PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark Daniels on the fall of Mac Jones

I hated Mac too saw all the flaws but you know who did him no favors. :rolleyes: Tee Higgins in FA and a Second Round WR and Pop Douglas I would give Mac another chance with them. I don't have Juju - Thornton and Parker on my Team. :rolleyes: Another Scenario Harrison Jr. - Tee Higgins and Pop Douglas: Mac would look like Goff even he couldn't mess that up the possibilities. :cool:
Unreal

Article after article about the dysfunction going on in Gillette. Hoping that Mayo is able to stabilize things in the locker room.
Tall task since everyone involved was part of the dysfunction.

Tall task since everyone involved was part of the dysfunction.
I don't see how Mayo was part of the problem since he would have little to nothing to do with Mac under BB.

Funny how guys who suck make the best analyst.

Maybe that's why Mac was texting with Orlovsky. "Hey Dan, can you put a good word in for me with your bosses? I see a career change coming soon" :rofl:

Rob I seriously don't think Mayo is going to move Mac in 24 unless a Fourth rounder is in the cards.
If someone offers us a fourth rd pick for mac it means we have to give them a third rd pick

We have to get over Mac.

Not every young QB put into a situation without weapons will respond like Mac did. Mac's failures may just be particular to Mac. Stroud is excellent, but the Texans actually have a poor line outside of Tunsil. They have nice receivers, but no true #1, not even Nico Collins.

I know Zappe is not very good, but he showed he could actually do things that Mac couldn't do. It's not a rarity for a QB to be mildly competent even behind a team without many weapons.

hoping that we put a young QB in a horrible situation and they respond better is not a good plan. they may handle it better, but bad habits develop.

we should want to put our young QB in the best situation possible. if the team looks garbage again i may even sit them for a year.

hoping that we put a young QB in a horrible situation and they respond better is not a good plan. they may handle it better, but bad habits develop.

we should want to put our young QB in the best situation possible. if the team looks garbage again i may even sit them for a year.
Welcome to life in the NFL. No one intends to put QBs in any bad situation. If anyone on this board thinks that's true, they're demented. Injuries happen, you deal. You can't make a stud WR materialize out of thin air.

I think its naïve or just pure ignorance to act like situation doesn't matter with a young QB and how they currently look.

Fans desperately want mac jones to be 100% of the problem and we plug another guy in and its super bowl!!. but we cant ignore the huge elephant in the room that is the roster/coaching etc. that was put around him.

unless we want to repeat the same mistake with the next QB we draft.

This is the essence . We don't know if it was the Qb or team. You know what's easier.. pretend it's a QB problem and everything else is fine and do a carousel again.

What if the next qb also fails . Will you again keep drafting without developing the team ?

At this point I think we need to realize that it's a 3 year rebuild and look at drafting qb real high in 2025 or 2026 and go with veteran or stop gap.

I think Russ idea of trading for fields is our best bet. Trade our 3rd rounder for fields.

Trade 3 with Atlanta and get their 8, 2nd rounder this year and first rounder next year . Draft OT with 8 and another OT and Swing tackle with 2 2nd rounders.

Overpay pittman or Higgins for 4 year contract with let out after year 2 and see if we are catching lightning in bottle with fields. At this point fields is a safer bet than daniels .

If Nix is available around 28 or 29 trade up and draft him for development.

This is the essence . We don't know if it was the Qb or team. You know what's easier.. pretend it's a QB problem and everything else is fine and do a carousel again.

What if the next qb also fails . Will you again keep drafting without developing the team ?

At this point I think we need to realize that it's a 3 year rebuild and look at drafting qb real high in 2025 or 2026 and go with veteran or stop gap.

I think Russ idea of trading for fields is our best bet. Trade our 3rd rounder for fields.

Trade 3 with Atlanta and get their 8, 2nd rounder this year and first rounder next year . Draft OT with 8 and another OT and Swing tackle with 2 2nd rounders.

Overpay pittman or Higgins for 4 year contract with let out after year 2 and see if we are catching lightning in bottle with fields. At this point fields is a safer bet than daniels .

I really wanted Tee Higgins but the Bengals have a lot of cap for a very good Team I see them keeping him. Really happy BB is not shopping for the groceries anymore he can't screw up our WR selections.

I really wanted Tee Higgins but the Bengals have a lot of cap for a very good Team I see them keeping him. Really happy BB is not shopping for the groceries anymore he can't screw up our WR selections.
Now someone else can!

(I kid. I'm interested to see how whoever the Grocery Picker is is going to build the team going forward)

Why bother with Fields? Is he really better than the available free agent QB's? If folks don't want any of the QB's in the top 15, then expect our veteran to start for a year longer than expected and draft a QB in the late 1st or in the early 2nd.

BTW, we need a top OL coach if you want to depend on rookie OT's.

I'd rather keep the 3rd and use the $24M over the next two years to sign a veteran

Welcome to life in the NFL. No one intends to put QBs in any bad situation. If anyone on this board thinks that's true, they're demented. Injuries happen, you deal. You can't make a stud WR materialize out of thin air.

they may not intend to. But when your master plan is to sign the likes of Juju/parker as your top receivers and hire a bunch of Jags on the OL and sign DC and special teams coaches to call plays on offense that isn't putting your QB in the best situation.

you act like the patriots tried really hard to bring in stud receivers and solidify the line. they ignored both...

There was no fall, he’s a very limited player with a very limited skill set.

He was just another below average qb who played well for 7 or 8 games and people looked at it differently because he was a rookie, he came into the NFL as good as he will ever be he has nothing to improve on because he’s so limited.

Mac Jones is not an NFL starter he doesn’t do one thing at at above average level, his arm strength is horrible and he can barely function elements, Mac Jones of the world grow on trees.

they may not intend to. But when your master plan is to sign the likes of Juju/parker as your top receivers and hire a bunch of Jags on the OL and sign DC and special teams coaches to call plays on offense that isn't putting your QB in the best situation.

you act like the patriots tried really hard to bring in stud receivers and solidify the line. they ignored both...
6 OL picks in the last 2 years on the OL. Other than Kirk, I don't see a single WR in FA that would've been a huge difference maker. And according to an article by Callahan BEFORE the season, JuJu was a call made by the analytics guys, not Belichick.

Zappe looked 100x better behind that OL. Imagine if we could've actually gone out an gotten any other decent QB this past spring.

6 OL picks in the last 2 years on the OL. Other than Kirk, I don't see a single WR in FA that would've been a huge difference maker. And according to an article by Callahan BEFORE the season, JuJu was a call made by the analytics guys, not Belichick.

Zappe looked 100x better behind that OL. Imagine if we could've actually gone out an gotten any other decent QB this past spring.
Lol

Hopkins got over a 1,000 yards with no QB. He could have made a difference. Six o-line picks in two years and the Pats still had one of the worst o-lines in the NFL last year. And Zappe was just as awful as Jones. He just wasn't a head case. He was just not talented enough or could read defenses to be a decent starter.

And how do you really know that JuJu wasn't Belichick's call? He owns it either way. You cannot have final say in all personnel decisions and then say he was overruled on the moves that didn't work out. If you listen to the pro-Belichick crowd, he was forced to take Jones, he wanted to keep Meyers but was overruled, and he didn't want JuJu but listened to the analytics (even though the Patriots don't use analytics and Belichick is on the record several times saying analytics in evaluating players is bunk). I am sure that guys like Judon and Barmore were 100% Belichick's decision though.

Jones owns his failures, but stop acting like this team did what bad teams do when they ruin young QBs. Every single thing you shouldn't do with a young QB, they did.

6 OL picks in the last 2 years on the OL.
This ^^^ guy. Lol

We're all set at OL. :rofl:

2024:
D. Andrews - C (31) UDFA
J Andrews - C (24) 4th
S Sow - G (25) 4th
A Mafi - G (23) 5th
C Strange - G (25) 1st
V Lowe - T (24) Vikings 6th
C McDermott - T (31) 6th
C Anderson - T (27) UDFA
A Stueber - T (24) 7th

2025:
J Andrews - C
S Sow - G
A Mafi - G
C Strange - G
V Lowe - T

Last edited:
Wouldn't go that far. There's a reason why he was cut last summer and will probably be cut again.

Also Belichick was the GM so the buck stopped with him re signing Juju.
I didn't say Zappe was good. I was simply saying what the 2 looked like comparatively.

Things had changed with Belichick and the front office.

That much was clear. How many stories need to be put out there before you believe it.

This is what's bizarre about people who deny Belichick's status in the last few years: you have the front office appointing his successor, Jonathan's right hand lawyer is going around questioning coaches and undermining Belichick during the middle of the season, Mayo is rubbing people the wrong way because he knows he's the heir apparent, there are coaches going against the gameplan, and yet people will still say Belichick was in total control.

It's bonkers.

Hopkins got over a 1,000 yards with no QB. He could have made a difference. Six o-line picks in two years and the Pats still had one of the worst o-lines in the NFL last year. And Zappe was just as awful as Jones. He just wasn't a head case. He was just not talented enough or could read defenses to be a decent starter.

And how do you really know that JuJu wasn't Belichick's call? He owns it either way. You cannot have final say in all personnel decisions and then say he was overruled on the moves that didn't work out. If you listen to the pro-Belichick crowd, he was forced to take Jones, he wanted to keep Meyers but was overruled, and he didn't want JuJu but listened to the analytics (even though the Patriots don't use analytics and Belichick is on the record several times saying analytics in evaluating players is bunk). I am sure that guys like Judon and Barmore were 100% Belichick's decision though.

Jones owns his failures, but stop acting like this team did what bad teams do when they ruin young QBs. Every single thing you shouldn't do with a young QB, they did.
Injuries on the OL hurt. But Sow, Onwenu, Strange & Andrews all look like good picks. I'm not sure about Mafi.

I also think the OL looked horrible because of the QB who was abysmal. That makes a huge difference.

When Zappe went in, the OL looked so much better.

I think you're a bit in denial about what went down in New England the last couple of years. The reports on Belichick re: JuJu came out before we knew JuJu was a bust. But all the backstabbing and internal dysfunction about coaches who new Mayo was taking over, the front office sending their agent in to stir the pot, altered game plans, how much more evidence do you need?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back