This is crazy but something in me wants to give him another chance. I would like him as a back up for this year it wouldn't kill us.

Tee Higgins and Harrison Jr could pull em down Great catch radius. This is crazy but something in me wants to give him another chance. I would like him as a back up for this year it wouldn't kill us.
I'm putting you on ignore if you continue this crazy talk. Lol

I'm putting you on ignore if you continue this crazy talk. Lol
Sad Anthony Anderson GIF

One of the radio stations had him on yesterday but I missed the interview, I just heard some highlights as they played them back, he was the guy who told Mac to ask for a trade because they weren't supporting him like they should have.

That's probably true, but the team has so many holes on offense. QB is obviously one, but if the top 2 guys are gone by #3, logically I can understand targeting WR and tackle this year. Go with either a vet or Mac in 2024 and maybe they are around a .500 team, picking in the middle of the 1st next year. Then they can consider a QB they like at that time if it's still an issue. I don't think they should necessarily reach for Jayden Daniels just because QB is a big need, when other big needs could be reasonably filled with their draft position this year. They could take MHJ and trade up a bit for a tackle with the second pick, or trade down from 3 to around 6 or 7 for a premier left tackle and pick up an extra 2nd rounder, and use those to trade up for a mid-1st WR. You can majorly patch up some holes that way and tread water with a vet QB, or Mac if a new OC can turn him around, then try to find solutions in 2025.

Of course, if Drake Maye is still on the board at #3, draft that MF. Obviously.
I agree. I think bringing in rookie QB to this situation, may end up ruining him like it did Mac.
An example is Purdy. I didn't think much of him, but he's impressed me in these playoffs. I think I HUGE part of that is confidence, something he would absolutely not had, if he was not put in with the great situation he was put in.
There are just too many holes on offence, with new coaching staff, and what looks to be lower tear OC (since most sought after choices seem to have been hired elsewhere/ declined to join Pats coaching staff)

Going back to the between the ears component, I do think Mac moving on is best for everyone. This is not a market for the faint of heart. There aren't many QBs that can deal with that, neverminded a rookie or someone psychologically damaged.

I agree. I think bringing in rookie QB to this situation, may end up ruining him like it did Mac.
An example is Purdy. I didn't think much of him, but he's impressed me in these playoffs. I think I HUGE part of that is confidence, something he would absolutely not had, if he was not put in with the great situation he was put in.
There are just too many holes on offence, with new coaching staff, and what looks to be lower tear OC (since most sought after choices seem to have been hired elsewhere/ declined to join Pats coaching staff)

Going back to the between the ears component, I do think Mac moving on is best for everyone. This is not a market for the faint of heart. There aren't many QBs that can deal with that, neverminded a rookie or someone psychologically damaged.
We have to get over Mac.

Not every young QB put into a situation without weapons will respond like Mac did. Mac's failures may just be particular to Mac. Stroud is excellent, but the Texans actually have a poor line outside of Tunsil. They have nice receivers, but no true #1, not even Nico Collins.

I know Zappe is not very good, but he showed he could actually do things that Mac couldn't do. It's not a rarity for a QB to be mildly competent even behind a team without many weapons.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back